Sinking your quad

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, I would have towed mine but I had no choice, no tow strap and we were 27 miles from the truck. Another option is to do all of the above and make sure you carry extra oil, at least your running with some clean oil and you can flush it out when you get home.

I think in a situation like that, I would have sacrificed my winch and towed it by the cable instead of sacrificing my motor. ...unless, of course, I had an old lady and blowing the motor was the only way to justify a BBK.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change your picture , i wanna see a RZR under your name......lol;)

Your right Neville. Time to profile the new rzr and get rida the t Rex profile pic. I haven't even rode it yet. So no pics yet

Rabdo

Reaction score
I actually sunk my quad today. Was trying to cross a stream, didn't know how deep it was, felt my quad start floating and i knew i was gonna sink lol instead of trying to make it and sucking in water while running, i shut it off. was able to get towed out. i only drained the exhaust, pulled the spark plugs and cleaned the air filter. had my quad running again within a half hour. alot of water came out of the spark plugs
now tomorrow will be oil change X5

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check your oil leverl before you started up your wheeler?? Shutting your engine down won't prevent water from entering the engine, hopefully you didn't do any damage to it. Don't forget to change your oil filter too.

Rabdo

Reaction score
yea the oil was clean and at the right level
any of you guys try that seafoam product for flushing your engine? it's supposed to help absorb any moisture in the system

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have your quad in deep water sinking isnt it best to try to keep it running, jump off and walk it out of the hole if you can? Alteast with it running the exhaust is pushing the water away.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would be the best way to do it but sometimes you can't avoid the engine stalling. I was in a deep glacial creek and the water was freakin cold, I had hip boots on and I couldn't touch the bottom, I tried like hell to keep it running but once the air intake goes under that's pretty much it.

The best way to avoid drowing your machine is to either wade out and see how deep it is or snorkel your intake and exhaust.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay... Bringing an old thread to the top. Need some ideas...

Swamped my little quad (2003 Suzuki LTZ 400) pretty bad. It quit in the water and I hauled it floating thru the water to the other side of the "lake". We towed it out behind the Rhino and when we got it home, drained the water from the oil, exhaust and airbox, replaced the spark plug and tore the carb apart. It still won't start- seems to have no spark. Even replaced the battery as it was a couple years old and a bit weak.

Need some other ideas... Hoping and praying it isn't permanently killed :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368678285.573900.jpg

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Had a Honda Foreman a few years back. Good overall quad but I swamped it in a icy cold water hole. It stalled of course. It took a while to get it out and drain all of the water out. We eventually got it going and everything seemed to be ok. Later on in the year, I noticed it was smoking a bit. It got worse as time went on. It was really bad going down hill when it was engine braking, there wasn't a mosquito within a mile lol. It got so bad I decided to take it in. I had to get the top end done, new piston and rings. What happened was the cold water quenched the engine so quick, it took the temper out of the rings. You could easily take a ring and squeeze it and it would not break. Expensive lesson, but it can happen.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay... Bringing an old thread to the top. Need some ideas...

Swamped my little quad (2003 Suzuki LTZ 400) pretty bad. It quit in the water and I hauled it floating thru the water to the other side of the "lake". We towed it out behind the Rhino and when we got it home, drained the water from the oil, exhaust and airbox, replaced the spark plug and tore the carb apart. It still won't start- seems to have no spark. Even replaced the battery as it was a couple years old and a bit weak.

Need some other ideas... Hoping and praying it isn't permanently killed :(

View attachment 155877

follow the wires from the plug back to the coil and then back further from there, undo them, clean them up, pack with di-electric grease, and reassemble, then try again. It's quite possible that you have got moisture in a plug somewhere and it has corroded it up.

I've been in these shoes, cost me a top end at the end of the day as well.

Top Bottom