Sled Deck Seals

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question was asked a while ago about sealing sled decks on a couple different threads. I finally got around to finishing my shower curtain at the box sides and have attached pictures for anyone interested.

I did this just to keep a bit of moisture out of the deck since it sits pretty high and our gear bags were getting wet and full of road grime under the deck.

I didn't do anything with the back, nor did I run the rubber right tight to the underside of the plywood. I wasn't after a perfect seal, but this is easy to change now if I change my mind.

The rubber wraps around the front corners and stops at the front support legs leaving about a 42" gap.

All it took was 2 pieces of 1x1x1/8" aluminum angle and a scrap of 1/8 x 5" nitrile rubber from Goodall. If you change vehicles often, I'd probably figure out a way to bolt the angles on instead of welding them direct to the frame.

View attachment 190422
View attachment 190423

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I think you'll find the bags still getting wet. I've had several different sled decks and unless you can somewhat seal the back, that is where the majority of the spray gets in.... Also check the lower edge of the tailgate, as it might be a good idea to put some generic weatherstripping along the bottom of the tailgate(not all tailgates fit tight, and road spray will get in there).

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find the bags still getting wet. I've had several different sled decks and unless you can somewhat seal the back, that is where the majority of the spray gets in.... Also check the lower edge of the tailgate, as it might be a good idea to put some generic weatherstripping along the bottom of the tailgate(not all tailgates fit tight, and road spray will get in there).

Thanks Ric. We'll see how it goes.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

This is 100% true. And now that you've somewhat sealed up the sides, you'll likely find it to be even worse, as you're going to have much more of a vacuum at the back with no air coming in at the sides. In MY opinion, if you aren't going to seal the back, you'd be much better off NOT sealing the sides at all as well.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put everything that rides under the deck in rubbermaid tubs with lids

Limbo

Reaction score
Other than meticulously cleaning off the ramp before stowing it has anyone found a solution for this source of moisture. I really notice this in the warmer spring months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is 100% true. And now that you've somewhat sealed up the sides, you'll likely find it to be even worse, as you're going to have much more of a vacuum at the back with no air coming in at the sides. In MY opinion, if you aren't going to seal the back, you'd be much better off NOT sealing the sides at all as well.

Since there's still some air flow over top of the rubber on the sides and at the front centre, shouldn't create a vacuum, or at least I'm hoping not. If it does, it's easy to add a curtain across the back also.

We'll see how it goes the next time it rains / snows.

If it's crapp, I'll admit it and show pictures of the back seal if I have to add it.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put everything that rides under the deck in rubbermaid tubs with lids

Rona has some black crates with yellow lids - keep tools, oil, etc. in one of those. They're nice because the lid works good to stand on when changing & the crates are tough enough to sit and stand on.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My TruckBoss was sealed all the way around the front and sides, as well as the top of the tailgate. It kept things dry but the dust would still get in at the sides and bottom of the tailgate. I added some thick foam weather seal to the sides and bottom and now it keeps out pretty much all the dust. Might have to replace every so often as it gets compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added 2" aluminum angle iron to the bottom of my marathon deck and then glued 1" thick 2" wide black cryogenic foam (same as a wrestling mat) to seal in the sides and front. The deck partially rests on box rails and collapses the foam 1/8". I then used the tailgate seals from grand west and sealed to the tailgate and then doubled it up to seal to fronte edge of the top of the tailgate.
I also used polyurethane foam to seal in the box corners stake pocket holes from dust and snow coming up the bottoms side, this is where most of the dust and snow come from. The box stays totally dry and nearly dust free with on a very small amount coming in the top of gate, I did have it sealed totally tight but found the tailgate would freeze closed so now it has a gap I can slide paper through.

Top Bottom