Skidoo Helium bibs/pants - anyone wearing these?

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if so, would you recommend them?

In the market for some new bibs but I haven't head much about these.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, are these unbiased sources? Haha

I mean, they look good...but feel light enough I may have troubles with them ripping.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend had the Orange 2 piece from 2 years ago, mid level. I think the 50? The pants leaked badly from new, wasn't impressed.... could have been a bad set but it wasnt just one spot that was getting wet.
Not sure about the high end ones 80?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear Helium 50's they sent me to test a few years ago. The material stands up to sledding and lots of tree impacts. Knee pads are nice when smashing against the panels or boards. Only real complaint I have is the butt might be getting a bit leaky after 3 seasons (was riding in +4 temps and pouring rain though last weekend) and the leg openings are too big and can ride up walking in snow. I am told they have since tapered the leg openings though. I'd say go for them if you can get good pricing.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend had the Orange 2 piece from 2 years ago, mid level. I think the 50? The pants leaked badly from new, wasn't impressed.... could have been a bad set but it wasnt just one spot that was getting wet.
Not sure about the high end ones 80?

I think you mean he had the 30's, the 50's are the higher end ones.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
The Helium 50 and 30 pants and jacket are the same as far as waterproof breathable. The 50 is way stronger and beefier than the 30 is the different. I will throw my 2 cents in and compare them to my other sponsored gear of oakley high end 20,000 waterproof breathable jacket and pants, Mountain hard wear high end dry q elite, and Columbia higher end stuff.

I have always preferred and worn ski gear for sledding, it is lighter and always has been better designed. However lighter usually means it does not last as long over time and I don't really care, since I am sponsored, but also most usually get new gear every couple of years to keep up with new technologies and styles.

However since the Helium 30 and 50 were introduced I have always like the jackets. Never been a big fan of the 50, it is stronger but heavier, the 30 is so much lighter and feels like a ski jacket. Last year I wore the 2017 helium 30 jacket and it ws my go to jacket all season absolutely love it! It is the first time I think a sled company made something like a ski jacket. I would encourage anyone to try that helium 30 jacket. I also really like the pants but I still want them to make a full on lighter weight pant with no extra inside stuff and removable knee pads. The 30 pants as is are great for sledding and hold up great, 3rd season on a pair and work wicked, I have back ups but have not had to use them yet. The pant is stronger and heavier than the jacket and although this is good fro someone who wrecks pants, for me I would rather have an even lighter pair, ideally there would be two options. If you get the chance to, then try them on. One thing people forget is how sympathy or even gore tex works. Basically these jackets need to build up 70% of a gaseous state inside the jacket to move or push the moisture out of the jacket, problem is we usually open pit zips or other at around 35-40% thus not ever having the moisture build up. So most of the people using these jackets sweat inside and get wet that way. The way to combat this is to layer for conditions, you should be cold when leaving the truck. Mountain Hardwears dry q elite clothing is the first air permeable waterproof breathable, it works so amazing however it is super cold because there is no gas building up, it exits the jacket so if you wore the same thing under your jacket and pants you would get very cold. These day each brand uses different material, the best is to get to know it, be fit so you can move around with out getting super sweaty and manage how you dress to the temps. It makes the biggest difference! Hope that helps.

Top Bottom