Sledders who are'nt quaders

WRK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the Tomcar I helped pull one out at elinor lake.....very heavy!!! no winch no 4 wheel drive was a pretty expensive golf cart. They maybe good on the hard packed mountion trails but you have to bring a chainsaw with you to get around the mud

Nothing like a golf cart! Pics are of a rollover at 60km/h. I laguhed my ass off the hole time. Crawled out, flipped it over, drained oil out of cylinders, fired it up and way I went. No damage structurely, just busted every fender and tore off the side mirrors, and bent the spare tire holder. I rolled 1 once endover end and a couple times sideways, not sure how many though hard to count went in a high speed roll. "note to self, snow drifts may not always be soft as they look". These things are too much fun and though they will not out perform a quad or rhino in the mud, they will get you by and then the rest of the ride is fantastic. Like a real life video game, amazing how safe you are too smash around in these things and continuing your riding day with out costly repairs. Anyway I may be biased a bit, but sure have fun with mine and any one who rides sleds or tomcars with me knows I do not just pussy foot around and baby my toys!!!

Attachments

• IMG00074.jpg
    IMG00074.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 331

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam with cat girl from a few post back. even while we're doing our summer stuff most of the talk is about what went on while sledding.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys are going to hate this statement but ......... Quads are 10x worse on the environment, and are likely one of the major causes of land closures (caribou aside).

Nothing gets a tree-hugger going like quad ruts through a meadow, muskeg, etc. I know - I live with one.

Why does every little mudhole on my families place in RMH place seems to scream to a guy on a quad "Hey - why not tear through me 10 or 11 times". Now we have to put locks on the gates.

I was dealing with Ted Morton over the winter on this "grizzly bear" closure down south. We (as sledders) made great some great progress on it - but in his words "There was no way in the world that the OHV people were ever going to set foot in those areas". And he is a very avid outdoorsman. And after seeing all of that footage on the news last fall of all of those idiots on the long weekend at Sibbald Flats down by Calgary - set us back 5 years dealing with the government.

Ok - rant over

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to check cows on horse back in a couple different forestry reserves years ago. I went out there again last year and these places are getting tore up, its hard trying to get cattle to cross these long deep mud pit that have been made by off roaders. This kind of thing will result in more closures. My quad is used for fencing and plowing my driveway, and roping the odd cow off of!!! hehe.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I hate to brake the news but it is forums like this and many more that are basically destroying it for everyone. I am a sledder and quadder myself, but forums like this where we list all our favorite ridding areas and camping areas is free advertisment for everyone where the areas are becoming over populated and abused. The majority of us respect what we are doing and try to lead by example but there are many that do not feel the same. The same feeling goes towards all of us listing what we own/ ride and then post where we live. There are many lerkers on these sites that have no interested in joining us for a sunday ride but rather wait till we go for that sunday ride so they can steal our equipment

OH well enough for now\\

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
how is a quad worse on the environment? any of these trails, if left alone for a year or two, you wouldnt even be able to tell that a quad went through there. grass grows back, so does muskeg etc... it may be ugly to some to see a muddy trail rutted up but that is just thier opinion. the only valid reason i have read or heard for environmental concerns is erosion. but even then 95% of the trails are on flat ground. and snowmobiles cause just as much problems with this if not more. the problem lies in the people who are purposly be idiots doing whatever they do. drinking in excess, garbage, bottles, dumping unused fuel/oil etc... and what about 2 stroke pollution... but i wont go there. and have you seen the rigs that are pulling.... anyway seems most sledheads are just looking to blame the quadders instead of taking responsibilty for thier own actions. alot easier to point fingers i guess. or all the people that are bitching about losing areas can come together, quit pointing fingers, and work on keeping areas open for ALL to use. by the way posts like these are fuel for the greenies, if we cant organize and get along then half their work is done. next time instead of complaining on a PUBLIC message forum, spend that energy/time you were going to use to get involved. just like the government stuff, if you dont vote you dont have the right to compplain. anyway that was just my 2 cents. enjoy

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Miss use/trespassing, garbage left behind are as big a problem as the ground disturbance from quads. Sorry but the damage from quads does not go away in a couple of years(read acidic soils...muskeg... don't self heal here)....come see some leases/crown land where I live. Pressure from overuse will soon have us regulated to sanctioned riding areas with no out of bounds riding or we loose areas like sledders. When the snow melts there is little evidence where sledding occurs....quad trails and pounded out muskeg bogs that are seen by more eyes in summer travel have a greater negative impact. Sorry..just the way it is. Joining clubs helps....getting rid of the idiots is best(you have to report them). I love my motor toys and there are few I don't have.....be sad when I'm stuck in some small riding park waiting my turn.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the surge in population in this province in the last ten years and with the explosion in the sales of quads it means more pressure on our back country areas. Yes we need to have some rules and regs but the government seems to try and do this with a knee jerk reaction and solve the problem with a sledge hammer approach, it seems they listen to the one with the loudest scream and that is who they cater the rules to.

Billy Boy:cool:

Top Bottom