Ski choices

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get some new skis for my sled and need a little advice as to which one to get. I do mostly boondocking and mountain riding, very little trail except to get from one riding area to another. I am considering either C&A MTX's or Slydog Powderhounds. I'd appreciate any info/reviews you can give me. Thanks.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CA skis are terrible for mountain riding.unless you want to nosedive into every drift you see.

imo nothing wrong with the stock xp or etec skis.

skydogs are sooo wide what do you need that for? how will that help sidehilling boondocking?

flexskis are nice. save you from going over the bars in a few instances. dont really care for the 4 carbides or price. i would be hard pressed to say there deep snow performance is any better than a stock ski. trail handling...sure

Last edited:

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do like my Pilot 6.9 but wanted to try something else to see if they are any better.
I've been reading some reviews on these skis, some have said that the Slydogs are too flexible for mountain riding/boondocking, haven't heard anything negative about the C&A's until I read your post. Are you talking about the MTX or another model? I've also heard some good things about Mod Skis but cannot find anyone that sells them. Anyone use these and if so, how do you like them?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure i have the mtx version but i could be wrong. ill double check. either way the design at the front is too stiff and does not flex when transitioning up a hill..therefor sending you over the bars everytime guaranteed! other than that no complaints...they turn nice and sidehill fine.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The MTX were new for this year. Appreciate the feedback Maxwell.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CA skis are terrible for mountain riding.unless you want to nosedive into every drift you see.

imo nothing wrong with the stock xp or etec skis.

skydogs are sooo wide what do you need that for? how will that help sidehilling boondocking?

flexskis are nice. save you from going over the bars in a few instances. dont really care for the 4 carbides or price. i would be hard pressed to say there deep snow performance is any better than a stock ski. trail handling...sure

the only problem I found with my skis is that they drift to much for me in the corners on hard pack. might also be my suspension. but when I rode my buddies 2010 with different skis, it railed like it was on tracks.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya they deffinetly arent designed for good handling the factory etec skis. but like you said suspention setup (ski pressure) can greatly effect the turning ability of a stock sled. but also limits the fun factor.

the simmons have 2 carbides per ski. they do handle well

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I absolutely HATE my simmons ski's. My personal opinion but I find them hard to maneuver on anything other than powder. I even took off one carbide on each ski. Had Curtis from Tracks Canada suggest a brand but I can't remember it.

Last edited:

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have powder hounds and really like them they are no wider than stock but don't dart and are extremely flexible.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really liked the simmons on my rev but they are very aggressive in spring snow. I have sly dogs on my cat but have'nt really rode it very much. I have noticed that it pushes in corners compared to the simmons.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really liked the simmons on my rev but they are very aggressive in spring snow. I have sly dogs on my cat but have'nt really rode it very much. I have noticed that it pushes in corners compared to the simmons.

AKA: kill your arms, shoulder and neck....or maybe I'm just weak.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Simmons skis are the best I would like the gen3 but I have no $$ so stay with my gen 1

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
sly dog come in 6", 7" powderhound, and last year an 8" released...

http://www.slydogskis.com/

this guy uses slydog, although i hardly see pics of the skis touchin the snow
IMG_9815.jpg

Last edited:

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
check out mods as well

this guy uses mods, they hardly see the snow either....

Last edited:

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol............what good are skis if they never touch the ground. J/k.

I have found that my Pilot 6.9's dart like a sumbitch on trails, are any of the aformentioned skis better or is it the carbides causing the darting..............or maybe the lack of a sway bar?

bullfrog123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X1000000 on Mods!!!!!!! No darting, snow spray to the face is gone, strong, and best of all.... customer support is top notch!!!!! Ditched C&A's on 2 cats and installed Mods on both our Phazers (daughters' sleds). Changed the handling of the Phazers like you wouldn't believe!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 112

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol............what good are skis if they never touch the ground. J/k.

I have found that my Pilot 6.9's dart like a sumbitch on trails, are any of the aformentioned skis better or is it the carbides causing the darting..............or maybe the lack of a sway bar?

Seems like all of Ski Doo's skis like to dart around quite a bit. But haven't noticed any problem with them once you get to the mountain. Seem to float just fine.
I sure like the new craze of putting cleats on the top of the new skis! How handy is that when your crawling around your sled!

Top Bottom