sled deck sitting on box rails?

nutma6

Reaction score
i have a 2006 duramax and just bought a steel sled deck that sits on the box rails and wondering if the sides of the box will crumple if i put 2 sled on it.
i have heard the old trucks hold them fine but the new ones not so well.
it does not sit in the four holes. it just has angle iron that runs the length of the box.

does any one know if it will hold? i really dont want to take the chance with this.
thanks for any help.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old one didn't collapse the box, but "spread" it a bit so that it was really hard to close the tailgate.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think it would be good if the deck sits on the rails,

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Dont do it,,,you'll be asking for trouble,,,the box sides arent designed to have loads on them.The welds will split and crack
There are lots of threads on this issue..

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an aluminum deck like that about 7 years ago.... I had legs built under it to stay off the sides.... I think it would have done a lot of damage to the side rails.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2006 duramax and just bought a steel sled deck that sits on the box rails and wondering if the sides of the box will crumple if i put 2 sled on it.
i have heard the old trucks hold them fine but the new ones not so well.
it does not sit in the four holes. it just has angle iron that runs the length of the box.

does any one know if it will hold? i really dont want to take the chance with this.
thanks for any help.

if u don't wanna take the chance then why would u even consider it...do it the proper way and u won't have any issue's especially if they stop u in BC...weld some legs on and bolt it down

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would rather put some 4 by 4 in there or whatever height you need to get that deck off your box and tighten the chit out of it!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
um isnt this how the "new" marathons are mounted....

Really, can you even compare the two, the engineering and design that went into the new marathon is quite nice and their aluminum, this guys talking about a "steel" deck with some angle iron that sits on the rails. I thought the new marathons were a joke aswell until I looked at it at the show, very nice design, I would run one in a heart beat if they werent som damn expensive!

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bro has a bull dog and there so nice it would be are only choice from here on out!

nutma6

Reaction score
Ok thanks I thought maybe since its distrusted to the hole rail it might work but ill weld up some legs for it.thanks for all the info.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really, can you even compare the two, the engineering and design that went into the new marathon is quite nice and their aluminum, this guys talking about a "steel" deck with some angle iron that sits on the rails. I thought the new marathons were a joke aswell until I looked at it at the show, very nice design, I would run one in a heart beat if they werent som damn expensive!
There have been some issues with cracked box corners on trucks using these decks.

pissednbroke

Reaction score
I live in B.C. and there is no rule that I know of the only regs are on securing in and mine is held on with 4 1/2 bolts through my steel head ache rack is only held with bed rails that are 1 1/2 tubing but that is bolted to the tops of the box with 6 3/8 bolts and i carry two sleds all the time and been pulled over and inspected and never anything said about it.

Top Bottom