Skidoo floating secondary

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there running the skidoo version of the floating secondary? If so, how much does it float? Would you do it again. In their documentation that I have read they don't seem to be selling the float part and belt life as much as it is just for easier tuning. I'm am curious if it floats as much as doo doctors version.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can shim it to get the amount of float you want.
One thing to keep in mind, the secondary will only move on the shaft when it is not under a load. Even a little tortional force will lock the clutch in place. I have run the floating setup on a XP and question how often this will put the clutch IN alignment and how often it puts the clutch farther OUT of alignment. I didn't have any problems with it, but I didn't see any difference in wear, temps, etc...
Running on the stand with the brake applied (lightly), no bolt or shims in the secondary so it is free to go where it wants, the clutch would stay all the way outboard through full shift, it would only "float" when I released the brake. Given the choice I would prefer a splined shaft, but I question how effective it is at maintaining correct alignment.

Clay911

Reaction score
Why do you want a keyed shaft where a key falls out when removing and is way more difficult to put on then a splined? I was glad when doo dropped keyed and went splined years ago.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you only need a floating kit when ur burning belts.. my 2011 was shredding belts every two hundred kms right from new... if your alignment is good why waste five hundred.. unless you like taking apart your sled every weekend.. anyways after shimming out 3/8 of an inch for a straight alignment and locking it in place at that setting with fifteen of the five dollar shim washers belt life is 1000km+.. was expencive but only went through one belt since the change over.. My cousin also did the kit after he twisted up his s module from airing out and landing hard on the pto side.. helps when things are gone bad... dosent improve performance when alls good..

Top Bottom