Slider/hifax wear

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So at the beginning of the season i put new sliders on the sled and when i was unloading it the other day i noticed the sliders a fawcked. Worn to the metal in the front (kinda in front and behind the front boggy). I am putting on scratcher this weekend but i really haven't road in low snow really at all. Any one have any ideas to help make them last longer. kinda stupid ? but i can only think of putting scratchers on to help.

blurr85

Reaction score
have you checked your track deflection?
Also is the rear axle adjusted equally on both sides?
If axle is tighter on one side then the other it could wear down unevenly I would think.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every thing seems to wear equal both sides are the same, track deflection is good, alinment is good. almost seems like theres to much pressure on the front of the skid i might try to see if i can tighten the limiter strap some to while i have the skid out.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have my apex with the limiter strap fully extended, and YES this does increase slider wear!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have my apex with the limiter strap fully extended, and YES this does increase slider wear!

OK thanks that's what i thought cause my limiter is slacked right off just sitting there I might tighten in just a bit. I don't want to mess with it to much cause it rides pretty good as it is.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so i put new slides on rode 45km on sat in alberta beach. got home looked at the slides NOTHING LEFT. I jut don't get no mater what they should last longer than that, the 2 other sleds i was with had no problems. When I put the slides on I checked track clips all seemed good (one was missing) and i tightened the the limiter on notch. Both sides wear the same about 10 to 12 inches from the front they are worn right down any ideas would be great i have a trip coming up and i need the sled to last more than 45km.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loosen your track up a whole lot. Too tight track tension will contribute.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my track pretty loose, doubt thats the problem any looser and it would probaly rachet with the exoverts.

darkday

Reaction score
How were the snow conditions? ICY? you running a 2" track? what track did the other sleds that day have? I tried a older and lighter camoplast track and it would melt the sliders so i put my old one back on and problem solved. The clips were wore out i assume.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
What brand of sliders are you using? I tried the cheaper aftermarket ones and they don't last very long..(1000 miles usally tho) There is also a way to break in the sliders which make them last alot longer!! If yours are only lasting 45 miles something is messed up unless that 45 miles is down the highway...

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the trails wernt great out at alberta beach. The other 2 sleds i was with one had a 2.25 inch track and the other had a 1.75 track both were fine same snow conditions. What i dont get the first set lasted around 500km and this set 45km i bought both sets of sliders from cycle works pretty sure they are oem. i ordered some grafit ones so hope they last longer but i got figure out why they arn't lasting first.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in the old days I used to drill 1/8 holes in the slider.......snow would pack into the holes and keep them cooler.......I also run a torch over the Nylon when new........give a shine to it and they last twice as long.......learned this from building mill equipment, on the chain runs.....

worst case I used to have a ice racing sled that I had a 1 gallon tank on the back and a slow drip of antifreeze to lube the sliders.......was great and at over 100 MPH on ice they never wore out.... lol but today the eco guys might not like it lol.......plus when you get lost you can follow the green trail back home! if I remember it was a drop every 2 seconds per slider.

sounds like your going 100 mph with zero snow in track......was 45 km with scratchers? drive half mile and see if scratchers are scratching snow into the track..........get them as far foreward as possable........try the bolt in the back of the ski trick.......it might get more snow in there.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in the old days I used to drill 1/8 holes in the slider.......snow would pack into the holes and keep them cooler.......I also run a torch over the Nylon when new........give a shine to it and they last twice as long.......learned this from building mill equipment, on the chain runs.....

worst case I used to have a ice racing sled that I had a 1 gallon tank on the back and a slow drip of antifreeze to lube the sliders.......was great and at over 100 MPH on ice they never wore out.... lol but today the eco guys might not like it lol.......plus when you get lost you can follow the green trail back home! if I remember it was a drop every 2 seconds per slider.

sounds like your going 100 mph with zero snow in track......was 45 km with scratchers? drive half mile and see if scratchers are scratching snow into the track..........get them as far foreward as possable........try the bolt in the back of the ski trick.......it might get more snow in there.

No scratchers had some ordered but aperenty the cycle works parts driver forgot them at the south side store so today they will come in. I did do some high speed runs across the lake but there is still some snow on the ice. I guess i put the scratchers on and new hyfax and hope for the best. as long it lasts a weekend that would be better.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off, I have had bad luck with aftermarket sliders. Cycle Works sells their own sliders that they have extruded and I have not had much luck running them. They may work better if you can temper them. We make sure that we get genuine Polaris sliders now and even then you have to break them in. You can do what was suggested and take a torch to them or just take it easy on them till they "work harden" and break in. I would suggest some scratchers and ordering some genuine Polaris sliders from a reputable dealership.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off, I have had bad luck with aftermarket sliders. Cycle Works sells their own sliders that they have extruded and I have not had much luck running them. They may work better if you can temper them. We make sure that we get genuine Polaris sliders now and even then you have to break them in. You can do what was suggested and take a torch to them or just take it easy on them till they "work harden" and break in. I would suggest some scratchers and ordering some genuine Polaris sliders from a reputable dealership.

Ya i am defiantly going to to try and break the next set in better and i will have scratchers by then, I also ordered some fancy graphite sliders so hopefully that helps to thanks for all the help guys

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i am defiantly going to to try and break the next set in better and i will have scratchers by then, I also ordered some fancy graphite sliders so hopefully that helps to thanks for all the help guys

Scratchers will really help no matter what type of sliders you run. They will help your sled run cooler also.

I was very dissapointed when I changed sliders for the first time on my 98RMK. The stock ones lasted well over 8500 miles and were not worn through yet. The replacement set from Cycleworks were almost worn out in 3 tanks of fuel...lots of snow and the track was adjusted properly so those were not causing the problem. I found out later that they have a custom mold and extrude their own. Not sure if they still do this but I won't purchase ANY sliders from them any more.

I used to manufacture plastic parts and learned a lot about plastics while working at this job. There are many types of plastic which have many different characteristics some of which are better suited for specialty applications. Also the WAY in which you extrude a part can affect the density of the part. There are 4 main variables when shooting plastic...all of which can affect the end product for the good or bad. A poorly made plastic product can look exactly like a well made one unfortunately.

Good luck with your sled!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all makes sence now cause both sets i bought were from them, This time they will not be and probally never again. I actually looked good at the sliders last night and its to the metal almost all the way down.

Top Bottom