Skinz Nytro front end, or Zbros...what's the verdict?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hi Wilmot

I can't remember what we are running on our front shocks for PSI. On our timbersled suspension we switched over to coil over shocks. I'll get a hold of Jake at Skinz and get the PSI from him again.

Jan

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Here are the shock PSI recommendations. Remember these are only applicable to the Skinz front end kit and Timbersled rear suspension. These are also incorporating both the fox float2's and evolR's.

Ski shocks:
Main Chamber- 90-110
Evol Chamber- 150-200
Rear suspension:
Center Shock – 60-80
Rear shock main – 80-100
Rear shock evol – 150-200

That might seem like a wide range and it is, but you are going to have to find the sweet spot. I would start with making changes of 5-10 pounds at a time. That way you can tell the difference between changes, and the closer you get to what feels good, the more youll feel small changes.
So if you feel like the front end is too stiff or aggressive then you might want to be on the 90 pound side of the main chamber (remember that it mainly sets ride height). But if you lower the pressure in the main then add some in the evol chamber. It’s a progressive ramp design so if you feel like the overall shock pressure is good, but your going through the travel on the bigger hits, then add some to the evol chamber. That will keep the feel the same but add some stiffness to the bottom of the stroke.
If the front end feels to heavy, then add air to the main chamber of the ski shocks and take air away from the rear suspension. If the rear end is too stiff and the front end is too soft then the front end will feel really weighted and at the same time unpredictable and soggy. Less air pressure in the rear will help the weight transfer to the back and also make the sled easier to tip over. Less air in the front might make it “feel” easier to tip over but in reality it will cause more harm than good, making it difficult to predict the handling.
If you have too much pressure in the center shock, then the handling down the trail will be squirrelly, because its acting like a teeter totter. And remember the coupling screw should be about half the distance down the slide with a rider on the machine.

Jan

wilmot

Reaction score
Thanks Jan for the info. I was thinking center shock would be 120 to 130. Are the recommendations from Skinz? Last year i had the Yamaha light weight skid and the sweet spot for me was 145 rear and 125 center, 80 front. Thats with stock fox float 2's. I just need to get this new set up dialed in.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So any new info out there regarding results with skinz / zbros / cr ???

Hey dude,

One thing I played with last year was ski air pressures. I am running the stock fox floats in my 2010 with the full skinz front end kit. I found that the sled was a LOT more fun, rode better, and was better on trails with 60-65 lbs pressure. I was previosuly around 75-80 for what it's worth, and run the stock skid.

The ride height is a bit lower in the front when you do this but overall I liked the setup.

aderry

Reaction score
So any new info out there regarding results with skinz / zbros / cr ???

Rode a set of skinz last year made a big difference, transitions easier, steers with a lot less effort, and has an easier balance point when side hilling. Saw there was a set for sale in the classifieds. Sly dogs helped a bunch too.

droleo45

Reaction score
I am considering the cr racing 37" +3 kit for narrower stance, i assume this will make easier layover and maybe less feedback from rough sidehills... like when your cutting and cross an old track. one concern is the plastic panels - is the clutch gonna try to get out??? is this stance too narrow? got barkbuster 40 now and i could use help with my abilities but trying to figure wich way to go. It's not like a grand has no other use at my household... so kinda wana be happy with my eventual decision. or at least researched the info available.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am considering the cr racing 37" +3 kit for narrower stance, i assume this will make easier layover and maybe less feedback from rough sidehills... like when your cutting and cross an old track. one concern is the plastic panels - is the clutch gonna try to get out??? is this stance too narrow? got barkbuster 40 now and i could use help with my abilities but trying to figure wich way to go. It's not like a grand has no other use at my household... so kinda wana be happy with my eventual decision. or at least researched the info available.

I went from a Timbersled front end to Z-bros 38" x 3" forward on mine and I think it actually hurt my handling. Seems like I totally lost my ability to countersteer with the Z-bros. After a few trips into the rhubarb I was actually getting a little hesitant to try any more. Don't know what the difference would have been from stock, but I think the Timbersled was better than the Z-bros. I eventually cried uncle and went back to an M8. I just couldn't learn to ride that Nytro. Too bad too. I loved that boosted 4-stroke power, and I'm not looking forward to doing 2-stroke top ends every 2 years again. That chit's getting real old for me.

Top Bottom