Sled Cosmetics. Do you care about looks?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Talking at the dealership this morning got me thinking. How many on here like to have their sled look its best? How many don't care? And how many consider it the point to have it look like it gets used and used well?

I don't mind if my decals are cracking and peeling off from trees, my tunnel is dull and dirty and there are trees in my engine compartment. The mechanic and I were laughing about how we both treat our sleds a little on the hard side. The salesman shook his head and said he could never do that to anything he owned.

I also appreciate the guys who like to keep them mint or pimp them out. I see some beautiful machines on here and it speaks for a persons character if they can keep meticulous care of their possessions.

What about you?

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to see a sled in decent condition, but most importantly.. mechanically is top for me. Anyone can BLING it up later. As long as the plastics arent cracked, Im ok with scratched.. wraps can cover that.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a fine line. I like to keep it looking good but a guy can't let that turn into a full time job. Cut open some trail last week and my sled looks like a tree right now. Next powder day will clean it up and then I can do the rest. The cover is wearing the side panel decals and that is pissing me off a bit.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
function over fashion for me. decals all get peeled off first thing, my "tree riding" skills involve leaning on almost every one I pass by. I don't care if it looks good, just want it to get me out there and back to the truck.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
Cosmetically, no... Mechanically, YES!
I Don't care how it looks, because its usually covered in tree bark and branches. But, it MUST run and work perfectly for me and I spend alot of time going over the sled constantly from top to bottom checking bolts, adjusting and tinkering.
My '08 XP was a perfect example of that. It looked rough, scratched and duct taped panels covered in bark and moss. But with a strong running SHR 860 and a little funny gas, she sure opened a lot of eyes when it was time to go! haha

Last edited:

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Performance and functionality for me. I am also a firm believer in maintenance.It don't matter how pretty it is, if it's busted on the side of the trail.I also think that maybe 1 out of every 20 wraps looks decent.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks better not be your priority with a white sled, I'm 5 rides in and there's more black yellow green and brown on this thing than I'd ever have thought possible in 6 rides, as long as the plastic isn't cracked up I don't care too much and the zip tie stitched look is pretty cool to me, I'll put a wrap on mine next year just because it makes it feel new for the second year then it's off to the gf and the 4 yr old one gets sold, I really like the custom powdercoat work and wraps but my bankroll says I can sled a lot more with the couple grand and I'm not good enough to have that pretty of a machine.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hahahaha.........the original poster is a poser. Talk about tree bark, needles, branches, and witches hair; my oh my!

Deep down inside he can't stand to look at a nice shiny sled. It is sort of like guys going straight up and down a hill with their turbos wide open instead of going sideways through the trees!

I have a little tree bark, needles, branches, and witches hair but nothing like cdnredneck_t3 and his riding bud! These dudes are crazy!

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make it look good and upgrades in the summer, maintenance and mechanical when the snow's falling

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has to run top notch, zip tie stitches and large scratches annoy me but riding wear is ok.

Its funny how the 200 miles in sask made my 14 pro rmk look like my 08 rmk. Tunnel hazes fast, anything shiny scratches up.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my sled to look good! I work hard to pay for it and am proud to have a nice looking sled! But I do ride it so it does get marks. But if I brake a panel or something I will tape it up to last me the trip, but it will replace it ASAP.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our sleds spend a lot of time bumping bark but not because we missed the mark, but because there was room for the decals and not much more... OH the first scuff hurts but the rest seem painless.

I need a sled to work absolutely perfect so mechanically speaking they are flawless...

Some scratches just so you push yourself, or that your in the trees were you should find the best ridding around. I find as I get older my sleds seem to look good longer but they all show signs of the type of riding I like to do best.

See you in the trees.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my sled to look good! I work hard to pay for it and am proud to have a nice looking sled! But I do ride it so it does get marks. But if I brake a panel or something I will tape it up to last me the trip, but it will replace it ASAP.
X2 - I ride my toboggan, but I take pride in it looking sharp, too. I replace / repair cosmetic damage on my ride frequently.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like having a sled I can be proud of. So I like a good looking sled. Treat it well and it will return the favor. Although I bought the sled to ride it, not look at it, so I'm not scared of a few scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

^^^ x3. I take pride in my equipment aswell. It looks great and runs better. If I break it I will stitch it. Until I get it fixed. 15,000$+ ... I put 100,000km on my pickup a year and it's a work truck. But I still clean it inside and out regularly and it looks damn good too.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom