Sled Deck Lighting Requirements

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day all... Does anyone know off hand what the requirements are for lighting a double sled sled deck? A buddy found the link below for trailer lighting requirements but I am curious to know if they are the same requirements for a deck. Thanks in advance!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe amber up front and red in the rear on both sides and red in middle on the rear if extented to 8', at least that's what my deck came with. The red lights in the middle on the rear is three lights, so not sure if you only need on light in the middle or three, wow am I confused are you?:confused:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I believe amber up front and red in the rear on both sides and red in middle on the rear if extented to 8', at least that's what my deck came with. The red lights in the middle on the rear is three lights, so not sure if you only need on light in the middle or three, wow am I confused are you?:confused:

Yes that is correct. Three in the middle on the rear to depict over width (up to 8'6").

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never found any official AB info for lighting but I had found a link to BC info and if I can find the link again I will post it.

But from the info I found, should your rear Cab brake light be blocked for any reason you need to have another brake light (like under the deck) As well should the deck or load extend out past the original lights you are supposed to have side/rear marker lights. Oh the other was if it was over 80" wide, which a sled with the slides out would be in most cases I believe, you need to have rear markers.

That that is all really up to interpetation because what is the load? Is it the sled? or is the deck also considered a load? And what is really a rear marker? Is the side acceptable?

To be sure I fab'd up to mounts for rear facing led's on both rear corners this year when I replaced my brake light and 4 side markers to be on the safe side.

This was the official info I found about 2 years ago. I will try and find a simular link. I have never stopped to ask a DOT officer for the just incase reasons that I didn't want a ticket for not having the right equipment.

Trailers require a minimum of 9 lights and 6 reflectors. This I know is for sure. Go up in trailer size, the requirements go up.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Them are just little guys! Not too bad of a price though.

Yup, just tiny but meet DOT standards, and they are super bright. Almost need to find a way that they dont shine forward so much cause my side mirrors are blinding me.
Kind of a lousy picture but these are the lights that my deck came with, so anything was a step up, Pic was actually during a polishing session hence the:beer:

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 341

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would check with a deck and/or trailer manufacturer also. amber lights are for front and side markers,red are for rear and behind the furthermost rear axle on a vehicle/trailer. as for quantity i think the minimum is one per corner and three in the center marking its 8'6 or bigger not 100 pecent but if you look at most trailers/decks that is the setup (and also the cheapest!) i prefer more lights myself, more lights=more visibility(from the blind drivers!) if you check out lesco distributors they have a ton of lights and styles to choose from. online and in west edm. 780 452 8180 they have the tiny leds as well

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If on a dually I don't think any extra clearance lights are needed as the stock markers on the fenders are sufficent.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If on a dually I don't think any extra clearance lights are needed as the stock markers on the fenders are sufficent.

Not sure if I agree, will have to look that up. Dually's are 95.9'' wide so the can be under 8', whereas most decks are 8'6'' so are considered ''over-dimensional''

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

8'6" is not overdimentional . Every semi trailer on the road is 8'6". It is there after that would be. Yellow/amber lights are mounted at the front and front outside corner, red is mounted at the rear and outside corner. The mark the widest parts of the deck/ trailer. The side lights should be visible in your mirror. And for those guys with sled decks and the track hangs over "should" have a flag on them.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's a good one to bookmark! Go back a couple of pages on this site and there is the link for trailers and their requirements as well.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And for those guys with sled decks and the track hangs over "should" have a flag on them.
only if the rearmost part of the sled is over 1.2 meters from your tail lights, then a 30cm x 30cm orange flag is required for day, and a red light at night.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a peice of alumium and pop 7 holes in it and put a full set of lights in it. Hang it from the sleds and plug the wire into the trailer light socket. The overhang with a 162 sled on a short box is too much to use the truck tail lights. Easy to do and should satisfy the Boyz in Blue.:)

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
amber on the front of deck,red at the rear,center of deck needs red lights facing the back.if sleds hang off deck to far need lights on back of sled,even during day time suppose to have reflectors on sled if hangs off deck to far.cops measure from truck tail lights no from deck

Top Bottom