Sled Deck Ramps

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I picked up a used steel sled deck this weekend. Needs a little clean up, but will do the job for my 2 trips to the Mtns a year.

Can I get some pics of homemade ramps? Like to see how you guys have made up your ramps. The deck is 9' with a beaver tail right now and a 8' ramp.
Being that I have a short box I would like to cut the deck down to 7' with beaver tail. Just need to know how to make a folding or 2 piece ramp.
Thanks for any help you guys can give. Pics or blueprints would be best.

And NO I cant afford to go buy a Marthon extendable ramps!!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have access to a alum mig welder? We built my ramps and cost $220 for all alum and steel needed. 2 piece 10 ft x 50" wide. Very easy to do, I will take a pic tommorow. update just found this, first load on new ramp.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a nice ramp! I am sick of my 8' metal one, so heavy and steep onto my lifted truck.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No access to alum welder just steel.
How does your ramp break down to fit under your deck? Looks nice and solid, no flexing when you rode up.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does your ramp break down to fit under your deck? Looks nice and solid, no flexing when you rode up.

Making a two piece ramp out of steel would be tough if even possible at all. I tested out a 4' extension on mine it was so ackward and heavy, would rather have a really steep angle then mess around with it. Not to mention when I did try it once because I couldn't load a 136" because the ramp is to steep, the extension made the ramp so floppy and bent it.

Is your truck stock height though? A beavertail and 8ft ramp on a stock truck is a easy angle, my truck is 8" higher then stock with this setup, it's interesting but more then doable.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I went with 2 x5 ft sections, outside rails are 2"x2" with a steel 1.5"x1.5" x 8" bolted 4" inside of bottom section then just slides into top section. Cross bars are 1x1, myself and 1 other had it all done in 3 hrs and 3/4 bottle of rum:beer:

M1000

Reaction score
I just built a sliding ramp out of steel, i went with a 3"x1"x1/8" tubing and 2"x1"x1/8" tubing and used 1"x1"x1/8" tubing for the cross members. and to make it slide i used 1"x1"x1/8" angle and welded it a quarter inch lower on the 3x1, works slick. If i was to build it again i would use .100 wall for the tubing. It is definetly heavier than aluminum but it works for me.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M1000 you happen to have any pics? What length ramp is it? What holds it in place once it is extended?
I have a buddy that is a welder but my explaination to him is propably not the best and a set of pics would be great.

Top Bottom