Sled powered quads

mustange70

Reaction score
Soo I thought I'd post up about my beast of a machine, started with a 98' scrambler, the 400 in the scrammy went south soo i upsized. pretty much wrapped up now, just a matter of hooking up a few accessories and yanking the carbs out for one last tuning adjustment its all good to go, pictures tell the story:

Sooo feel free to ask any questions, also if you know of any more quads like this post em' up :D.

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could see the pipe routing becoming a problem once you catch your leg a couple of times. Otherwise very sick build! How long did it take?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be fun, Dan at Extreme Machines had a Scram with with a 670 installed.
Set money aside for chains etc.

mustange70

Reaction score
Yeah i've seen dan's machine on the board, pipes haven't been an issue, if its tuned properly the temperature should stay reasonable, plus if it gets to warm its easy to put in a heat guard.

Chains are cheap ;), if it starts going through them i'll jump up to a bigger/stronger unit, honesty i'm more worried about the rear drive sprocket then the chain.

Time frame wise i've be working off and on since mid july, but with a complete donor sled and complete quad this could be done in the span of a week, maybe two, the biggest time consumers is getting all the little conversion pieces sorted out and getting the exhaust in there, but yeah its actually not that bad to do.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can`t see in the pictures but how are you keeping the clutches dry and clean, or are you just riding the quad on trails?

mustange70

Reaction score
yep, all factory popo, aside from the pipes :D.

I extended the factory outside cover, still need to seal off the inside from the wet stuff, I want to keep everything easily accesible, and the way the factory does it doesn't allow for this (big thing is getting to the carbs, with the cvt cover backing not there its actually quite easy to get to the carbs to play with the jets).

mustange70

Reaction score
yeah I'd for sure be interested in a spare motor, this one is down on compression a bit, so a spare for anrebuild would be awesome, how much you want for it?

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I'd for sure be interested in a spare motor, this one is down on compression a bit, so a spare for anrebuild would be awesome, how much you want for it?

was it nessasary to tilt the engine so far forward , i see you have 45 boots on .... was thinking of the same set up on a 425 polaris .... let us know if the tranny can handle that kind of power... will let you know about the 680 post a video

mustange70

Reaction score
Yeah had to tilt it so I could get to motor to clear the front driveshaft and the top framerail, its right around a 45deg tilt if i remember right. Tranny should handle without issue, as going off the size of the output shaft sizes it should be plenty strong, I'd say theres bigger parts in the tranny that what small compact cars haves, plus its only two gears, so its simple. It'll chew sprockets and eat belts before the tranny gives out.

A few vids (not the greatest though) from tuning the beast:

before the carb swap:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ennrwLZhg[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sYq7SrdwVQ[/media]

Last run i had before the weather turned to crap:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9u7EbaZr9s[/media]

My inspiration:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8iUNjWoCg&feature=related[/media]

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any clutch braking, you seem to ride on the flats but just wondering how it would work, say at Mclean creek. Or is this machine not legal, because you know you would get picked on by the fish cops.

mustange70

Reaction score
itd work alright in McLean, rides very much like the stock scrambler, just gotta be careful with your speed as it's very quick. the. powerband of the motor is better suited for wide open spaces, but it's still as good or better in the tight spaces as stock. in terms of being legal, the only issue would be it's fairly noisy, so if you are hasseled it's not much of an issue to fix, but I haven't had many issues yet.

mustange70

Reaction score
Quick little progress update on the machine, I recovered the seat with a new black factory cover, as the old red one was in pretty rough shape, new electric fan is installed, the electrics minus the lights are all wired in, was able to get a bridge rectifier wire in after the voltage regulator factory to the sled motor, (needed to convert the ac to dc, and everything works good, have enough current output to run everything), tach is hooked up, but i need to get a hold of autometer and see if the tach will work with the ac current as the coil's and motor ground to the frame/motor, and the accesory power is isolated off the battery, so a bit of tweaking there, put the rear rack back on as well, then i swapped out the front outer wheel bearings, changed the lube, swapped out the bent left front a-arm, then i mounted up 4 new paddles tires and aluminum rims:

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a few of these scramblers with sled motors on you tube. The acceleration looks absolutely crazy!

mustange70

Reaction score
I've come across the blue one with the 700 xc twin in it, then a 2wd sport with a 440 in it, but thats been it, what else is there on there?

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few guys on gen3usa.com that have sled motors in scramblers. Most of them seem to run them in the sand dunes though.

mustange70

Reaction score
So had it out today for the first real test today on the sturgeon river, and it has some issues, i'm thinking clutching, anyway if theres a load on the bike coming from a standstill it does not move, just sits there and loads up, just like if you left the brake on and tried to go, only it doesn't power through it. Then once you're going, at about 15-20mph, it takes off more like it should till about 40-45, then climbs very slowly till it maxes out around 62-65mph. The quad was barely faster than the 500 can am outlander in the vid. Also in the vid i lost the rear chain (operator installation error lol, the joining link came off, so i'm guess the snap ring wasn't properly in place or i forgot to put the o-rings on and it was loose) and blew the drive belt, now i haven't had a chance to look at the belt up close but i didn't break, the webbing blew off.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas? Perhaps these are issues related to a misaligned belt, perhaps a belt thats to long, maybe both?

I'm uploading the vid right now, its a bit large.

Top Bottom