Sledding Code of Ethics

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wait for the person behind you at the corners so they know where you tured off.nothing like riding with a person that never looks back..i will only ever do that one time with that person..if they are going to fast for the rest of the group..frik let them go..only go as fast as you are comfortable with..if they look like strathcona county cops...stay away from them:p:beer:

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After you Spank the guy on the Doo or the Polaris always be gracious and never boast. Always remember the playing field is never even. Compliment them on their valiant effort and remember to be conscious of the fact that they are riding inferior products. Remember to take into consideration that they have spent their hard earned dollars to purchase and modify their machines only to disscover that they have made a big misstake. Practice compassion on the less fortunate. Smile and be the bigger man.

:d:d:d

....well wrote brother ....well wrote! LOL !

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Giving hand signals on the trail for the number of riders to watch out for is always nice ......I know I appreciate it !!We have taught our boys this courtesy and it is a nice heads up when leaving at the end of the day or when racing up anxiously looking for the fresh pow!!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After you Spank the guy on the Doo or the Polaris always be gracious and never boast. Always remember the playing field is never even. Compliment them on their valiant effort and remember to be conscious of the fact that they are riding inferior products. Remember to take into consideration that they have spent their hard earned dollars to purchase and modify their machines only to disscover that they have made a big misstake. Practice compassion on the less fortunate. Smile and be the bigger man.

Sounds like this guys got issues,pissed that all the doo's and poo's walk all over your sh*t.Or are you just pussy whipped

Wildreaper

Reaction score
After riding the Whitecourt poker rally on the weekend I realized that there are a lot of people with no "IDEA" what Sledding Code of Ethics are. Slow riders riding down the middle of the trail, they never look behind them, riding side to side. I hate to say it but a lot of the groups that hog the trail had a Women in the front leading their group. If you are going to go slow stay to the right and look behind you once in a while. We don't want to run you over but if you are going down the trail at 25 km/hr and in the middle you are in the way.
I can let my women lead, but she and I wear communicators and I tell her to get over and let people past when i see them approaching from behind.
Sorry for the rant but please teach other riders.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think a key thing is to keep it down around houses. my 900 is loud, and i sled from my house and keep it quiet and slow till im a bit away.

also if you are going to ride the ditch, and you are on the side heading towards the traffic not with, keep a eye out for oncoming sleds. i know sometimes conditions lead to this, but if i am on the side moving with the traffic, chances are i am crusing at a fast rate of speed and not expecting you to be there when i come over a driveway!!

stop and wait for those around you. they'll never want to go with you again if you dont wait.

stop to help those in need.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score

Let the Arctic Cat guys have their 5 seconds of fame and bonding.
By looking at Scotty's "Litter" I don't think he will be spanking any Doo's.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think a key thing is to keep it down around houses. my 900 is loud, and i sled from my house and keep it quiet and slow till im a bit away.

also if you are going to ride the ditch, and you are on the side heading towards the traffic not with, keep a eye out for oncoming sleds. i know sometimes conditions lead to this, but if i am on the side moving with the traffic, chances are i am crusing at a fast rate of speed and not expecting you to be there when i come over a driveway!!

stop and wait for those around you. they'll never want to go with you again if you dont wait.

stop to help those in need.

Really good one. We have to drive by a few houses to get onto the trail up the mountain. The kids and I have stopped at various houses to ask them if we are disturbing them with the sleds. All have said no by all means keep going, be careful etc. And all were thankful for our courtesy.:)

Jason LaRoy

Reaction score
Always check over your shoulder and make sure your next in line is still coming.Our group always stop to gather everyone up and then carry on.Also if you see someone parked on the trail or up in the alpine,swing over and see if everything is ok.:twocents::snowmobilers_wave::snowmobilers_wave:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After riding the Whitecourt poker rally on the weekend I realized that there are a lot of people with no "IDEA" what Sledding Code of Ethics are. Slow riders riding down the middle of the trail, they never look behind them, riding side to side. I hate to say it but a lot of the groups that hog the trail had a Women in the front leading their group. If you are going to go slow stay to the right and look behind you once in a while. We don't want to run you over but if you are going down the trail at 25 km/hr and in the middle you are in the way.
I can let my women lead, but she and I wear communicators and I tell her to get over and let people past when i see them approaching from behind.
Sorry for the rant but please teach other riders.

thats not much of a rant its more truth than anything

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an eye for an eye buddy,you talk sh*t on doo's and poo's and we talk sh*t on your kitty's
PS moron

Mr. Cranky pants... it was only a joke. Don't get yur shorts in a knot. I ride with alot of Doo guys and we all joke about each others sleds all the time. It's all part of the fun. Us Cat guys get it pretty bad sometimes. It's all good.

Cheerz :beer:

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always try to be the "ambassador" of any sport I'm currently enjoying and to keep that thought in mind whenever I interact with others (be it on the trail or elsewhere) as that is the exact moment you can either sour them on what it is you're doing or turn them to your side!!! I found this on-line and thought that it has many valid points and promotes responsiblity which I believe is a fundamental aspect no matter the sport.
:wavymsn:

Tread Lightly!’s Tips for Responsible Snowmobiling

Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas.

Travel only in areas open to snowmobiling.
Avoid trails with inadequate snow cover.
When climbing a hill, approach the summit with caution.
Do not ride off cornices.
Avoid riding on frozen waterways when possible.
When approaching a corner, reduce your speed to avoid sliding.
Lean into turns with your upper body to enhance the sled’s maneuverability.
Cross roadways at a 90-degree angle.
Pump your brake when going downhill to avoid locking the brakes.
Be aware of unmarked hazards or obstacles hidden beneath the snow.
Travel at reasonable speeds.
When riding at night, use extra caution. Wear reflective clothing and reduce your speed.
Do not accommodate extra riders over the delineated limit.
Comply with signs and barriers.
Buddy up with two or three riders as riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown.
Avoid riding in potential avalanche areas. Use terrain to your advantage, avoiding steep slopes, cornices, and gullies or depressions; periodically check for clues to an unstable snowpack. Remember, one rider at a time on slopes.
Respect the rights of others including private property owners and all recreational trail users, campers and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.
Be considerate of others on the trail.
Ride single file, keep to the right and pass on the left only when the trail is clear.
When stopping on the trail, pull your sled as far right and off the trail as possible.
Yield the right-of-way to skiers, snowshoers and those passing or traveling uphill.
Use common snowmobiling signals to communicate with your group and other riders.
If crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from the landowner(s).
Educate yourself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.
Obtain a map of your destination and determine which areas are open to snowmobiles. Make a realistic plan, and stick to it. Always tell someone of your travel plans.
Contact the land manager for area restrictions, closures, and permit requirements.
Always check the weather forecast and avalanche conditions.
Understand how to operate your vehicle and its controls.
Prepare for the unexpected by packing a small backpack full of emergency items.
Wear a helmet, eye protection, and other safety gear.
Layer clothing and wear a durable waterproof outer shell and footwear.
If you suffer a breakdown, stay with your sled, and stay on the trail.
Make sure your snowmobile is mechanically up to task. Be prepared with tools, supplies, spares and a spill kit for trailside repairs.
Take an avalanche class. It provides skills on accessing snow conditions, performing rescues and using safety equipment.
An avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe should be worn on your body at all times.
If a person develops hypothermia, warm the person up by rubbing them vigorously and getting them into dry clothes. Give them warm non-alcoholic liquids.
Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitat and sensitive soils from damage.
Low snow, don’t go. Riding in these conditions can damage plants and soils just below the snow’s surface.
Avoid disturbing historical, archeological, and paleontological sites
Be respectful of wildlife’s wintering habitats.
Avoid “spooking” livestock and wildlife and keep your distance.
Motorized and mechanized vehicles are not allowed in areas designated Wilderness.
Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.
Carry a trash bag on your snowmobile and pick up litter left by others.
Pack out what you pack in.
Dispose of all sanitary waste properly by packing it out or bury it in a shallow hole in the snow.
To minimize harmful emissions, keep your engine in tune.
Protect the soundscape by preventing unnecessary noise created by a poorly tuned vehicle or revving your engine without need.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thought this was a great point, always appreciate it when I meet a group going the opposite way and they use the correct signals.
Giving hand signals on the trail for the number of riders to watch out for is always nice ......I know I appreciate it !!We have taught our boys this courtesy and it is a nice heads up when leaving at the end of the day or when racing up anxiously looking for the fresh pow!!

Attachments

• Hand Signals.jpg
    Hand Signals.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 42

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More of words to live by but apply to sledding as well....."Treat everyone the same way you would like to be treated".

As for sledding:
Never drive by a fellow sledder who is stuck or in need.....no matter how many guys he's already with or how minor the situation appears. I firmly believe that if you sacrifice 5 minutes, 2 hours or even your entire day to help someone out....you're next trip will likely be your best ever. :beer:
Karma! Karma! Karma!

Top Bottom