slide on coal creek road

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can say i have never seen a slide in that spot, its about 1km up from the staging area, several of us discussed this today, no one remembers seeing that spot slide that far to the road. We real have to take these signs in to consideration, it made us change where were thinking of going to ride, conditions were handle bar deep all day, everywhere ride safe out there, check you conditions before you ride

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that is a crazy little slide... I've never seen it make it out to the road... Anyone else see this slide or have any pics of other shocking run outs from the last few days. I think posting what we see wouldn't hurt as a heads up, this slide was one of many signs that made me choose different riding then what was planed as well.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That slide is at km 39.5 on the Coal Creek road. Just before one starts to climb out of the valley bottom. It looks like there are two slide paths that join each other (the top two red arrows) and both look insignificant. The third arrow shows a broken poplar tree beside the trail indicating to me that there was a decent wave of debris. The groomer operator cleaned up all the branches off the trail on Wednesday around 4:00 pm.

So, let's reiterate; be careful out there and keep looking up for hazards. There was another 29 cms last night in the area south of Fernie.

IMG_2867.jpg

Reaction score
Website
www.Avalanche.ca
Some more photos.

Looking down from the quarry flats(?) to the road below..note the snow pushed up onto the side of the trees in right of picture:

A volkswagon beetle sized rock that was up turned from the force of the slide:

Some tree damage...

View up the track:

Top Bottom