Sled Bed

raap58

Reaction score
I`m a college stuent, I want to take my sled down to school, but don`t want to pull a trailer.
The question is: I have heard or seen of a wood single place "deck" that sits in your bed. Just 8 foot sheet of plywood baced with 2x4 pull it out and that is the "ramp" and than slide it into the box.
I have seen them out of wood and would preferably have that cause it will be a temporary and not used very much.
Would this be to much weight on the tailgate?
Feedback would be appreciated

I have a garage at school so i can have it stored inside.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
up there is a thread like that here some wear... they have made them high enough that the ramp siddes under the wood deck... wouldnt take to much to build

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I`m a college stuent, I want to take my sled down to school, but don`t want to pull a trailer.
The question is: I have heard or seen of a wood single place "deck" that sits in your bed. Just 8 foot sheet of plywood baced with 2x4 pull it out and that is the "ramp" and than slide it into the box.
I have seen them out of wood and would preferably have that cause it will be a temporary and not used very much.
Would this be to much weight on the tailgate?
Feedback would be appreciated

I have a garage at school so i can have it stored inside.
Almost no weight on the tailgate.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try and find my post as I built one a couple years ago. Pretty easy and straightforward

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/14/single-sled-deck-22756-2.html

Mine was simple.
2x6 on their sides, long enough to meet tailgate when closed. 1 on each side and 2 in the middle.
Measure tailgate and build the same thing but just on tailgate. Hinge this to the main deck
Use 2x4 on sides to build 2 ramps that will slide under main deck. Attach a handle of some sort
With ramps in drill hole through main deck and ramps to attach bolt to lock ramps while in use
You can use turnbuckles to hold deck to box
I would put something for traction on the inside edges of ramps and sliders or something on outside. I had to take a pretty fast run to get the sled in the box

Tailgate is down and ramps in when hauling sled
Tailgate up and ramps out when not hauling sled

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the paint on the tail gate get hammered with the gate open all the time???

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's why I designed mine to fold up closed when not hauling sled. I would say it definitely can when it's down but I have not noticed much in way of rock damage or anything

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would say no more and maybe even less than the amount of rocks hitting the tailgate after bouncing off the front of any trailer you might be towing.

Top Bottom