Ski doo clutch tools

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 XM and want to know what tools i need to service my clutch and where is a good place to get them other than dealer. And roughly how much to buy them. I would like to get locally to avoid USA $$ and duties.
Thanks

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
I got a nice set from c&t Powersports way back when. Came with everything you would ever need. I don't use the puller bolt thou as I prefer the water method to pop the primary off. They are out of the USA thou and were a little pricy if I remember correctly. Fast shipping thou and a good kit. Maybe someone else will chime in thou as there must be somewhere closer and cheaper now that the exchange sucks.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on what you want to do to them. If you are not changing springs or spring cup you don't really need any special tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound stupid but what is the water method is that some kind of cia tought technique.
I got a nice set from c&t Powersports way back when. Came with everything you would ever need. I don't use the puller bolt thou as I prefer the water method to pop the primary off. They are out of the USA thou and were a little pricy if I remember correctly. Fast shipping thou and a good kit. Maybe someone else will chime in thou as there must be somewhere closer and cheaper now that the exchange sucks.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Dumbell from Crappy Tire for the primary spring and I get a fat friend to stand on the secondary to change helix's ext
Cost about fawk all.......

Reactions: Dmf

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound stupid but what is the water method is that some kind of cia tought technique.
Put the sled on its side so the primary bolt is sticking up, pull primary bolt and wrap that ****er with teflon tape above about 1/2" worth of threads to prevent missing a thread and cross threading... Pour water down the hole where the bolt came from... thread bolt in until the clutch pops off. It hydraulics essentially.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW,thats a neat trick thanks for the explanation.Just goes to show your never too old to learn new tricks.
Put the sled on its side so the primary bolt is sticking up, pull primary bolt and wrap that ****er with teflon tape above about 1/2" worth of threads to prevent missing a thread and cross threading... Pour water down the hole where the bolt came from... thread bolt in until the clutch pops off. It hydraulics essentially.

Last edited:

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to am looking for clutch tools. I have seen a tool for the secondary that allows you to take the secondary apart with the drive shaft still in the sled. as for primary theres the water trick or you can get the puller bolt. and you need a compression tool witch ive built. let me know if you find a good place to get the tools from!

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
A chunk of reddi rod in a vise with some washers and a nut works good for a compression tool as well. If you are changing the spring in the secondary you will have to remove it from the sled as far as I know. It comes with Allen screws that hold the helix in that are a bitch to get to. You will also need to either drain the chain case or have something to hold the sprocket in place. Then you need something that can grip into the secondary shaft to compress the spring, unless you have a fat friend. I have seem bolts used on the secondary to be able to change springs using a gear wrench while in the sled but unless your testing springs and changing them all the time seems unnecessary and I would worry about the balance. Unless you have a floating secondary, then I think you can pull it off without removing the shaft.

Last edited:

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14mm deep socket and 6" extension works awesome if you have to remove secondary shaft - loosen chain and then use it to tap shaft out. Socket fits inside gear and holds it up leave there and you can wiggle shaft back in and push socket out

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used the water trick to remove primary before, well except we used beer, lol. It is pretty cool the first time you do it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14mm deep socket and 6" extension works awesome if you have to remove secondary shaft - loosen chain and then use it to tap shaft out. Socket fits inside gear and holds it up leave there and you can wiggle shaft back in and push socket out

In theory lol. I usually do that then when I put it back together I drop that spacer down inside.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used a dab of grease on the end of the bolt instead of water and it works quite well. You will have a little bit of cleanup but not to bad.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all my clutch tools are straightline performence, any dealer that deals with parts canada can get them for you, i used the helix removal tool to change my primary spring as well, just use an additional washer.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a digital caliper and extendable gauge to measure the bushing wear to see if they still meet specs.

c.wilson07

Reaction score
If you can't fab up your own tools to do the job any online parts place should sell a tool kit. Try royal distributing or rec supply both Canadian so no exchange rape

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the grease as well, but hated the clean up, I like the water the best. I bought the C&T kit too, pretty decent kit n my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered the C&T Powersports kit. It is a complete kit. It was $200 US. By the time I paid exchange, delivery and duties it was $340CAN.It looks like decent quality. I called a local shop and the Straightline kit( not as many tools as C&T) was $380.
I have a few friends with the same sled so we all pitched in , made it much cheaper.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Water method is the only way to go. I bought tools from C&T and had the puller bolt break off inside my clutch, it broke off flush so I couldn't get a wrench on to get it out. After a lot of swearing and then some more swearing I was able to get it out with a lot of heat and some more swearing. The puller bolt from C&T is a weak ass piece of shat imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom