Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

X-Treme3x

Reaction score
Yes it is annoying because on my recent trip to revy I would get flashed with on coming vehicles or if I caught up to one they would pull over an let me pass which was good but once I was in front they would turn their high beams on. Mind you I don’t run air bags.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Photo credit goes to CUSO
Wow
e9b12f54398174d0691c4c10eee10e5a.jpg

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is annoying because on my recent trip to revy I would get flashed with on coming vehicles or if I caught up to one they would pull over an let me pass which was good but once I was in front they would turn their high beams on. Mind you I don’t run air bags.

you ever hear about adjusting headlights? Real smart to travel in the mountains at night on winding roads and blind the **** out of on coming traffic. You can see good, poor buggers meeting you, especially in a corner or a hill, are blind as a bat and hoping like hell they dont hit you or the ditch.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you ever hear about adjusting headlights? Real smart to travel in the mountains at night on winding roads and blind the **** out of on coming traffic. You can see good, poor buggers meeting you, especially in a corner or a hill, are blind as a bat and hoping like hell they dont hit you or the ditch.

Why???? Isnt this a sled deck on a half ton thread thread, he already posted he was overweight. Everyone flashes hid and led lights anyway, adjusted or not.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the point of this thread again?
1/2 ton with sled deck= Not overweight
1/2 ton with one sled on deck= not overweight
1/2 ton with 2 sleds on deck= overweight.
Seems simple enough. Now if a guy wants to risk it. That’s on him. Any big shot on this forum want to buy me (or anyone else) a 3/4 or 1 ton. I will gladly drive it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the point of this thread again?
1/2 ton with sled deck= Not overweight
1/2 ton with one sled on deck= not overweight
1/2 ton with 2 sleds on deck= overweight.
Seems simple enough. Now if a guy wants to risk it. That’s on him. Any big shot on this forum want to buy me (or anyone else) a 3/4 or 1 ton. I will gladly drive it.
Is basically like slut shameing but for 1/2ton owners.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Gotcha. But when I see my low low monthly payment and 22 mpg. I don’t feel shamed.
Until you get into an accident from being over loaded and someone else gets hurt. But hey your smarter than the engineers right?

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until you get into an accident from being over loaded and someone else gets hurt. But hey your smarter than the engineers right?

Like I said in another post. You want to buy me another truck? I’ll drive it. In the mean time I’ll put a sled deck on 1/2 ton.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is this still a topic?

Can it be done? Yes
Should it be done? Personal choice
Will your insurance provider cover you in the event of a accident? Who knows

Should pretty much end all discussion on this topic.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe this thread should include 3/4 ton trucks too? Many 3/4 ton diesel have less payload capacity than properly equipped F150s.

Just make it a ford thread, most 3/4 ton diesels have more GVWR than fords 1 ton. Ford has way too many packages, even a gear ratio will derate the GVWR on a ford.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make it a ford thread, most 3/4 ton diesels have more GVWR than fords 1 ton. Ford has way too many packages, even a gear ratio will derate the GVWR on a ford.

GVWR for all 3/4 tons are 9,900 to 10,000lbs, unless you get into the Dodge with a 5.7 then you are at 9,000lbs.

Towing capacity changes, but that is irrelevant to payload capacity.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GVWR for all 3/4 tons are 9,900 to 10,000lbs, unless you get into the Dodge with a 5.7 then you are at 9,000lbs.

Towing capacity changes, but that is irrelevant to payload capacity.

Wrong,
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

I just went through this with ford fleet on a f550 building a service truck. The reason we went to a ram cause the payload and Gvwr remained the same with all axle ratios. Fords get derated the faster you gear the truck and I did not want 4.88 ratio to get the max GVWR.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrong,
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

I just went through this with ford fleet on a f550 building a service truck. The reason we went to a ram cause the payload and Gvwr remained the same with all axle ratios. Fords get derated the faster you gear the truck and I did not want 4.88 ratio to get the max GVWR.

Where do I begin...

A. F150's are not 3/4 ton trucks.
B. GCWR and GVWR are not the same thing. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the max weight on the trucks 2 axles, GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the max weight on the truck and trailer.
C. GCWR has no affect on in the bed payload capacity, this is solely based on GVWR. Payload capacity is GVWR minus the empty weight of the vehicle.
D. Gear ratio doesn't affect GVWR.
E. GVWR on an F150 ranges from 7600lbs to 7850lbs

Honestly your dealer should have known better as they lost a sale. If you aren't intending to pull a trailer with a service truck any gear ratio will be fine.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do I begin...

A. F150's are not 3/4 ton trucks.
B. GCWR and GVWR are not the same thing. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the max weight on the trucks 2 axles, GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the max weight on the truck and trailer.
C. GCWR has no affect on in the bed payload capacity, this is solely based on GVWR. Payload capacity is GVWR minus the empty weight of the vehicle.
D. Gear ratio doesn't affect GVWR.
E. GVWR on an F150 ranges from 7600lbs to 7850lbs

Honestly your dealer should have known better as they lost a sale. If you aren't intending to pull a trailer with a service truck any gear ratio will be fine.

Bingo...

Top Bottom