Sledding Around Castle Mountain Resort

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was checking out on google earth the valley area around castle. It looks like pretty decent meadow riding just before the ski hill all along the river area between the road and the river. Can anyone confirm as google earth can be deceptive sometimes. When i used to ski i always remember seeing a stageing area called Carbondale. Probably between there and the ski hill in the valley would be a good day im guessing. It didnt look like there were too many meadows past the ski hill off the main road however from google earth.

Can you stage at the ski hill? Would be nice at the end of the day to head into the T-bar pub before hitting the road.

Thanks in advance

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes u sure can stage from the ski hill we do it all the time theres a few meadows back there especially once you get to the gate you can go left up the bowls or right into some meadows and bowls. And yes the t-bar is a great spot for a few :beer::beer:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But you can not ride any of that country you are looking at....has to be past the ski hill...

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come you cant ride before the ski hill??? So where can you ride from Carbondale?? I took a shot of the area im talking about just before the ski hill and east of the main road. Looks like an awesome little area.

Also, the second shot is the middle kooteney pass to the left and to the right is the bowl area im wondering about...

Attachments

• Castle.jpg
    Castle.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Middle Kootney.jpg
    Middle Kootney.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 252

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya the first map is only open to hiking and backcountry skiing :thumbsdownm: that is some amazing country back there same with some of the areas just after the carbondale corner on the way to ski hill as far as i'm concerned public land public access :d but the second pic is the area I was reffering to

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should you not be able to ride in any of the area's that they ride their quads in? We rode before the ski-hill, past the ski hill and on-ward this summer. Quads all over the place. We came to one area with a locked gate and when we talked to the fish police he said they unlock the gate in the winter for the sleds. (Don't want quads in there chasing the grizzley bears, gotta walk so they can chase you). If you like trails there is a lot around Lynx Creek and area. I will get my maps out and have a look.:d

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is a few differnt area`s before the ski hill.If i think right u can sled out of those area`s .Carbindale i have rode out of and went to the north kotneeny pass.Most of the times there is`nt as much snow there. So we go to the hill,It gets really deep past the hill just have to now were u at as there is a lot of ridding area to.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the crowsnest quad squad would now the trails.But am sure in the winter for sledding its all a go.they have lots of trails down there and lead to all sorts of country.

just have to look into whats allowed.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first map he has on there is a definate no go fro sledding or quadding it is permanately closed the mountain back there is mount st.eloi and the backside of haig and tombstone anything behind that towards bc border is fair game for sledding and quadding just that one little bowl before the hill is permanetely closed

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about that little meadow im talking about in the first google earth picture along the river in the valley just on the other side of the road? Does forestry allow you to stage and Carbondale and ride south to the ski hill area? If so i think that meadow would be fair game then.

Good discusion btw guys. Im going to try and hit up Castle before Christmas.

:beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you can ride along the east side of the road and play in the meadows back in there u could stage at either carbondale or at the ski hill to access those meadows you can ride on either side of the road except that one creek I do believe it is called suicide creek but you can go any other place

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya thats the creek i meant was in the main valley beside the road. I didnt mean the creek up that next bowl/drainage system just on the other side of 'North-Bowl' off the ski hill to the north. Looks too steep anyways up there.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's pretty steep would be good for some serious hillclimbing but no meadows back in there that is the only place you can't sled in back there. I'm trying to get into an area that you can see from the beavermines lake corner looking in towards bc there is a huge hill/mountain that is bald on the top with a chute going up the main I wanna get into there I think it is off of the north kootenay trail then back down towards the ski hill gonna have to do some exploring more back there this year:d

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you ask these same questions every year about riding around the ski hills...fernie and westcastle...yes you can ride carbondale but what u are talking about is a no go. Nobody would ride it anyways.....all the low country around Castle is all willows and slide alders...you ride the high country off Middle Kootenay...

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a ton of low riding around castle all the way back to carbondale or go uptowards rainy ridge were you can get into nice meadows below kootenay pass with out playing in the willows you just gotta look around a bit

Top Bottom