sled deck power

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just put a new deck onto my truck that i bought used, but i'm not sure where to get my power from so my lights work. can somebody help me out?

it is a 2005 GMC 2500HD, and it is a STF deck.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 07 Dodge 3500, and there is a 4-prong flat plug-in under the bumper. I used a four prong and spliced down into a two prong power / ground for the clearance lights. Its a quick, easy connection when putting in and taking out the deck.

tekim :D

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 07 Dodge 3500, and there is a 4-prong flat plug-in under the bumper. I used a four prong and spliced down into a two prong power / ground for the clearance lights. Its a quick, easy connection when putting in and taking out the deck.

tekim :D

Thats some really good advice..

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i took a look under the bumper and i see a bunch of power, but nothing that isn't being used. i got one going to my 8pin plug-in, one to each tail light, and one to each side of my lic. plate to light that up. is there a way to tap into the power going to my tail lights?

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this depends on the truck,

most newer truck you can do it two ways.

1. for power only, there should be a postive post near you power box under the hood (this is the one that is used to provide power/recharge batteries on trailers such as rv or construction) then you can ground to the frame.

2. there may be a bunch of wires tucked up where the cab and box are, they are a extra set of wires similar to what runs to the bumper for trailer towing, this extra set is designed for 5th wheel set ups where a 7pin hook up is wired directly into the box.

in if all else fails, phone the place that made the deck, they'll know!!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not planning on towing a trailer with your deck on you could put a plug on your deck wires and plug into your trailer plug.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not planning on towing a trailer with your deck on you could put a plug on your deck wires and plug into your trailer plug.

If you are pulling a trailer, I'm pretty sure that Canadian tire has an adapter that allows you to pul a 4 prong in along with your round trailer plug....Ask lucm here we did it with his truck last year.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
i just put a new deck onto my truck that i bought used, but i'm not sure where to get my power from so my lights work. can somebody help me out?

it is a 2005 GMC 2500HD, and it is a STF deck.

I tied into the main wire harness, complete with a 7 way plug for the deck... Your red wire is your 10 gage power wire. I used a relay so all my deck lites are not drawing power off the vehicle lights ( they are just the trigger wires). I also can pull an enclosed or any other tag with deck lights on & no issues with heating of light switch or wires.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2. there may be a bunch of wires tucked up where the cab and box are, they are a extra set of wires similar to what runs to the bumper for trailer towing, this extra set is designed for 5th wheel set ups where a 7pin hook up is wired directly into the box.
that's where mine is hooked up, I pulled the park light, ground, and 12V direct power wires out of the bundle and hooked a 3 prong extension cord female plug to them. hooked up the male plug end on my slide in camper and sled deck. truck is an '06 GMC 2500HD.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple options

If you are not pulling a trailer, 5 pin stlye
I-725.gif
[/IMG]

Needs to be hard wired in can quick connect to traler and deck
hoppy_47185.jpg
[/IMG]

Same as the first pic just different style, just a 4 pin
4398B.gif
[/IMG]

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
My Fargo has a hole in the box right behind tailights.Just spliced into tailights and put a little plug .

nytro mtx

Reaction score
i took a look under the bumper and i see a bunch of power, but nothing that isn't being used. i got one going to my 8pin plug-in, one to each tail light, and one to each side of my lic. plate to light that up. is there a way to tap into the power going to my tail lights?

I've got a Marathon Deck on the same truck. I just tied into the rear lights, simple and works great.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for everyones comments, i'm sure i can get at least one of these options to work!
right now i'm thinking i'll splice into my tail lights, the power cord on my deck is right beside them.
cheers

GRD

Reaction score
I tied into the main wire harness, complete with a 7 way plug for the deck... Your red wire is your 10 gage power wire. I used a relay so all my deck lites are not drawing power off the vehicle lights ( they are just the trigger wires). I also can pull an enclosed or any other tag with deck lights on & no issues with heating of light switch or wires.

BF.. BA did the same thing for me in my truck! Like you said, helps prevent switchs and wires from getting hot.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
thanks for everyones comments, i'm sure i can get at least one of these options to work!
right now i'm thinking i'll splice into my tail lights, the power cord on my deck is right beside them.
cheers
make sure you pick the right wire when splicing into ur tail lights.... there are 2 live at all times.... one is full time running and the other is full time running with signal. If you splice into the signal one, the clearance lights will come on full time but then the entire deck will flash when you turn the direction you are wired into..... so when you find the 2 live wires, turn on the signal light for that side and figure out which is which....... just a piece of info to save you some time. I learned the hard way!!!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
done. i got some of those quick splicers at crappy tire and hooked up to my tail lights. works perfect. thanks again guys.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
done. i got some of those quick splicers at crappy tire and hooked up to my tail lights. works perfect. thanks again guys.

...Ride On ! Glad it works for U. I am not a big fan of that setup.... Kind of a short term works well, But in long terms .... troubles..... JMO !

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my marathon deck installed on my last truck (98 chev 2500) and just moved the deck on to my new truck a 07 chev 2500 (old body style...same as your 05). The power on my old truck was taken from the drivers tail light; I did the same on the new truck.

Remove the tail light (two bolts inside your tailgate); cut into the running light wire and the ground wire. Cut and solder in new leads to your deck with a weather proof connector on the deck end. Heat shrink the soldered wires. Takes a bit of time but I never had any problems on the last truck/deck. Doesn't take up your trailer wires either. The connection is protected from the elements up behind your tail light as well.

I'm assuming the power wire on your deck is at the back of the deck...if not run it back there?

Top Bottom