SLP Head Problems??

bigblock600

Reaction score
Friend of mine has a '99 700 rmk 700 with slp heads on it. runs great around edmonton, but as soon as you reach 4000-5000 ft of elevation in the mountains, it bogs, floods itself out and runs like a pile of S**t. we tried changing jets, but it made no difference. as soon as we dropped elevation, the sled began to run strong again....could this be caused by the aftermarket heads? i know slp specifies different heads for different elevations, but would wrong heads create this problem????

PS...if you have any stock 700 heads for sale, pm me!
thanks

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the compression of the motor - that should give you an indication to the elevation domes in the head.

bigblock600

Reaction score
higher compression indicates heads for lower elevations? what should compresion be stock so we have something to compare it to?

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Do you have low elevation heads on it. If you do that could be your promblem. Most high elevation heads don't work in low elevation unless you use race full with them. Check the spark plug boots. Might not let enough spark to plugs.A friend of mine had a 900 wildcat back a few years. Ran good until we got close to the cabin at boulder. Same thing just like to rich.Jetted way down. Stopped the wet plug problem but no power short on fuel then. Checked plug spark was low. Put on new plug boots. Jetted back up. Problem solved.If dosn't work, Best thing call SLP tech line at 208-524-3397 or E-Mail slptech@slp.cc. they are willing to help. Had problem with a couple of different parts. No hassle when called them.Very helpfull and full of info from these guys. Had a can on my 900 from them. First ones built. Baffle broke sent me a new one for half price. Warrenty is 1 year after purchase date. had for 2.5 years. So saved $150.00 from buying from Canadian dealer. After all shipping and boarder crossing fees.:d.

bigblock600

Reaction score
yeah we were having problems with the spark plug wires coming out of the boots, maybe there isnt enough spark to burn the fuel.

9hundo

Friend of mine has a '99 700 rmk 700 with slp heads on it. runs great around edmonton, but as soon as you reach 4000-5000 ft of elevation in the mountains, it bogs, floods itself out and runs like a pile of S**t. we tried changing jets, but it made no difference. as soon as we dropped elevation, the sled began to run strong again....could this be caused by the aftermarket heads? i know slp specifies different heads for different elevations, but would wrong heads create this problem????

PS...if you have any stock 700 heads for sale, pm me!
thanks

Some of those sleds came with altitude compensators, maybe his is screwed up. If not, are the vacuum lines hooked up to the carbs and airbox? If they are disconnected or have fallen off, it would run great at low elevation but start running worse and worse as you get higher. Good luck:beer:

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
All depends Clifford. If just going out and playing, then a lite beer. And going hard core than really lite. Because lots of beer don't mix with playing.:nono: But if at end of day a regular beer would be fine. Then with some rum and chicken for a snack.:d And some more :beer::beer::beer: for a chaser.:rolleyes:

bigblock600

Reaction score
we tried cutting the wire and re-threading it into the boot, but it didnt really help much. he has hotzman's variflow, but it doesnt seem to make any difference. we checked all the lines and hoses and found no problems.
i think the plan is to ditch the vari-flow, get stock heads and new plug wires and try again

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
The old boots could be shot. Even if you cut the wires and put the old boots back on. Try new boots, use all rubber not the ones with hard plastic in them. Then if that don,t work then check the vary flow system. Do you know what elevation heads he has on. If not pull of the cover and their will be a # stamped onto it. I don't think the heads are promblem.

Top Bottom