Sled deck mounting

mikey1

Reaction score
Just bought a used Marathon classic sled deck and am wondering what is the best way to mount. Use turnbuckles to factory cargo eyes or bolt through the box floor. If bolting through the floor, what to use so the bolts don"t pull through the flimsy floor.

4stAir

Reaction score
My buddy and I just bought the same used deck. The previous owner had threaded half inch Steel plates that are about 3"x 2". So we got all new hardware, stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers. Bolted through the box and it's sturdy as ****.

I wouldn't use the cargo eyes at all. If you haven't seen one break before, they can and will with that much force on them.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave my deck on year round driving all sorts of gravel, rough roads and haven't had any problems with turnbuckles. I've heard of some people adding a backing nut to the turnbuckle so it doesn't loosen.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use both, a bolt on each rear corner, one in the middle in the front all with big washers on the bottom. I use the bolts to keep the deck from sliding around in the box. I also have a turnbuckle in every corner to hold the deck down into the bed.

Driftingbig

Reaction score
Can't say that I have had any problems with turnbuckles on any deck I have had. But have heard from a few guys that if you bolt your deck throught the box that you should still use turnbuckels to help with your deck flexing and welds cracking.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do the same. Deck in or out in under 5 mins. I went as far as tack welding the plates in place works awesome.

My buddy and I just bought the same used deck. The previous owner had threaded half inch Steel plates that are about 3"x 2". So we got all new hardware, stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers. Bolted through the box and it's sturdy as ****.

I wouldn't use the cargo eyes at all. If you haven't seen one break before, they can and will with that much force on them.

rgashkei

Reaction score
I was tired of climbing under the truck to put the plates and nuts on the bottom of the bolts. So I had a buddy of mine thread some 1/2" plate with small holes in the corners. Mounted my deck and srewed the plates from below, then drilled holes through my box and used small bolts to hold the plate under the box. Now just put in the deck and bolt it down. Been two years now and no issues.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do both bolts and turn buckles. I beleive turnbuckles is a necessity. The torque on these decks is tremendous when not loading in the middle. My deck is cracked all to sh** after two years of just bolting in down.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same here turn buckles no problem, just put some tie wire so they dont back off.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
turnbuckles and bolts with plates here,,but my plates hug the box braces underneath so its pretty sturdy,,i spray some cavity wax around the holes ,no rust yet

cross-trax

Reaction score
Website
www.cross-trax.com
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Going with the turnbuckles

We have manufactured and sold in the thousands of decks and probably 95% of them use only turnbuckles to tie in to the truck with no problems with welds cracking on the deck. No matter how you attach the deck it has to be solid in the truck or you will experience cracking of the aluminum deck also the deck has to be solid as a unit when sitting on the ground, if it sways just sitting there you can bet that when you load 2 machines on it that it will move around then as well and here is where cracking issues happen. There are some decks out there right from the manufacture that sway from brand new and that is why there are cracking out and falling apart. This is why CROSS-TRAX IS NOW OFFERING A LIFETIME WARRANTY on the welding of our products, including ramps.:beer:

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're a little late on the action, but thought we would add a response. We like to put down a plywood base, you can put it just under the legs however we typically sheet the whole bed (not really any need to, but its nice to throw all your gear in on the plywood, and if you have oil spills etc... the wood absorbs it) We then use a piece of wood at the lower portion of the front of the box, depending on your feet configuration, across the entire front. We use this piece as a spacer to keep the stops or legs from contacting the box and wearing your box line or spray in box line. We then use turnbuckles at each corner and tie wiring them so they don't back off.

We actually just snug the turnbuckles up by hand so that once the deck settles in there is just a hair of movement (hence the reason why we put the wood in front the deck legs/stops) this allows the deck to flex a little bit, and is easier on the decks that have welded on legs, and also easier on the tie points.

That's just our experience, hope it helps someone!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're a little late on the action, but thought we would add a response. We like to put down a plywood base, you can put it just under the legs however we typically sheet the whole bed (not really any need to, but its nice to throw all your gear in on the plywood, and if you have oil spills etc... the wood absorbs it) We then use a piece of wood at the lower portion of the front of the box, depending on your feet configuration, across the entire front. We use this piece as a spacer to keep the stops or legs from contacting the box and wearing your box line or spray in box line. We then use turnbuckles at each corner and tie wiring them so they don't back off.

We actually just snug the turnbuckles up by hand so that once the deck settles in there is just a hair of movement (hence the reason why we put the wood in front the deck legs/stops) this allows the deck to flex a little bit, and is easier on the decks that have welded on legs, and also easier on the tie points.

That's just our experience, hope it helps someone!
I have a 3/4" sheet on the bed of my box as well, works nice as a sticking point for the deck legs rather than metal on metal which will cause more movement of the deck..

sheebansavage

Reaction score
My Maraton is bolted with plates that came with the deck when I bought it new and turn buckles. The bolts I have retightened. I have to check again soon. Also my turn buckles I have to tighten occassionally. When I run 2 quads up there the turnbuckles get loose from the weight--Thats why I bolted mine as well.

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
i use 4 turnbuckles, two of mine have locking nuts on them(just due to a different brand) i have all four legs sitting on 6"x10" of 3/4" plywood, this is a nessesity or you will pound out your box and will most likely have a deck slide around a bit

Top Bottom