Sled deck length

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get everyones opinion. I have been searching all over multiple sites trying to figure out if a 7ft sled deck is long enough for a Summit 163. I'm contemplating a Truck Boss if I can find a good used one. Do you think I need the extension. All the threads I have come across discuss what deck people think is best, not if a 7ft is long enough for a longer sled.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah a 7' is long enough. I prefer at least 8' but not many guys buy trucks with real boxes any more.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both my 162 M's hang off an 8ft deck a long ways. I wouldn't want it to be a foot shorter personally!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7' would be best with an extension as mentioned. The sled is just under 11.5' in length. Ski tip to back of track still leaves a lot of unsupported weight with a 7' deck.

But hey I have seen guys with 6' decks and 162/163's. Not saying it can't be done. But should it?

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. You confirmed what I was thinking. Just bought a SB Super Duty and didn't want an 8ft deck. Figured I would loose teeth at some point. Looks like a 7ft deck with extension.

Greatly appreciated.

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a short box super duty and i have and all my buddies have 153 sleds, there is not alot nof sled on the deck but enough to keep it from moving, i will probaally buy a extension for mine but it is not a necessity.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
agreed. you need 8 feet and even then it hangs off. so a 7ft you would want an extension.

I have an 8' custom deck on a long box frame with a 163" and it is "just" enough. You have to remember when travelling to BC the "little powerful inspectors" love Albertan's that are infringing on the regulations.

No more than 4' of overhang from the back of the deck (more or less and that is measured to the end of the tail flap...)

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since 05 I have had a 162 RT and now 163 XP on the 7 foot deck and never had a problem and was checked in Revy by DOT and no problems.

PBNFLD

Reaction score
I have a 8' Marathon deck that I use in a 6.5' box. I dont find it bad at all for the little bit that hangs off the back. Would definatly reccomend an 8' deck. Extension is a must with a 7'.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I have an 8' custom deck on a long box frame with a 163" and it is "just" enough. You have to remember when travelling to BC the "little powerful inspectors" love Albertan's that are infringing on the regulations.

No more than 4' of overhang from the back of the deck (more or less and that is measured to the end of the tail flap...)

Since 05 I have had a 162 RT and now 163 XP on the 7 foot deck and never had a problem and was checked in Revy by DOT and no problems.

Overhang is OK but must have marker lights on the sleds then. Not the most stable configuration imo.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 7 foot deck and my wife has a 162 M7. No problems whatsoever except you have to be on it when you load. It might be sticking out to far and not meet some DOT regulation but I am not really a "rules" type of person. If I was to do it again I would still go with the 7 footer.

The Kitty Cat and the Snow Scoot fit no problem as well! :d

Attachments

• 2011-10-04 14.28.18.jpg
    2011-10-04 14.28.18.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 260
  • PW3.jpg
    PW3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com

Who built your deck?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the rule on sleds sticking out the back end of a flat deck trailer?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the rule on sleds sticking out the back end of a flat deck trailer?

I'm assuming it would be the same. 4' past the end of trailer or lights. If longer would have to mount a light like a logger or pipe hauler

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a sled deck sitting at the olds auction mart ..its a stf 7ft deck ... the sale is tomorrow if anyone is looking for one you may get a deal looks to be in good shape welds and everything look good...its not mine just looked at it the other day

Top Bottom