Sled mods

corey.greene

Reaction score
I have a 08 dragon 800 155. What's everyone doing for motor, track, clutch, etc mods? Rode it this year but think it needs to be a bit snappier for the technical stuff. Really tossing around the idea of turbo. Ideas or experiences? Programmers, clutching? I ride crowsnest pass and golden areas.

St0rm77

Reaction score
have a 2009 assault that i bought in 2010 with 200km on the odometer. here's the goodie list from first to current:
1 -- PCV with the stoutner 162 map <-- crisper bottom end, better pull in the mid, tightened up the reaction on top
2 -- 19/42 gearing from the sock 20/41 <-- made it jumpy.....fun factor way up
3 -- camo CE 155x 2.5 <-- went from stock trencher to powder hound
4 -- MTNTK drop in piston kit <-- engien became quiet, an seemed to be more responsive[/QUOTE]
5 -- air frame running boards <-- you don't realise how floppy your boards are until you try aftermarket
6 -- BD turbo with the EBC and ADA <-- as many guys told me when i was kicking round the idea of boosting my sled; DO NOT DO IT! you will be ruined, every sled afterwards will need either boost or BB.... this is the stuff that perma-giggles are made of
7 -- goodwin performane clutch setup including primary spring, secondary spring and helix <-- nice to be able to tune the clutch easie with the Dalton adjustbles installed.

that's my recipe for epic fun at least!

corey.greene

Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe storm. I'd like to have your sled or one like it. What's everyone's thoughts on a 3" track? Worth it or no?

Are those belt drives expensive? Pros and cons?

corey.greene

Reaction score
Everyone I talk to says stay away from turbos. But I like the idea of a perma grin. What about reliability? I don't want to be fixing this thing every month.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

St0rm77

Reaction score
Everyone I talk to says stay away from turbos. But I like the idea of a perma grin. What about reliability? I don't want to be fixing this thing every month.

i heard the same thing from some guys i have ridden with; but found a BD on the cheap, and figured what the hell. a little bit of a learning curve involved with readign the plugs and feel of the machine to get the fueling right. once i got it dialed; which was about 3 hours in McBride ( keep in mind i had fuel tuning experience from the PCV), it has been pull and go for the last 2 seasons. i'm a little over protective regarding detonation, so i do over fuel with premium gas with 108 race cut in to it to raise the octane to ~100, so it is a little more expensive, but skis to the sky pretty much on demand is WAY to fun to not do it!

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt drive was$1000 with spare belts. One could try the 800 big bore from slp. Think it's a 888 kit but not for sure 100%

St0rm77

Reaction score
i'm sorry Corey, i guess i should quantify my problems from having the turbo installed.
1) i did have the factory BD weld ( the inlet from the exhaust to the turbo - the one at the turbo flange; no the one at the pipe) let go while in the hills..... was running like a$$ for a bit, then got real loud. good thing there was no climbs to speak of on the way down to the truck; limped it out and borrowed a buddies spare. Thanks to teh guys at spindrift that would have stayed open for me to use the MIG to fix it, but that became moot with the spare assault.
2) my track tension adjusting idler wheel plastic doo-hickuses that keep the axle centered twisted and were a prick to fix.
3) kept blowing the charge tube off my inter-cooler in mid climb; tend to kiss the handlebars and get stuck quickly without the extra horses. quick bead roll on the tube and tighten the 'T' bolt clamps, problem solved.

corey.greene

Reaction score
I think I'm sold. Now to find a good used kit. Any advice when looking at used kits and what to look out for? What did you do to fix the idler wheel issue?

St0rm77

Reaction score
for the idler wheel thingy, i think i let the track become to slack and i hadn't been checking ALL of the skid bolts. lesson learned, when we land at the hotel du jour when sledding, i give the bolts a quick once over before the sledding really starts. as far as what to look for in a kit, i would check the shaft play in the turbo ( garretts have some wiggle, but nothing like ' hey, there's a good wiggle there'. check the compressor and turbine blades! had a buddy get burned by a guy when the turbo came with the exhaust stub still installed..... turns out a chunk of something decided to go through the turbine and mash the blades. i got mine off of a guy in washington state through the 'other' sled website, and he was more than obliging to send all kinds of pictures. i think it was 1800 bux shipped, and i spent around 200 bux making the install like i wanted with re-routed intake made from pieces from summit racing.

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 700 rmk I put in factory pro 800 springs in primary and secondary's. Dropped the weights down from factory I think a couple grams(can't remember dam it!). With stock gearing it woke it up, but with the belt drive now it's alive lol

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I swaped the springs out with 800 pro springs on my 700iq. Then dropped the weights a couple grams( can't remember ). With stock gearing it woke it, but with the belt drive it's now alive!!

corey.greene

Reaction score
OK guys I've got a PAR high comp head, Slp Exhaust, Pink exhaust valve springs, PCV, and SLP clutch kit. Cant wait to try it out.

Another question, Prior to doing this work last year the engine was very hard to pull over when it was below -15 temp (first start of the day) but I could slowly get it limbered up and started. But now after installing the head and getting it all back together again it is very hard to pull over. Its in a heated garage and now I am concerned I wouldn't be able to pull er over when its cold (I'm not old or a guy with chicken arms. lol). Anyone else have this issue? How to fix it?

Thanks everyone

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think its just the extra compression. usually 3 pulls first couple i pull sorta slow.
are you using synthetic oil ?

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vance is right, more compression now, but it should loosen up a bit once everything is seated and broken in. I have a head and fix on my 09, and the first couple pulls on a cold morning were very gentle. Sometimes at least 4 or 5 before i really yanked on her.

Top Bottom