Sled deck mileage?

Catman13

Reaction score
I was considering getting a sled deck for mountain trips. What kind of mileage drop can I expect? Aluminum with two 162 sleds and accompanying gas and gear.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 2012 Ford super duty diesel I go from about 13L empty with just deck to 14.5L per 100km with two mountain sleds.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run about the same mileage with a deck as with a trailer
I think wind drag effect the mileage more than the towing weight
So 2 sleds on a deck are about as much a wind drag as a trailer
2006 Duramax running between 17-19 just truck - 22 to 24 ltrs/100 deck/trailer
but I would use a trailer 10 times more than a deck
Big cost though deck 2500 to 5000 --- Trailer 6000 to 20000
I just like everything locked up - cleaner, safer, all in one big spot, fast loading & unloading,
Trailer works great but you need a parking lot to park at -- decks an park anywhere even up a logging road
We always split the diesel 4 ways so it is cheap

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of these threads, we all spend way too much money on sleds and gear, hotel rooms, booze all to do what we love, ride the steep and deep! So what I don't understand is the guys that complain about flue mileage, if you have a truck and you load her down your going to pay for fuel, fact of life. If you really care about your money then your in the wrong sport.

[Freerider]-

Reaction score
Pushing about 14L/100km with a deck loaded with 2 sleds and a trailer with 2 sleds. As long as its not a 3/4 ton gasguzzler it shouldn't be too bad.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I get a kick out of these threads, we all spend way too much money on sleds and gear, hotel rooms, booze all to do what we love, ride the steep and deep! So what I don't understand is the guys that complain about flue mileage, if you have a truck and you load her down your going to pay for fuel, fact of life. If you really care about your money then your in the wrong sport.

It's MUCH worse when they complain about a trail pass going from $20 to $25. COME ON!!! They drink $25 in beer before they leave the parking lot.

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's MUCH worse when they complain about a trail pass going from $20 to $25. COME ON!!! They drink $25 in beer before they leave the parking lot.
Ha ha ha don't even get me going to trail passes

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pushing about 14L/100km with a deck loaded with 2 sleds and a trailer with 2 sleds. As long as its not a 3/4 ton gasguzzler it shouldn't be too bad.

With the difference in fuel costs between diesel and gas it's almost better to take the gaser! Rather than look at MPG or l/100 km look at cost per distance. My last trip works out to 18 cents per km. if you used 56 litres to go 400 km and paid an average of $1.19 for diesel that's 17 cents per km. not much difference. You saved a whopping $4 over a 400 km trip but the truck cost $10000 more. Not saying this always applies to everyone as people have different needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the difference in fuel costs between diesel and gas it's almost better to take the gaser! Rather than look at MPG or l/100 km look at cost per distance. My last trip works out to 18 cents per km. if you used 56 litres to go 400 km and paid an average of $1.19 for diesel that's 17 cents per km. not much difference. You saved a whopping $4 over a 400 km trip but the truck cost $10000 more. Not saying this always applies to everyone as people have different needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so true right now, especially with fuel prices, but ultimately I find its HOW people drive more than WHAT they drive. Drive it like you stole it in a diesel (and so many guys do) and you'll get worse mileage than a reasonable driver in a 1/2 ton.

Top Bottom