sled deck with a toolbox in the back of a short box?

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
I have a 2008 dodge 2500 short box truck i use for work and play. Before I started contracting I would put a sled deck in my truck all winter. Now the truck is used for work and I have a standard style aluminum toolbox in the front of the box. I hate the hassle of pulling a trailer for one sled. Anybody seen a deck in a truck that would fit over the tool box? Anybody seen a single sled hauler for the back of a truck? I seen something in the rv trader made for atv's . I just don't want to smash up the tool box with the bumper of my Nytro. The tool box is painted black to match the truck. Any help would be great.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
IMG00272-20111003-1319 (1).jpg This is what the truck and tool box look like.

Attachments

• IMG00273-20111003-1319.jpg
    IMG00273-20111003-1319.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Can't see anything working good for you. It would be too high and tippy. I have seen guys with a flush mounted box and then a simple hinge door on the deck floor for access.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Can't see anything working good for you. It would be too high and tippy. I have seen guys with a flush mounted box and then a simple hinge door on the deck floor for access.
I wouldn't need access if it was a deck. I'd just take out the deck after the weekend. I wonder if the deck legs were moved to sit behind the tool box and the deck was higher just at the front? I don't know. Any knowledgeable fabricators out there? I'm thinking the single sled hauler idea might work better and be lighter to take in and out by myself. Hmmmm...

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only way I can see it working is if you have a deck with a pretty good slope on it. Otherwise you'll be hanging off quite a bit.

Sent from my Desire HD

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I know on mine I have about a 1 inch gap above the rails and even with that a lot of chit blows in the box (snow and sleet). If you custom made one with skirts on it perhaps that would work. Putting the legs back I don't think is a hugh issue as you could but feet on them that go under the box. Might have to call a deck guy and see what they have for options.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 dodge 2500 short box truck i use for work and play. Before I started contracting I would put a sled deck in my truck all winter. Now the truck is used for work and I have a standard style aluminum toolbox in the front of the box. I hate the hassle of pulling a trailer for one sled. Anybody seen a deck in a truck that would fit over the tool box? Anybody seen a single sled hauler for the back of a truck? I seen something in the rv trader made for atv's . I just don't want to smash up the tool box with the bumper of my Nytro. The tool box is painted black to match the truck. Any help would be great.

I'd say it would be a lot easier and cheaper to pull the toolbox versus trying to build a deck to go around (or over) it. We've built lots of custom decks, but I think it might look a little goofy being that high off the box rails. If you are wanting a single loader, or something a little more radical to go up and over, send me a pm...I'm sure we can figure something out for you.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't need access if it was a deck. I'd just take out the deck after the weekend. I wonder if the deck legs were moved to sit behind the tool box and the deck was higher just at the front? I don't know. Any knowledgeable fabricators out there? I'm thinking the single sled hauler idea might work better and be lighter to take in and out by myself. Hmmmm...

Hey Dusty...give me a call i have a option for ya... : )

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have to do what operators, electricians, instrument mechanics etc. do, sled deck with lay down box underneath I have run these for years and they are about the only way. call raven, or similar for ideas they call them rat packs.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
You'll have to do what operators, electricians, instrument mechanics etc. do, sled deck with lay down box underneath I have run these for years and they are about the only way. call raven, or similar for ideas they call them rat packs.
Yea that seems to be the general consensus on the way to go. Does anybody have an idea on what a sled deck with a roll out would cost?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

x2 this idea, seems like the best of both worlds, and not taking either one out on the weekend/week

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a STF deck and built my own roll out tray underneath, it ain't fancy but it does the job. I was quoted 1200 for a made metal roll out from raven, I took a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and put rollers underneath used 2x4 for the sides and a 2x6 for the front works ok for me.

wiseguy

Reaction score
This is how I used to have my work truck. I know it's a long box and I was able to go with a tool box in front of the deck, but I also had a rolling cargo bed and it worked awesome. Had to have my deck on 6" riser legs though and just filled the sides in with aluminum checkerplate to help keep all of the crap out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 139

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dusty with all that $$$$$ you make I'm surprised you don't have brand new rig sitting there that you can use specifically for sledding:d
Did your new sled come in yet?

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Dusty with all that $$$$$ you make I'm surprised you don't have brand new rig sitting there that you can use specifically for sledding:dDid your new sled come in yet?
Hahahaha! I wish! Yea the M8 I Snopro came in but I decided to go back to a Yammi. Gonna be on another Nytro this winter.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on buddy! Turbo again?
I sold the Doo and Terry hooked me up with a '11 M8! Cant wait to ride that biotch!

Top Bottom