Sled for wifey

MattM

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently putting aside a few bills for next season. I’m wanted to get the wifey parts involved in sledding. What should I be looking at? Right now I am looking at spending around 2500-3000. What can I get for her in this price range that isn’t a beat out Junker? I like to ride the mountains be we also would ride allot of pipeline and down on the river ect. I'm looking at a max of 600cc for her as she has not sledded at all. Sleds I have been looking at 200 RMK 600 136, 97 arctic cat 580 ZR efi. Just looking for some input pros and con for any sleds would be great.
Matt

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty tough to find anything in that price range thats reliable. I would be looking at either an 08 600 summit SDI or 600 xp etec. Got both if you are interested

MattM

Reaction score
What kind of cash would a fella be lookin for them sleds

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this may not be what your looking for but id be willing to sell my 03 yamaha rx1 mountain for $3500 the sled has a few cracks where the dash is held on but other than that good shape. its only got 2000 miles and these sleds are as reliable as any. plus its got electric start

m7 carver

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently putting aside a few bills for next season. I’m wanted to get the wifey parts involved in sledding. What should I be looking at? Right now I am looking at spending around 2500-3000. What can I get for her in this price range that isn’t a beat out Junker? I like to ride the mountains be we also would ride allot of pipeline and down on the river ect. I'm looking at a max of 600cc for her as she has not sledded at all. Sleds I have been looking at 200 RMK 600 136, 97 arctic cat 580 ZR efi. Just looking for some input pros and con for any sleds would be great.
Matt

if you could find an arctic cat m5 they are a great sled. you would probably be looking at about 4 grand. They are kind of few and far between:d

MattM

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I'm really looking for something lighter in that 600cc range. Not looking for anything with allot of miles on it or that has been rode hard something lady driven would be great, I spend enough time in the garage fixing our other toys lol. I may have put this thread up prematurely as I am looking into next season, we are buying a house/selling a house right now and space is at a premium. But I guess a guy will take what he can he when he gets it!

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Awesome that you are getting your wife into the sport!!!! Hopefully you end up with a riding buddy that is as passionate about the sport as you are!!!

On the sled topic... In your price range the 600 Rev would be a good choice, but I would also consider an M7. I know you said smaller than a 6, but the clutching is super soft on the older m's and the power comes on real easy.

Something else to consider is track length... The shorter the track, the faster the track speed, and the torquier the sled will be. A little longer track will make it softer on the throttle and easier for your wife to hang on. Also with a longer track you can set the suspension up for less ski pressure, which will make it easier on her arms at the end of the day. A larger paddle will also be more aggressive and harder on her arms, but too small will make mountain riding tough.

Hopefully you can find some sleds to borrow and try out.... That's the best way to decide what you like. And don't forget to set the suspension up specifically for her. There are some good threads over in the ladies forum about what we do to set up our sleds for smaller riders. Don't be afraid to stop by, we don't bite. :d:d:d:d

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the M5 or M6 most women that ride with us love these super light sleds. They are an easy to handle, light to maneuver, and boasting enough power to climb in and out of bowls kinda sled. There is also tonnes of storage under the seat.... Not too shabby for a 120 HP sled in the M600 series, i think they came in 141" track and 153" track, can't go wrong in either track length!

M5 SPECS

M6 SPECS

Try searching KIJIJI.CA for these models and Cat produced the M600 from 2006 until 2011 so you shoud be able to find them at decent prices. in fact I saw one selling from Sylvan Lake 2 months ago for $4500 with low Km's

Good luckin your hunt in any direction of sled models.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stay with a 2 stroke because I bought my wife a rx1 mountain and it was too heavy for her even on the cutlines down here!A 600 is way better for her to get into sledding because it isn't too much machine but enough that she won't be getting stuck all the time either!She'll hate sledding if she has too much trouble too!My wife is on a m6 153 and loves it and she went to the mountains last year and loved it plus a 6 is a nice back up machine for yourself too!!In that price range I would through a set of pistons in right away for cheap insurance!Good hunting!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Matt

Awesome that you are trying to get your wife into the sport!! For that price range, it might be difficult to find a good sled, but I have seen them around. You may have to put a bit of work into them, that's all. An M6 is an awesome sled to learn on, I used to own one. She may quickly outgrow the HP, though.:d:d

if you could find an arctic cat m5 they are a great sled. you would probably be looking at about 4 grand. They are kind of few and far between:d

Not a fan of the M5, SORRY!! We bought one for our then 10 year old son....horrible track on that thing (Attack 20 141), and so underpowered that he was getting into trouble trying to go where we would go. We only kept it for a month. We sold it and bought him an M6, he's 14 and still loves that sled and it has a good track under him (153 Challenger) to get him safely where the rest of us go.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stay with a 2 stroke because I bought my wife a rx1 mountain and it was too heavy for her even on the cutlines down here!A 600 is way better for her to get into sledding because it isn't too much machine but enough that she won't be getting stuck all the time either!She'll hate sledding if she has too much trouble too!My wife is on a m6 153 and loves it and she went to the mountains last year and loved it plus a 6 is a nice back up machine for yourself too!!In that price range I would through a set of pistons in right away for cheap insurance!Good hunting!

Ditto! My wife liked the color of her 1000cc Apex Mtn but lasted about 6 rides before we sold it! Now she rides an M8 and loves it, I ride the M1000 and lovin it other than fuel mileage lol!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife an awesome shape '05 Summit 550 this fall. It's fan cooled, so it's nice and light, and easy to ride. It's easy enough for her to start by herself. It has more than enough power for playing around on the river and ditches. It only has a 1.5"x136 track, but it's good enough for around home, for now anyway. I put a few new parts and peices on it, like a belt, carb boots, and primary spring, but with everything, I'm only into for $3050.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome that you are trying to get your wife into the sport!! For that price range, it might be difficult to find a good sled, but I have seen them around. You may have to put a bit of work into them, that's all. An M6 is an awesome sled to learn on, I used to own one. She may quickly outgrow the HP, though.:d:d

Not a fan of the M5, SORRY!! We bought one for our then 10 year old son....horrible track on that thing (Attack 20 141), and so underpowered that he was getting into trouble trying to go where we would go. We only kept it for a month. We sold it and bought him an M6, he's 14 and still loves that sled and it has a good track under him (153 Challenger) to get him safely where the rest of us go.

This is great info as the M6 is a much better choice for the money and Horse power! Another nice feature is that when your wife outgrows the M6, the re-sale value is still there as in demand sled!!! You could easily trade or sell it off for an M800. My wife says hers is all that and more for her style of riding.:d

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rides a 09 RMK700 155 with elect start.Great all around sled.You can find older ones for less money.07 dragon 700/RMK for probably 5-6K.For 2-3 K all your going to find is old junk that is hard too ride.I look at it this way I would rather have my wife on a modern lite weight easy to ride fun sled that is reliable than on some old beater.We rode 74 miles today and other than my wife having a few dumb stucks there were no other issues as in starting her sled when shes tired.I can't believe some guy tried to recommend an RX1, hell I wouldn't ride that pig!!Something 05 and up in the 2 stroke 600-700 preferably electric start and not a milion miles on it and you'll be the hero

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a yamaha guy but I would recommend not to get a phazer. An M6 is definately a way better way to go. there so nimble and have good power.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well depends on where she will ride dose she plan on mnts as well or just the pipe lines is so then i say the ZR580 is perfect as the 97 was a little rocket when set up right,had one with a 136 1.5 lug and rode the mnts as well as ditchbanging and trails was a great all round sled and could still pull a soild 95 miles an hour(some tuning done) and efi is great.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a yamaha guy but I would recommend not to get a phazer. An M6 is definately a way better way to go. there so nimble and have good power.

My buddy's wife has a 4 stroke phazer and that would not be a good choice for a sled!It seems to be too tippy and lacking power compared to a 2 stroke in that price range.I know they're supposed to go after you turbo them but for the extra money you're only up to 600 class horsepower!My wife's m6 just kills it in the powder plus my daughter can drive the m6 when the wife doesn't go riding and she's 12.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from the Phazer! I know that from personal experience. The RX1 will be too heavy for her in the mountains. In your $3000 price range may be a bit tough to find a good all around sled. I bought my wife an 07 600 REV beginning of last year and she really likes it. Paid $4800 for it. Should be able to find them for around $4000 now.:beer:

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife and Daughter ride '03 & '04 600 144", RMK and Switchback.
Both love the handling and power. At $3G, you'll be around the 2000-'02's for sure.

Top Bottom