Skids or not mud riding?????????????

dasboot

Reaction score
Can't decide myself and being new to heavy quading what do you all think? Riding mostly mud now, not alot of rocks, are you better to slide on skid plates and maybe have them bog you down or go mostly without Can see good points for both.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd at least make sure your frame is protected. Personally, I like the full skids including a-arm guards and they get lots of action. In fact, I have to replace the front bash plate every year or two. ...you never know what's underneath the mud.

dasboot

Reaction score
THANKS, was my original thought.............. have seen then come out completely packed and wondered if I would be better without. Have the 2/3 plastic skid that came with the renegade and rear diff protectors. Just wondering if I should go full aluminum bottom, a-arms, what?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THANKS, was my original thought.............. have seen then come out completely packed and wondered if I would be better without. Have the 2/3 plastic skid that came with the renegade and rear diff protectors. Just wondering if I should go full aluminum bottom, a-arms, what?
Can Am Gen 1 frame NEEDS SKIDS. I don't like the footwell protectors as they hold mud, but you need good skids down the length of the spar for sure. I had the full deal on my Outlander, frame, front a-arms, rear inner and outer Cv protectors, but no footwell skids....zero frame problems. On my new one I just did the full frame skid and inner rear CV protectors...the rest I just left the BRP plastic on there...so far so good.

Last edited:

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on my grizz i have both a-arm protected by stick's stoppers and a front bash plate and center skid plate , still have the stock rear skid plate

dasboot

Reaction score
Ok already have the rear inners so looks like it will be worth my while to get the can am bash (only have stock plastic), center and rear skid. Any effects on mudding at all????

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok already have the rear inners so looks like it will be worth my while to get the can am bash (only have stock plastic), center and rear skid. Any effects on mudding at all????
No.

Also, you can't compare to a Grizz or any other bike. The Can Am has a spar frame. It is strong, but if it gets a dent...weak spot. Gotta protect it.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skidds are the way to go on all bikes imho .. momentum is king skids help you keep that going. and without worrying about destroying your machine.

dasboot

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! Put the rear on yesterday............ if anyone was wondering fits great with the stock plastic with a tiny trimming. Haven't tried it yet but will definately voice up my opinion when I get out.

dasboot

Reaction score
Yep definately made a difference................enough to put it on its butt in the deep mud. Alot of fun until you have to roll off into it. The new Can Am skids are a real nice product to boot!!!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Get the skids. If u got the plastic stock ones, upgrade to aluminum. Had a stick go through my plastic ones on the grizz. Got lucky though and didn't do any damage. Just sucks when you have to spend a good half hour trying to pry you machine off of a root stuck far into the ground. And with the Can-Ams I would definitely get the piece to protect ggd rear axles. Heard of people who have backed into stuff and busted an axle. As far A-Arm protectors, I've gotten away with not running them. The plastic ones got tore off long ago, and I've never replaced them. Still got original axles and boots. My ride is pushing 6 years old now and it's been tortured all it's life

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, if you're going to replace the plastic skids with aluminum, sooner is definitely better than later.

I rode my machine with the plastic skids for 6 years (just to cheap to upgrade). This year, I bought full aluminum skids and stick guards, and every mounting point was bent or broken off. Straightening everything and installing the aluminum ones was a pain in the azz. Having aluminum ones on there from the start, these pieces likely wouldn't have been bent at all.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can Am Gen 1 frame NEEDS SKIDS. I don't like the footwell protectors as they hold mud, but you need good skids down the length of the spar for sure. I had the full deal on my Outlander, frame, front a-arms, rear inner and outer Cv protectors, but no footwell skids....zero frame problems. On my new one I just did the full frame skid and inner rear CV protectors...the rest I just left the BRP plastic on there...so far so good.
Can -am gen 1 need full skid protection including the footwell protectors I have seen the aluminum support bars under the footwell catch a stump or tree in the mud and tear the main lower frame spar were the mounts are
better to drill extra holes to allow the mud to drain out and be able to glide over trees and rocks and not worry about catching the foot well support

Top Bottom