Sled trailers - which one to buy??

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the time has come to buy a sled trailer, and I am wondering what everyone recommends?

I think I would like a 12ft aluminum open deck with the front salt guards/drive off ramps.

Brands that I have been looking at have been, Aluma, Floe, Triton, Yacht club. Have I over looked any? I would like something that is going to last, not something with a bad build quality and possibly have to replace in a few years.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, anything I should look for beam spacing, decking thickness, tire size?

Thanks Guys

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definatly get at least 13" tires. I have never been a fan of the small fat tires. Triton seems to be a pretty good trailer. never owned or used one but the look decent.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Triton aluminum if its in your price range. There's a few used around. These things are beautiful. Can't feel it behind your truck. Extremely durable, big 15 inch tires. Can push and pull it around all by yourself with no effort. And yes a similar steel one is a good workout to manueuver around the yard. You will see fuel savings on long trips. Got one in our group and its been awesome no issues. Not to mention the extensive lineup or accessories triton has such as top covers etcetc for the future. This trailer will last as long as you require it. I have the same trailer in steel and its a lot more noticable towing, uses more fuel, is already rusting badly after only a few seasons and is not fun to move around the yard. Even the ramp weighs a ton. This trailer has the extended tounge option you can basically back it uup on a 90 degree angle without hitting the truck. Also I wouldn't get anything smaller than 15" tires on a rig that will be making trips to the hills. Easier on the bearings and tires also nicer when you have to drive up a beat up logging road. Did I mention triton trailers are sweet?

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Triton aluminum if its in your price range. There's a few used around. These things are beautiful. Can't feel it behind your truck. Extremely durable, big 15 inch tires. Can push and pull it around all by yourself with no effort. And yes a similar steel one is a good workout to manueuver around the yard. You will see fuel savings on long trips. Got one in our group and its been awesome no issues. Not to mention the extensive lineup or accessories triton has such as top covers etcetc for the future. This trailer will last as long as you require it. I have the same trailer in steel and its a lot more noticable towing, uses more fuel, is already rusting badly after only a few seasons and is not fun to move around the yard. Even the ramp weighs a ton. This trailer has the extended tounge option you can basically back it uup on a 90 degree angle without hitting the truck. Also I wouldn't get anything smaller than 15" tires on a rig that will be making trips to the hills. Easier on the bearings and tires also nicer when you have to drive up a beat up logging road. Did I mention triton trailers are sweet?

Yeah, all the things that he said^^^^ aluminum for sure IMO, one guy can move around easily by hand and effortless towing. 15" tires for sure, more rim size choices in the 15 as well and you can get better tire selection. One buddy has an aluminum Aluma, seems like a good trailer, pulls good etc no issues with it but I think the Tritons are a good trailer too. Other buddy has a steel trailer, and you definitely feel it behind the 1/2 ton. Get one with a nice long ramp (as long as possible) if you can, no one ever complained about having a long ramp. Torsion or axle, up to you, torsion probably has a better ride but to be honest I've never been able to tell.

If you go aluminum just watch for salt corrosion when you are buying... and if you buy aluminum, make sure you keep it washed.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

so triton trailers suck ?

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen that trailer listed on Kijiji.

So how would a person check for salt damage? And in what areas would you notice it most??

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
honestly had my doubts about the tilt trailers, but after using dale daleugs i think its what i would buy. pull the pin and tilt her down, back off, or if no reverse pull it off (very easy due to the angle of the tilt) and when you get back drive it on and one arm it back down....no ramps to mess with, no taking the splash guards off. no doubt the type i will go for when i buy

Lanko

Reaction score
Maxwell nailed in it his first response, Triton bar-none, expensive but worth every penny if you plan on using it awhile. I bought a steel 2-place 10 years ago not a cheap one either, and wish I would have gone aluminum, no rust=happy sledder. Martin seems to have pretty decent pricing on them when they go "on sale", but a good used one might be the way to go.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
triton is a good trailer and featherlite is by far the best alum trailer but thats my 2 cents :d

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't either, may go and look at a couple used this weekend, but need tips on where to look for salt damage. I called MMS and got two different prices from the two stores and Trent's was higher :eek:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Hey boys I work at Allandale trailers and I will check my book tommorow and see if they make a featherlite that small, I dont think so but I will post what I find. They are the best trailer but you will have to buck up more cash for one. We also have the Mission 12 foot snowmobile trailer with salt shields and they are priced at $2800.00 plus taxes. I think they compare to the Triton as we sold them for awile and I think you could swap stickers and not know the difference! Do your research and talk to people that use them and buy the trailer that offers you the most options for the buck.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the time has come to buy a sled trailer, and I am wondering what everyone recommends?

I think I would like a 12ft aluminum open deck with the front salt guards/drive off ramps.

Brands that I have been looking at have been, Aluma, Floe, Triton, Yacht club. Have I over looked any? I would like something that is going to last, not something with a bad build quality and possibly have to replace in a few years.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, anything I should look for beam spacing, decking thickness, tire size?

Thanks Guys
I have a conntinetal 28ft loaded and I use it for my business and I have about 80,000 k on it and its been great. Buy enclosed out of sight out of mind and its true I have 4 sleds and to much money into them to see them stolen or get cover in rocks and salt of the highway . I bought a steel frame because its in the city a lot and it takes quite a beating so be careful wear u are and the roads u are on because the light weight trailers dont handle the rough roads a well good luck

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen that trailer listed on Kijiji.

So how would a person check for salt damage? And in what areas would you notice it most??

Anywhere salt and water can get trapped, like up in the cross members underneath where the deck joins the frame, in any tubing that is sealed on one end etc. If its trapping water, then its trapping salt water on the highway and that is where the corrosion will start. You will notice it if its there, most open trailers are wide open underneath, give it a good inspection before you buy it. We had to do some welding on a buddy's trailer this winter and I noticed a couple spots that were starting to corrode.

If you spend the $$ on a nice trailer like a Triton or Featherlite, it might be worth it to look into one of those electronic salt box things they have for cars. It would be easy enough to hook into the power for lights, I don't think they draw that much current, might even be able to run a small 12V battery on it for when the trailer is unplugged and stored. They "apparently" work good for cars and trucks, not sure how effective it would be on a alum trailer but might be worth looking into, maybe someone else here has some experience with them?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Just as I thought, featherlite does not build an open sled deck so we will throw that idea in the bush! Great idea on the electronic device for the trailers for corrosion, I wonder if it would work?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as I thought, featherlite does not build an open sled deck so we will throw that idea in the bush! Great idea on the electronic device for the trailers for corrosion, I wonder if it would work?

Disregard my earlier statement, looking into the electronic thing a little more, apparently its a gimic LOL here's a couple links, one with a certified test done, the old man was thinking he might get one of these for his truck.....so much for that idea haha

Electronic rust prevention

Top Bottom