Sled with Least amount of Vibration

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So - I am on a forced hiatus from sledding because I blew out two discs in my back in September - doctor has said no more sledding. Took a "quick" burn on the Daughter's 550 last nite - which the wife ok'ed because I was "packing down" the trails at our place. This just confirmed that I cannot really do without sledding - bad back be damned!

So my doctor is telling me that it is not really the compression (bumps) that is bad on the back - but more the vibration that wrecks the disks. So - I am thinking that since it is a foregone conclusion I will be buying another sled - what to buy? Do you think that there is a big difference between 4 and 2 strokes in the vibration department? I had a Phazer last year - and I seem to remember that is was a little less "buzzy" than my Summit 800R through the bars.

One issue I would have with going with a 4 stroke would be the weight. I had bought an XP this year to replace the Rev this year - just because I thought it would be easier to pull out when I got stuck. Not that I can't throw some $ at a 4 stroke to lighten it up - but if I threw the same $ at an XP - I would likely have a real lightwieght sled. After talking to St. Onge - I will likely do some work in the suspension department with whatever sled I buy again - putting an M-10 on the back and the best front shocks I can get on the front to help the old back out. Of course - I am thinking the lighter the better. I am not a real horsepower nut and am fairly lightweight - so I am going to keep the motor stock with whatever I buy.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Vibration through the handlebars.... Was about a vibration dampner for the handlebars.... They doo make them. And possibly a different seat, that sits higher, so you can stand easier, but with a softer top on it, to help absorb vibrations? Also a better pair of boots, with a softer sole or maybe more inserts in the boots for when you doo stand. When i blew my back, the doctors recomended a back brace, so i went to one of the medical supply stores and bought one... It was kinda like a corsette with 2 stiffner bars down the back to add stability.....wore it for about 3 months and i never needed it again..... Seemed to help when i would ride my motorbike.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vibration through the handlebars.... Was about a vibration dampner for the handlebars.... They doo make them. And possibly a different seat, that sits higher, so you can stand easier, but with a softer top on it, to help absorb vibrations? Also a better pair of boots, with a softer sole or maybe more inserts in the boots for when you doo stand. When i blew my back, the doctors recomended a back brace, so i went to one of the medical supply stores and bought one... It was kinda like a corsette with 2 stiffner bars down the back to add stability.....wore it for about 3 months and i never needed it again..... Seemed to help when i would ride my motorbike.

Thought about the vibration dampener for the bars. Have that one my "Mods" favorites in my Internet Explorer. I have been using a kidnet belt for years - is the back brace a little different?

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took out a 2009 summit 600 e-tec and you had to stop and see if the thing was running because it was so smooth.There was 0 vibration in that thing.I'd would be looking at that unit ,very nice to ride ,half pull every time start cold or warm.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there, barefooter. I read your past posts and like you, I could not stand to be away from sledding. I agree with what Summitric says and would like to add that if you you buy a sled with a battery, Warn makes a sled winch that only wieghs 15 pounds. That would sure save on the back on the rare times you would be stuck. Hope it all works out good for you.

Top Bottom