Save your $!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Way too many people are brainwashed into thinking that all this expensive gear should only last a couple years, and then no support from the manufacturer.
Most of this crap is made overseas with huge profit margins (easy Snopro… I didn’t say the dealer made the profit)
Haven’t been a dealer for 13 years Brett.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My first ride in Revy back in the early 2000’s was a game changer for myself. Hanging out at Alex’s shop were a group of older guys wearing what looked like some very professional gear. Asked my son, "what gear is that”? "That is Klim gear dad”, said my son. I have never looked back and have been very happy.
I agree, today the gear is not like it used to be and is way more expensive. I am not hard on gear (never ripped nor tore anything) but I used to have a lot of ride days with a lot of years between 50-75 days. IMHO, the wear areas (butt, knees, elbows, etc.) were worn out as far as “keeping you dry” which was a phrase that they may still use today. It didn’t matter how you cleaned them, refreshed the Gore-Tex with their product, they were basically not water proof after that much use.
I got very good warranty, as pointed out by Lucky 7. Presently, I am using a pair of bibs that are the 9th warranty replacement and I don’t remember how many jackets were replaced. Never bothered with boots nor gloves for warranty claims.
A lot of people complain and in their mind “rightfully so” but the gear they were asking warranty for was abused in the mind of Klim (ripped, burnt, etc.) and that gave Klim a reason to refuse warranty. Klim was there to offer a product and make money and that they did.
I haven’t had a warranty claim since Polaris bought them and it seems like they are actually tightening up the process. If I buy more gear in these later years, it will be at sales of old stock and at Martin’s, as they know how to move stock and stay in business.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
What a nice comment from a “supposedly” good ambassador of the sport..?!

Here’s a thought… maybe the guy doesn’t ride as much as you…. Maybe he bought it off a sale rack that had been sitting for a few years…. Maybe he’s 70 and doesn’t ride as hard as some young punks… or maybe he just takes care of his stuff, and expects a “high quality” item should last?

Norona…I sure hope you never have to drive a truck that’s 10 years old… you know, an old wore out hunk of crap that’s “past its life”?
Ouch man. Why are you so but hurt over that. I immediately thought the same thing as Norona. What do expect after 10 years. If I have a 10 year old truck that sat in a garage it’s whole life and was only used for a couple times a year and something failed should I still get warranty?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep ill be running burton pants to match my DC jacket.

I agree with MPkid. This snowmobile gear is over priced junk these days..

Bought some Burton AK pants in 2012. Tore the crotch right out of them.
Sat in my closet till last year
Sent them back and they sewed, seam taped and shipped them for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch man. Why are you so but hurt over that. I immediately thought the same thing as Norona. What do expect after 10 years. If I have a 10 year old truck that sat in a garage it’s whole life and was only used for a couple times a year and something failed should I still get warranty?

Let’s just do some fact verification here.

Were the pants sold with a Lifetime Warrantee?
Are you still alive?

If so, warrantee should be honoured. Simple.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let’s just do some fact verification here.

Were the pants sold with a Lifetime Warrantee?
Are you still alive?

If so, warrantee should be honoured. Simple.
Lifetime warranty nearly always refers to the life of the product, not the owner. The catch is they never tell you what they feel the life of the product should be.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fact verification......I have a file of information on Klim and warranty claims.
The material is Gore-Tex and that is ultimately whom does the warranty. There was no time line and no problem. It they leaked with the fancy-dancy leak test, you got a new pair as long as they weren’t trashed and beat to chit. Klim basically didn’t have a problem and may have worked well with Gore-Tex. Polaris may not be as fortunate. Ed Klim was quite a business man and looked after his clients.
Maybe I was fortunate and my snowshoe was always pointed up!

IMG_8084.jpg IMG_8083.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fact verification......I have a file of information on Klim and warranty claims.
The material is Gore-Tex and that is ultimately whom does the warranty. There was no time line and no problem. It they leaked with the fancy-dancy leak test, you got a new pair as long as they weren’t trashed and beat to chit. Klim basically didn’t have a problem and may have worked well with Gore-Tex. Polaris may not be as fortunate. Ed Klim was quite a business man and looked after his clients.
Maybe I was fortunate and my snowshoe was always pointed up!

View attachment 261915 View attachment 261916

Dry and dry are two different things.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are talking about moisture from the outside leaking into the base layers and you know that. That is why they used to do the pressurized water test.
In your above post you mentioned you're on the 9th warranty bib replacement. I don't think any business can afford to send a customer 9 products for the price of 1.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In your above post you mentioned you're on the 9th warranty bib replacement. I don't think any business can afford to send a customer 9 products for the price of 1.
I bought my first klim gear in 09 . Valdez jacket and togwotte bibs . Have not had to buy new ,since with several warranty replacements . I don’t bother with warranty on gloves or boots . I have tried other gear , and while klim is far from perfect it has been the best for me .

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my first klim gear in 09 . Valdez jacket and togwotte bibs . Have not had to buy new ,since with several warranty replacements . I don’t bother with warranty on gloves or boots . I have tried other gear , and while klim is far from perfect it has been the best for me .
I agree it is good gear compared to everything else. The business man in me can't understand how they could make money sending everyone free product over and over. I know the markup on outerwear is insane when you figure out the cost to produce vs MSRP.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I tend to agree from a financial aspect but I guess my point is they still hang the “Guaranteed to keep you Dry” tag on their product and in my case have stood by their warranty. I never had anything wrong with my gear that they could deny warranty and all my pieces were a year old (no more than two).
They have treated me well and generally the gear will keep me dry for up to 50-75 days of riding.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Klim ever denied a claim when there were operating out of southern Alberta. I sent them a jacket that I tore a large hole in the sleeve to see if they could repair it. Told them it happened on the first day, and they sent me a new jacket at no cost. Also, sent back 3 or 4 pairs of free ride pants and had them replaced with no questions.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Create a good brand, sell it to a bigger brand. Ride off into the sunset.

Good for Klim. Now that polaris owns it, things are different though.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anybody try this new brand yet? The stuff is all over the socials. Seems priced right and it sounds like great customer service during the ordering process….

It is interesting to find new product. I looked over most of the pages and what struck me was the problem of “translation into English” of a foreign language. Lots of word phrasing that was suspicious.
I was also wondering about the leather additions on the bibs. Would that be slippery on the seat and would the leather on the legs be stiff and cumbersome in the cold?

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still ride with the same pair of klim pants I bought 20 years ago. I was young then so I rode much harder. Still have the valdez Jacket as well although I switched due to my body size now a days I still have it and its fine. My dad still runs the same stuff I bought him 19 years ago. Never sent anything in for warranty. I look at the new stuff today and can tell it just wont last. I bought some new under layer stuff from martin a few years back cause it was on sale. The long johns i got from klim 20 years ago will be with me longer than the 2 year old new ones I already know.

It was a dark day when Polaris bought klim. I believe in this day in age the quality would had gone down a bit anyway but no way would it had dropped this far.

I like the skidoo stuff but talk about $$$$

Either this stuff lasts me until i am done riding or i might try me a one piece suit again before i go out. After all I rocked the one piece my first few years on the ol Exciter!

Top Bottom