Ski doo 850 factory turbo open deck transporting

Fraser1412

Reaction score
Is it ok to transport a factory turbo 850 on a sled deck or open trailer? My only concern is the free spinning of the turbo while driving down the highway and it burning up because it wouldn't be getting any oil for lubrication. To my understating the intake valve should be closed for air flow towards the turbo when low RPM or shut off this not allowing any free spin of the turbo.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Caper said no worries. I'd be more worried about road sludge covering my sled without a cover on it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bahahaha 20k sled and your worried about the turbo wheel spinning... I’d be more worried about all the road ****!

just buy a god dam tarp, fawk you can ride on your deck with the tarp already. Called ROC cover AKA ride on cover.

It is a valid question and I applaud the OP for asking it. Not everyone is familiar with a turbos design.

I do agree, road grime, sand blasting and salt do way more harm to anything being hauled on a open deck.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We transport equipment all the time, never heard of a turbo heating up from that. The bearings would have oil in them, bearing wouldn’t be dry. No heat from a cool engine.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to transport a factory turbo 850 on a sled deck or open trailer? My only concern is the free spinning of the turbo while driving down the highway and it burning up because it wouldn't be getting any oil for lubrication. To my understating the intake valve should be closed for air flow towards the turbo when low RPM or shut off this not allowing any free spin of the turbo.

Edit: no you won’t cook your turbo....

Last edited:

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OLER1234, the person was just asking a question, no such thing as a bad question just a bad answer like you gave. Why couldn't you just say no it won't hurt but road salt will, so you might think of buying a tarp. That what's getting bad with this site. No one can stick to the question, they have to humiliate the person, why.

See I was nice to you even after what you said, no bashing just a small reminder.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe Neil from Boost it said " bag your turbos kids..."

A buddy had a headlight deleted pro and forgot the grocery bag around the pod filter a few times. always good for a laugh when it wouldn't run

Cant really prevent air flow on the new ones without a cover, if its even a concern?

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think first we need to figure out what atmospheric pressure is and then we will need a lesson as to why my boost gauge has such a large area at zero. Once both of these things are established by some sort of a wizard then MAYBE we could try to see if it was making “boost”

The big question is...would it be building boost?

Yes this is a snappy question related to another thread...lol

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think first we need to figure out what atmospheric pressure is and then we will need a lesson as to why my boost gauge has such a large area at zero. Once both of these things are established by some sort of a wizard then MAYBE we could try to see if it was making “boost”

not this **** again....

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It clearly states in the owner’s manual that these sleds MUST be transported without covers, and ONLY on an open deck in the wind. Performance depends on this, as the sled pressurizes air in a large accumulator using the “Ram Air” effect. As required throughout the day at high throttle settings, air is released from the accumulator to the intake manifold to provide boost and therefore extra power.

Customers using enclosed trailers or doing multi-day rides in one location may experience reduced power. Be sure to recharge your snowmobile’s accumulator before each ride with a brisk 3 hour drive with your sled loaded up on the deck. :ramsfan_small::ramsfan_small::ramsfan_small::Snowmobile1::Snowmobile1::Snowmobile1::devildancing:

Top Bottom