Sled deck, learn me

24V E30

Reaction score
Looking at getting rid of my open two place trailer for a deck, I have some questions.

Budget is 3k and I'm fine with used as long it's in good condition. Would be nice if it came with front superclamps and glides but that may be pushing it for my budget??

Deck would be going on a dodge 2500 long box 5.7hemi, is fuel mileage going to make me go broke? What kinda mileage are guys with gasers getting?

Been doing a bit of reading and find most people have issues with wiring, what exactly is breaking? Wires, connectors/plugs?

What kind of stuff should I look for when looking at a used deck?

The decks in my price range have wood deck material, how long does it usually last before warping or needing to be replaced?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed about Chinese crap decks for this, but you can buy a brand new Denali 8' deck for $1695, and they're even powder coated now. Add Superclamps and you'll still be below your budget. Ya you'll have to re-wire it, but it's only a 3 beer job. Other than that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. My buddies all have them and they're easily standing up as well as my over priced Canadian made Marathon, and we use them on some pretty crappy roads in the spring. Plywoods lasting about 5 years around here with little to no maintenance. I can't comment on gas mileage.....my diesel mileage is crappy with or without it. :rolleyes:

NEW 7' Aluminum Sled Decks POWDER COATED BLACK | snowmobiles parts, trailers, accessories | Edmonton | Kijiji

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
10- 12 mpg on a gasser would be close depending on wind and extra weight..I assume if you have a long box youll want a 8 ' deck? Try looking for a cross-trax deck

24V E30

Reaction score
If those Denali decks just need to be re wired then that makes them a lot more appealing. What style of ramp do they come with? I would prefer a telescoping one, my bud has a marlon deck with one and it's so easy.

If that fuel mileage estimate is true then that's not bad at all.

Theres a couple on kijiji right now for what seems to be decent pricing.
Marathon sled/ATV deck | ATV parts, trailers, accessories | Calgary | Kijiji Mobile

This looks to be a cross trax
8' ATV / Sled Decks | ATV parts, trailers, accessories | Calgary | Kijiji Mobile

But if I can have a new Denali deck for the same kind of money is going used worth it?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Denali ramps are 2 piece. My Marathon is telescopic. Both have their disadvantages. 2 piece are a lot easier with 2 guys.....but who rides alone anyway. My telescopic needs to be pinned or it can retract while I'm loading. Ask me how I figured that out! :) If I was looking for a deck now I'd go with a Denali. I'd rather put the extra money into my sled than into the thing I carry it on.

24V E30

Reaction score
Can one person assemble the ramp or is it a total pain in the a$$?

The saved money would be nice to put towards glides and clamps.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an older fixed STF on my 8' box Dodge 1 ton, which has a two piece ramp. No problem putting the ramp together yourself. Regardless what anyone tells you, ALL ALUMINUM DECKS will eventually crack somewhere, at some point in their lifespan, regardless if it is a Marathon (had one), STF (have one), or a True Arc (had one of those, too). Superclamps are a must have on any deck, I also added a 4000# winch to every deck I've ever owned, as it makes getting a dead sled onto it a breeze, and I choose to winch my ATV's / UTV onto it rather then drive it up due to the narrow ramp. Pressure treated plywood decking will last about 5 years.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One person can do it, just easier with two. It's no worse than trying to put my telescopic ramp back up under my 8' deck on a short box truck by myself. Now THAT'S a pain in the a$$!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a X deck 6 yrs ago, been great deck. Only had to replace wiring in a couple spots due to weathering, and plastic sliders on ramp have cracked. $2600. Its arc ramp makes loading easier for quads and ability to load sidways is a bonus.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been happy with my stf deck. Two piece ramp is easy enough with one person. Do it all the time. It is only a 9 foot which is fine for the sleds but I plan to extend it for the quad. I might start winching it up anyways, but have been taking the deck off in the spring anyways. I have a winch for it but haven't installed it yet.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running one of the first gen Denali decks purchased brand new for several years. I rewired it after the first winter, then re did the decking on it after three years. Apparently the material they use now is better? No idea. It was fine for a few winters but started to show wear and tear on the decking so I opted to add Superglides. I would add superglides to any deck that doesn't have them. Way better for wear and tear plus added traction. Last spring I ended up bending my ramp up when I used it for traction during some spring riding and I picked up a Marathon ramp (pricey!) but it is a much better quality ramp than the standard knock off ramps.

I have thought about selling my deck and spending the big bucks on a CrossTrax but I cannot bring myself to spend $5000+ on a deck when I have one that owe's me nothing. Plus if you can get brand new ones for under $1800 what would I get for a used one that has had everything replaced and added a nice Martathon ramp? $1200? The ramp is worth almost $800 so might as well keep using it! So I wouldn't be concerned about getting one of the cheaper decks if I wear you.

And fuel mileage, well, you have what you have, I would expect you will burn a little more fuel with the deck vs the trailer. I always notice hauling the little clamshell is better on fuel vs using the deck.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with my marathon deck. Had it on my trucks for 7 years now and it is used year rond for sleds,quads and bikes ( bought it used ) still has original plywood decking and it is still in good shape, never had any wiring issues or cracks ( knock on wood ) telescopic marathon ramp is probably the best one easy to use by your self

tcr

Reaction score
If you decide to go for a locally built quality deck, I have a 3 year old cross trax long box deck collecting dust. The sled ramp is two piece, but still easily manageable for one person. It also has a separate skinny ramp to be used in conjunction with the main ramp for sxs loading. Paid $3300 new with the extra ramp, would sell for $2000. If you wanted to try it for a weekend, see how it affects your mileage etc, we could probably arrange something.

24V E30

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far guys. Denali 8ft decks are $1700 right now and if you that have them havnt had any major issues it makes them way more appealing. How easy do the sides expand and retract? Do they stick a bit or get totally seized? Don't really wanna be that guy rolling around with an empty deck sticking out across the whole lane taking heads off because I need a BFH to get the sides back in.

24V E30

Reaction score
If you decide to go for a locally built quality deck, I have a 3 year old cross trax long box deck collecting dust. The sled ramp is two piece, but still easily manageable for one person. It also has a separate skinny ramp to be used in conjunction with the main ramp for sxs loading. Paid $3300 new with the extra ramp, would sell for $2000. If you wanted to try it for a weekend, see how it affects your mileage etc, we could probably arrange something.

Do you have any pictures? I'm not set on any brand of deck as long as it doesn't fall apart after a year or cost me an arm and a leg.

Im not super worried about fuel mileage, I just wanted to make sure that it's not going to suck it dry from Calgary to Banff haha.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be nice if it came with front superclamps and glides but that may be pushing it for my budget??

See tcr's post about used prices, there are some reasonably priced decks out there. Superclamps and glides are nice but there are way cheaper options out there, like Calibers grip glides that cost less than 1/2 of superglides. Superclamps are nice and all, but not totally necessary IMO. I screw mine down with a 3/4" chunk of redi-rod with welded t-handles, into a nut welded into the deck with 2" powder coated tubing across the skis. Takes about 20 seconds (probably 10 seconds longer than SC's) to cinch it down. Total cost about $12. I drilled a hole in the redi-rod and can put a lock thru it under the deck, that way if the crooks want it they gotta break into a locked tailgate, then cut the lock off etc.

Deck would be going on a dodge 2500 long box 5.7hemi, is fuel mileage going to make me go broke? What kinda mileage are guys with gasers getting?
I can get about 13 on my Dodge, but mileage is all about how you drive. I have a trailer as well as my deck and its comparable on my truck to the deck. You will probably have about the same mileage about as your trailer if it has a front ramp or spray/salt guard.

Been doing a bit of reading and find most people have issues with wiring, what exactly is breaking? Wires, connectors/plugs?

Can't speak directly to that brand of deck but any spot you have exposed wires or unsealed junctions, it will corrode.

What kind of stuff should I look for when looking at a used deck?

Cracks in the frame, especially at the leg braces and where they attach to the deck. make sure its square and level. Check ramp, make sure its in good shape. The ramps and decks will last longer if you hose out the underside often, keep the road salt and corrosion off. If its got under deck lighting that is a bonus. if not, get some LEDs and wire a switch off of a constant power source. I put a couple LED strips under my deck this year (just had a spotlight under there before) and the LEDs are way better.

The decks in my price range have wood deck material, how long does it usually last before warping or needing to be replaced?

3-5 yrs generally depending on how much you use it, if you rinse the road salt off it, and if you park outside or not. Mine is coming on 4 yrs and needs to be replaced this summer, this is untreated plywood though, I just stain it every year with the colour that matches my paint. I also keep my truck in the garage so that helps a lot IMO. I think the treated stuff lasts longer but I can't get it to match my truck due to the green tint (but that's just me being picky and wanting it to match).

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed about Chinese crap decks for this, but you can buy a brand new Denali 8' deck for $1695, and they're even powder coated now. Add Superclamps and you'll still be below your budget. Ya you'll have to re-wire it, but it's only a 3 beer job. Other than that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. My buddies all have them and they're easily standing up as well as my over priced Canadian made Marathon, and we use them on some pretty crappy roads in the spring. Plywoods lasting about 5 years around here with little to no maintenance. I can't comment on gas mileage.....my diesel mileage is crappy with or without it. :rolleyes:

NEW 7' Aluminum Sled Decks POWDER COATED BLACK | snowmobiles parts, trailers, accessories | Edmonton | Kijiji

Seriously, no ones going to comment on the deck on a kr half ton? :p

GRD

Reaction score
Great deal on Cross Trax Deck. I have been using a Cross Trax deck for a few years. 2 piece ramp is manageable by yourself. Good quality deck for the price!

24V E30

Reaction score
Wow thanks Modman.

I never pulled my trialer with my truck this year as we always had big groups and used other guys trucks. The trailer is a drive on/off with salt guards and is galvinized so a bit heavier then a aluminium one, so fuel mileage will probably be close to what we were getting towing with 1/2ton which is fine. It has the screw down ski bars which are not that bad to use but superclamps are so much nicer.

Definatly interested in your deck Tcr.

Top Bottom