Sled deck help?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am looking for a deck for my dads 2004 Chevy duramax short box. We will be hauling two Polaris 155 track sleds on it in the winter (maybe longer tracks in the future) and possible two quads in the summer. The truck has a tool box that sticks above the box maybe 6 inches and is a foot and a half wide, theirs is also bars that stick above the box 3 inches. So the deck would have to sit above the top of the truck box about 6 inches. We also need to have access to he tool box for our tie down straps an tools. Not sure if the front foot and a half of the deck should be hinged for access? Or maybe have the deck on a track so it can slide back? Either way it will need some customization. I don't know a whole lot about decks so maybe someone can point me in the right direction for idea's,brands,dealers, and customization. Thank you.

Last edited:

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres the truck box.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325808378.823173.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325808378.823173.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 259

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, i wouldnt want any alterations done to my deck. Im sure you can agree that we all spend big money on our sleds. The last thing i want to happen is for my deck to break and i loose a toy. Try making a slideable tool box to fit under, and between the stands of the deck. Ive seen alot of wooden boxes that fit the full length of the box. Plus they are sturdy enough to load a quad ontop in the summer. I have a fast trax sled deck. Its very well built, has a long 2 piece ramp. Best part is, it only cost me 3000. With superclamps, and the glides on the ramp.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. But it's not my truck. He wants to keep his toolbox how it is. Not sure what to do.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to get a trailer then. Dont think you will get anything to work keeping the tool box.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We actually have a two place sled trailer, works well. But like the idea of everything being on the truck. I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to take the toolbox and rails off in the winter. Do some decks have built in toolboxes underneath? Or as an accessory? I've heard of decks having compartments underneath for your sledding gear.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rolling tray for underneath is an option for many decks from my previous research. You're going to have to pull the box to run a deck, with that box there, where would the front legs for the deck go?

Guy could sell the box, which would offset the cost of the rolling tray/box combo. An option for ya.

SNAFU

Reaction score
Rolling tray for underneath is an option for many decks from my previous research. You're going to have to pull the box to run a deck, with that box there, where would the front legs for the deck go?

Guy could sell the box, which would offset the cost of the rolling tray/box combo. An option for ya.

What have you seen for rolling trays? I need to get something, but I don't have a lot of height between the box and the bottom of my ramp. I'd still like to be able to put my gear bag under the deck, but space is tight as is, so I'd need some kind of tray that sits very close to the box.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok, ya I was thinking that if maybe the legs could down then go forward under the box. But that would have to be down after we bought the deck. Sounds like it will take alot of customization to make the deck work with the toolbox. Might jar to just take the toolbox off during the winter when we plan in having the deck on. So for deck length what would be best for 155-163 tracks? How much is allowed to hang of the back?

Reaction score
I would just take the rails and toolbox out in the winter if the deck is on how are you going to get into the tool box best one to buy is a 8 footer good for all sleds then.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most decks i have had or seen only give you enough room to put your fingers under

Not hard to put plywood or something to raise it up a tiny bit. IMO I wouldn't want a deck quite that close to the box if it flexes at all it's into the rails. My STF had like 1.5".

As far as a toolbox, i've seen some have the door open on the top of the deck to a toolbox underneath with the lid removed. But then again, no access with sleds on. The sliding box idea is good.

I modified legs on a STF deck to fit behind a 8" slip tank, but 18" would be pushing it. Plus access from the sides would be impossible.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, could always back the sleds up to access the tool box. Plus the carbide Is where all the weight is and it's a foot into the ski so if the front of the ski is touching the front of the deck their is no weight on a hinged door used to access the tool box.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe its not a big deal, but your getting an awfully HIGH Center of gravity now IF you go on top of the toolbox and rails... IMO

Reactions: GRD

GRD

Reaction score
I run a deck built by cross-trax. Check out the website and give him a call, I believe he will do custom work as well.

www.cross-trax.com

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a deck built by cross-trax. Check out the website and give him a call, I believe he will do custom work as well.

www.cross-trax.com

Custom work is no problem, but this would be a tricky build. The toolbox is wider than the frame of the deck, so to build the front of the deck to be able to flip and expose the toolbox, you have to change the entire layout of the frame, plus it would be difficult to keep the retractable sides. I personally think it would be a dog's breakfast by the time it was all said and done...not to mention costly, the entire thing would be built off the jig. Also, Cross-Trax's shop is wide open trying to fill dealer orders from last month still, so you would be looking sometime toward the end of next month before it was even looked at. It's pretty simple to pull the box and rails, and slide a conventional deck in, and run a prospector box underneath.

Top Bottom