skidoo recall

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats this I hear about skidoo doing recalls on the 2011 and 2012 etec for piston replcaement whats up

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats this I hear about skidoo doing recalls on the 2011 and 2012 etec for piston replcaement whats up

preventitve maintenace come on its normal bahahhaha but good on ski doo for doing it early instead of after they all blow.....

ya only on the 2011's part is updated for the 12's I believe

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how will you keep the cat guys away without Maxwell? hahahaha, sounds like a minor problem doo is over repairing for good measure from what the xp guys in my group explained

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Warranty Bulletin 2011-18 800R E-TEC Piston Replacement is VIN-specific, affecting overall E-TEC MODELS as listed below that are 1) used generally at an altitude of 1200m (4000 ft) & above AND 2) have reached 2000km (1200 mi):

- 2011 Summit
UMBA, UMBC, UNBA, UNBB, UNBC, UNBD, UPBA, UPBB, UPBC, UPBD, URBA, URBB, URBC, URBD, CZBA

- 2011 Renegade
BABC, BABD, BABE, UFBA, UKBA, UKBB, UKBC, UKBE, UGBA

- 2011 MX Z
MXBA, MXBB, MXBD, MZBB, MZBC, MZBD, MZBE, MZBF, UCBA

- 2010 Summit
CAAA

Communication to dealer service depts is already underway with this exact same info, just reference Warranty Bulletin 2011-18. Re the website, it won't appear on the "recall information" page of the SD website since it's not a Safety Campaign. differences <--(2011-18 is a #4 from that list.)

Warranty Bulletin 2011-19 (released yesterday) involves the remaining low altitude 2011 800 E-TEC engine equipped vehicles. I've posted the problem/solution text below as was communicated to all Ski-Doo dealers yesterday. Be certain to note the requirements for completion. Like the previous campaign (2011-18), this is a campaign that will be supported by BRP and completed by Ski-Doo dealers for first, second, sixth, tenth... etc. owners through 2015.

NOTE: 2012 models already have the latest improvements and components and are not affected by this campaign.

PROBLEM
A. Under certain riding conditions, the piston ring locating pins may not meet long term durability requirements and may fail leading to severe engine damage.
B. The inner PTO crankshaft bearing seal may be incorrectly assembled and may fail leading to seal pop-out and eventually severe engine damage.

SOLUTION
A. Replace pistons with a new design, ONLY if the vehicle meets both of the following requirements:
– Vehicle used generally at an altitude below 1200m (4,000 ft).
– Vehicle has reached 5000km (3125 mi).
NOTE: Piston replacement is not required PRIOR to stated mileage.

B. Inspect crankshaft PTO inner bearing. Replace crankshaft only if defective.
NOTE: A bearing inspection below stated mileage will not reveal a possible failure. Vehicle must have attained the stated mileage to obtain a proper diagnosis.

That said, dealers have all of the service information in Warranty Bulletins 2011-18 and 2011-19 to complete the applicable campaign for 2011 800 E-TEC engine equipped models.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's a recall, why not install new pistons every year would save them from blowing up, maybe they can cange the cranks too. I heard they will change the piston with the sled leaning on it's side. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Maxwell ruled Snow and Mud. Without his comments, the threads would be boring.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP- Blown Ring Piston

Been there and done that in 2008 and I won't do it again!

Last edited:

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was at hassler yesterday 3 pro's 4 m8 2 dragons 1 proclimb further than 4km from truck and about 20 xp's ski-doo must be doing somthing right

mliber

Reaction score
It only applies to the 2011 etecs, the 2012's have the updated pistons and rings.... have no worries...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
BRP- Blown Ring Piston

Been there and done that in 2008 and I won't do it again!

Lol... And you went and got a polaris instead? I think you definatly made the right choice in picking a sled thats not going to blow an engine.....................................................................................

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, i know, all my Doo buddies remind me every weekend. Had good luck so far though.

Top Bottom