Sled deck aluminium

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So bought a deck and it's aluminium but it's super dirty and I would like to clean a polish it to bring back the shine. What's everyone using?? Where can I get it

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use auto sol polish or mothers aluminum with a power ball both can be bought at canadian tire
last for about a year best to do it with the deck off the truck or over the side of the box and cab with old sheets

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We acid wash the our trucks to get the aluminum clean then polish with Auto Sol or jewelers rouge

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So bought a deck and it's aluminium but it's super dirty and I would like to clean a polish it to bring back the shine. What's everyone using?? Where can I get it

Chris, use the search engine for aluminum polishing. Lots of threads and lots of history. I know you want the shine but it is a chore to keep that way with the salty roads in the winter. I would suggest to get an estimate for Linex or something of that nature.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yup did 800 bucks not spending 2 times what I bought it for. Lol

I understand but do the research and don't start with Mother's. It is a good finishing step but not a good initial step. For years I polished my tunnels with a product that Boydo used (F3 I think it was called)and it produced great results but it was an ever ending job. PM polarice and he will know what the product is.

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah there's a product Gregg distribution sells called aluminium magic and they said it works well.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the finish your after but your in for some work. Making it look good in the garage is different than making it look good in the sun.

Yah might need to do a first cut with the metal, not sure its condition but wet sanding from 600 and finish with a 1500 grit than polish from there.
Autosol or some other course metal polish is a great start and finish with a smoother paste.

One thing to remember always polish with the grain of the metal, same as washing it.

iturch

Reaction score
I did a lot of old sleds in the past to get the mirror finish
1) 800-1000 grit wet sanding depending how oxidized it is
2) 2000 grit wet sanding
3) 3000 grit wet sanding pricey but worth it
4) F1 Polish medium with mothers powerball ( hard to find some big rig dealers have it )
5) f1 Polish fine
6) Mothers to finish it off

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
problem is its a non stop chore such a pain to have anything shiney and keep it shiney

Top Bottom