Sled project .... Apex or RX-1

Reaction score
I plan to build a sled over the summer . I'm tossed up between an Apex or an RX-1 . I watched a few Rx-1's with apline turbo kits run and they seem just as fast as the Apex turbo . I have heard some Apex guys complain about fuel controler boxes failing and having to carry a spare one.

Planned build : Alpine 25 or 28 Turbo kit / Cr Tunnel with 162 or 174x16 2.5" track ? / light weight front arms Zbroz Or fox floats ? / light weight
steering post , bars & riser / Boss highrise seat /

The Apex I found is an 07' stock 3200km and the Rx-1 I'm looking at is an 03' also stock with 1650 km in close to mint condition . Both are selling for around $5000.cdn . Could use some feedback on pros & cons of each sled . Other than the fuel system ,& the plastic , what other major differences are there ? keep in mind I'll be ditching the suspension &tunnel . Any known common problems (ie. clutching , jackshaft , chain case , frame ,engine , steering , electrical . ) ???

I've rode both Apex & Nytro Turbo's and prefered the feel of the Apex . Which led me to decide on building my own . After riding a turbo 4stoke I'm hooked !

Apex162

Reaction score
I would go with the nytro because they stop making the Apex. I am sure that when you change susp. the nytro will be what you make it and easier to sell down the road. Very little problems on the yammis because there built tuff and heavy. Doos could could not handle stock power, lets see boosted power

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I understand it you can make the RX1 handle as good as a stock APEX (just from what other owners have told me), where as you can get the apex much improved over stock with the upgrades you speak of. If you check the classifieds on KSL.com you can find some already boosted sleds for very fair prices. That might be a cheaper way to go if $$ matters. Cheers and good luck!:beer:

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are building APEX or RX1 go with the Apex....Throttle response is way better.....There was a big issue with the RX1's called Throttle chop and it was bad for killing the motor if you had to get out of the throttle quick...(carb system) I had a Turbo RX1 and i got rid of it for those reasons....Go with an Alpine or MCX kit with a Garrett 28RS or 2871 Charger..Just my 2 cents

BD

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with an Apex, front mount or midmount, good service with Powderlites or Alpine. Could probably buy a used one for a great deal already built. Flame out on RX1 big problem at higher boost. Other issues are flooding when upside down.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do an Apex over the RX1. Aside from the chassis improvements the fuel injection is way more turbo friendly. I still prefer the Nytro after riding them all, it just takes about 500k to get used to after riding an Apex

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Here is a rebuilder for a project....but it is a vector

FOR SALE BY SEALED BID

S92443.JPG

[media]http://www.eurekacrm.com/ProductImages/32/S92443A.JPG[/media]

Item: 2009 YAMAHA VECTOR LTX Stock #: S092443
VIN Number: JYE8HD0019A001405 Kilometers: 348
Particulars: 973CC,AUTOMATIC,WHITE, 136 INCH PADDLE TRACK, REVERSE, ON LINE BIDDING ONLY, DAMAGE TO REAR, KEYS AVAIL.
Type of Damage: Front
Inspections if Required: NONE REQUIRED
Reserve Bid: $3,500 Closing Time: 2 PM Central Standard Time
Sales Taxes (PST & GST) – will be added if applicable . Closing Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009
All VEHICLES are sold AS IS, and SGI specifically makes no guarantee
as to the vehicle's condition or accuracy of the odometer reading.
For steps to follow for inspections click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bids for this item will be accepted at:
S.G.I. Salvage
110 English Cres.
Saskatoon, Sask.
Phone: 306-683-2394 FAX: 306-683-2370
Toll Free: 1-800-667-3973
Note: It Is the bidder's responsibility to ensure that the bid is received at the
appropriate branch before the closing date and time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGHEST OR ANY OFFER NOT NECESSARILY ACCEPTED

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
apex - apex- apex- rx1 is 1st =gen yam fourstroke- apex is a lot more refined, efi better bulk head etc.

if you want a carb i have a light front end damaged 08 vector ltx gt (136) with 800 km that you could get for cheap- the 3 cyl vectors work great with a turbo and are very reliable but not efi. the gt is clicker front shocks, not sure if you could use the dial up rear on a mountain mod or not, but 90% of the parts are as new-

could give you a smoking deal on any parts you need - have connections, i aahh am in good with the boss. ha ha

good luck let me know

T.

** also just bought a front end damaged 09 turbo touring that 177 hp stock. hmmmmm might be a grreeat motor and drive to start with,.. or a sleeper i was thinking of maybe stuffing it in an 03 mod 800 we have with a cr racing tunnel on but... i never have time to act on my dreams..s.

T

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the nytro because they stop making the Apex. I am sure that when you change susp. the nytro will be what you make it and easier to sell down the road. Very little problems on the yammis because there built tuff and heavy. Doos could could not handle stock power, lets see boosted power

actually the apex is available in all models in canada except the mountain, which is still on the list for the us dealers for 2010. there are just a pile of new ones in dealer inventory in canada so they are focusing on the nytro, as it is the third gen mountain 4 stroke from yamy...

nytro to apex i find is personal preference. my buddy has the nytro and loves it and i ride an apex and wouldnt trade it up for a nytro but mine does have more cyl than his. ha ha gotta be different.. T

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
I'm gonna gout on a limb here and assume you are stating that they quit making the Apex mountain...... You can still get the Apex LTX & LTX GT.

So.... If youu are building a custom sled, what the point of even getting the extra crap that sticks out the back? If you are doing the tunnel, skid and 174 track, part out the trail crap and add in the aftermarket length. My factory tunnels are sitting there waiting for an owner like a red headed orphan. Easier to dump the trail equipment east then trying to sell factory length to guys who damaged a mountain sled..... chances are, if you damage your factory gear and have to change anyways, you'll be going aftermarket upgrades.........

prowlerk

Reaction score
I know where there is an Apex rear mount MC Xpress for sale for a smokin deal!!! Pm me if interested

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Apex. The turboed apex's rock. I rode one last year for a couple days and loved it(borrowed from a friend and didn't want to return it), it was an 07 with mc xpress. Another buddyof mine has a turboed rx-1 and loves it but when he rode that turboed apex I couldn't get him off it. I found the apex to be more user friendly than the Rx-1, it handled a little better and throttle response was crisper. Both sleds are sweet though.:d

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna gout on a limb here and assume you are stating that they quit making the Apex mountain...... You can still get the Apex LTX & LTX GT.

So.... If youu are building a custom sled, what the point of even getting the extra crap that sticks out the back? If you are doing the tunnel, skid and 174 track, part out the trail crap and add in the aftermarket length. My factory tunnels are sitting there waiting for an owner like a red headed orphan. Easier to dump the trail equipment east then trying to sell factory length to guys who damaged a mountain sled..... chances are, if you damage your factory gear and have to change anyways, you'll be going aftermarket upgrades.........

yes and no, apex mountian is still available in the U.S. for 2010, all others available in Canada.
You are very wise thinking of grabbing up a shorty and doing your own tunnel, makes perfect sense, i am sure there are some smoking deals out there, you just need the bulk head and motor, wiring etc, the rest would be open to uhh refinement..... i think i seen a red headed orphan but he was at the doo doo shop, hha ha jk.

T.

Last edited:
Top Bottom