sled decks

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i am in need of a new trailer or deck

cannot make up my mind, go trailer again, can keep stuff under my truxedo,
or go deck and never look back in those mirrors??

and if deck, i like the marathon ones, have tried to convince them to give me a demo one through work with a big no go, is there any other brands besides them and sylvan lake manufacturing??

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am having the same problem too dont know what to buy.... i like the idea of having a deck but seams like the truck would be tippy with 2 sleds on it wouldnt it?

but with the trailer wouldnt have to worrry about that but it takes up room in my drive way to store it....

what to do....

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have driven a truck with a deck and besides the weight difference, they ride the same, as tall as a sled is, the weight is low, and it is strapped down to a deck that is shackled to the tie downs in the box.

i am in the same place, a friend of mine uses a car hauler!!! can haul is street rod in the summer, puts a salt shield on in winter, screw some 2x6's across capped with 2x4's so make sorta slings for the skis that hang over the edge, always nice to have a big trailer around for trips to home depot or a farmers yard for some old gem!!!

but a deck nice to travel with!!! sleds out of salts way, less other crap to worry about, easier to drive in unfavorable conditions.

its a toss up.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ride in the spring - you simply cannot beat a deck for ease of turning on tight logging roads half way up the mountain. Other benefits are sleds sit up high and stay a bit cleaner, lights never usually are a problem, no bearing issues - there are pros and cons but you would not regret buying a deck.

Ford01

Reaction score
I have a marathon deck on my 01 ford f-350 i haul 1200lbs of Quads and all my gear is stored under the deck and i have 2 flip hatchs on top for easy access to stuff in the front of the box. The deck is the way to go.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the trailer for years. Bought a deck two years ago and hardly ever use the trailer anymore. In the winter its a pain in the a$$ to drive around town when you get back from riding to find a parking spot when you go for dinner or you have to park on the street and worry about the unit all night. Its nice back into a stall close to the hotel and locker up. In the summer when we are quadding its nice to, I pull a travel trailer and have the quads on the deck. Room under for gear, fuel. etc. I have a long box and I can jackknife the trailer and back the quads right off without unhooking from the travel trailer.I would recommend the deck... no plate, no maintenance, aluminum so not painting.... and people don't usually ask to borrow it or for you to haul there stuff....

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 3 trips to revy last yr I saw 2 guys slide backwards down the road up the mtn. One crimped his rear quarter on the truck, another punched a hole in the front of his enclosed with the deck.

Unless I was always going with 4 guys and had the place to store an enclosed and the $$ to buy / pull it, I'd stick to a deck.

my .02

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about putting a deck on a 1/2 ton, I have a 03 Dodge 1500 and have thought getting a deck, will a 1/2 ton handle it ok??
Also was wondering if a deck will scratch the truck at all?

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about putting a deck on a 1/2 ton, I have a 03 Dodge 1500 and have thought getting a deck, will a 1/2 ton handle it ok??

most half ton's won't be legal. GVRW of the truck is to low for weight of deck, sleds, and occupants including gear.... Would be good to go with a 3/4 ton though....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most half ton's won't be legal. GVRW of the truck is to low for weight of deck, sleds, and occupants including gear.... Would be good to go with a 3/4 ton though....
It can be close with a 3/4 ton. A buddy had to transfer some gear to a trailer to get past the scales on the way to Valemount a couple of years back. 2 sleds on a DECK, wife and 3 kids plus gear in a 3/4 ton superduty. Was a couple of hundred lbs over.

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a used deck for sale. Aluminum, fixed sides, fits long or short box. Beaver tail. Great shape. $1800.00

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did that for years with my 1500 - had timbren load bearers installed over the rear axle - really helped. i would say ok if you were only moving one sled and wanted to keep the box room for gear, but you are taking a chance with 2 plus gear.

The way truck prices are coming down you can get a 3/4 fairly cheap these days.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done both over the years. The deck has it's good points as do the trailers. I liked the deck for getting around town along with early or late in the season riding you could not beat it. I now moved last year into a 4 place enclosed great having the room, everything stays clean, a small heater enables you to get dressed where it is warm, and it is nice to split the fuel 4 ways rather than 2. I am trying to get my oldest son to purshase a deck so that we can have the best of both worlds.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another sled deck make is crosstrax manufacturing out of lacombe all the ones i see are awesom built for less money than marathon. also they will actually talk to you instead of having to deal with middle man salesman.
403 782 7234

also try stl from buck lake bob in buck lake

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Another is superlites(i think thats what it was called) out of stony plain.... About $1800.00 for new extruded aluminum deck... Exceptional quality with led lites and the works.... I had their 4th deck built and loved it, but have opted for the enclosed trailer insted...........THEY ADVERTISE IN THE BARGAIN FINDER ALL THE TIME.

Top Bottom