Sled camp ideas...

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a friends and I have decided to build a sled camp for the winter. It will be staying in the mountains from Nov to April. What kind of camps do people use? Pros and cons of each type of build would be useful. We're fortunate to drive our vehicles right to the camp. Pictures would be great.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess my big thing would be is a good peaked roof , ect

Also then Ur stuck to one place without loading up , kind of like the glacier house. It's nice for a day or two , but a pain after that.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a friends and I have decided to build a sled camp for the winter. It will be staying in the mountains from Nov to April. What kind of camps do people use? Pros and cons of each type of build would be useful. We're fortunate to drive our vehicles right to the camp. Pictures would be great.

If your plan is to put up a cabin or shelter some where on crown land (mountians) in BC. Forget it. It requires permission from crown then if approved a permit to do so, otherwise not legal. Forestry will burn it down or destroy it otherwise, if they find out.
Even if its for a short period of time as you mentioned.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he's talking about grande praire, alberta. the twin lakes area. where they camp on alberta side and ride the bc side, all the way to mcbride. good info tho.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our camp as it is . Roughing it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382022929.241925.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382022944.177249.jpg

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet. Sure does beat the bus idea. I do understand the entire idea behind the bus, but isn't it a bit crowded, and cold?
Also a pole tent is out of the question for us, as it might be a few weeks between visits and I'm afraid snow would crush it. I don't have access to a tractor trailer so a huge skid like a cabin is out too.
We've decided to go with a pre built cabin, that we can haul out on sled trailer, and assemble it there. Building it in pre insulated panels, that will bolt or screw together. We found some pre insulated roof panels that snap together. Should take a full day to put together.
12*20. Then use cots to sleep on. Just concerned about keeping unwanted people out while were away.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bus is far from cold,we have a trecker deisel stove works great,also need a big rig to haul that camp in and out I am guessing

B-Mac

Reaction score
Me and my buddy bought an older 26' 5th wheel camper to use out there. Gonna tear out the bathroom and put a wood stove it, and maybe a bunk bed where the couch is. We're even thinking of building a small porch on it too with a propane heater in it just for drying gear out at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bus is far from cold,we have a trecker deisel stove works great,also need a big rig to haul that camp in and out I am guessing

Had bus for a few years and then we decided to build this.
Hauled it out with deck truck for the first three years and then we bought a Tri axle trailer and put it on there.
It's nicer to be on the ground but this works good. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382061702.202226.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382061716.001614.jpg

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We thought about putting it on wheels too, but can't justify the cost at this point. We have a total of $750 into so far, and we pretty much have everything. Just sucks having to set up and tear down each year. Sure would be nice to pull and park...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We thought about putting it on wheels too, but can't justify the cost at this point. We have a total of $750 into so far, and we pretty much have everything. Just sucks having to set up and tear down each year. Sure would be nice to pull and park...

Yes that's what will wear you out after couple years.
Everyone is great at setting up but when spring time comes it's not quite so exciting. lol
Mud and folks like to be busy at camp pull time.
It's a commitment for sure.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not at kakwa. Tumbler ridge, it's less expensive, less rules, and less people. So its a no brainer for us.
Plus the trail in is too long at kakwa, we all run fuel burning pigs. Lol

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not at kakwa. Tumbler ridge, it's less expensive, less rules, and less people. So its a no brainer for us.
Plus the trail in is too long at kakwa, we all run fuel burning pigs. Lol

Be careful as they are stepping down on the camping thing over there also.
Your only aloud 2 weeks in one spot. Camps in Red Deer falls area have been asked to get out a couple years ago.
Good luck

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome cabin, but a little too involved to move twice a year. Lol would be awesome to have a permanent structure in the hills.

Top Bottom