Siezed 03 Polaris RMK 600

Volksnutt

Reaction score
I have a couple questions about my siezed engine.
Can you buy a new engine at any local shop, or do you have to buy the parts and fix it. Pots and pistons, etc....?

Whats the cost of a rebuild?
What else can make an engine blow? Cooling etc....
It there any big bore kits for a 600?

So here is what happened. I was driving on some hard packed trails with the scratchers down and my sled just blurped and died. I Opened the hood and the engine was very hot. Coolant and oil levels where normal and there was lots of snow in the tunnel. I let it cool down first and tried to pull it over. The pull cord doesn't pull out or turn it over. The sled has 3800km on it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably your bearings on your crank siezed to your cranshaft, pretty common on this sled

bigbadbear

Reaction score
im currently rebuilding a 600, and i have noticed that the oil pump, and the water pump, and both driven off of the same gear drive from the crank. so if one fails, it takes the other with it. usually, a oil light, or "temp" light would come on the dash. if it didnt than maybe you have to search that problem also, so it wont happen again. it sounds like it siezed pretty fast, which makes it sound like an oil problem. depending on how hard you ride trails and whatnot, it would also not be jetted properly. if it was leaned out to much, or a different altitude was introduced, than it could also sieze that way. Either way the only way to find out the actual problem is pullin it all apart. it is defenetly cheaper to rebuild yourself, than to buy new.

bigbadbear

Reaction score
Probably your bearings on your crank siezed to your cranshaft, pretty common on this sled

i agree, those motors are notorious for bad bearing, usually on the clutch side, from what i have been told. mine went on the mag side, so who knows. either way, i have heard "they" make an aftermarket bearing set, make to fix this bearing problem

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Agreed...Bearings are the likely culprit.
My 01 800 has aftermarket bearing and there has never been a problem with them (since installed).
i agree, those motors are notorious for bad bearing, usually on the clutch side, from what i have been told. mine went on the mag side, so who knows. either way, i have heard "they" make an aftermarket bearing set, make to fix this bearing problem

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just bought 05 600! (switch back with a 151) is this engine going to have the bearing problem ? sorry to highjack! would setting the oil pump to give more oil help this? or did they get this bearing problem fixed for the 05's?

Volksnutt

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. It seized 4 km into the ride. I was in Golden and like i said before the snow was hard packed inless you road on the side of the trail.

krayfish2008

Reaction score
my 04 rmk 600 did the same thing.Turns out that the crank bearing siezed up on it and siezed the motor. There is a bad boy bearing kit that you can put in but you will most likely need to rebuild the whole thing. There is a guy in Quebec called Adrian Bernard that does the rebuilds on these motors and he told me that I would be looking around 1600 with shipping for a 600 already done. He also told me that if I sent mine down to him he could most likely do it for less as he would already have the motor there insted of a spare motor. I also know of a place in the states that does a big bore kit for that motor. It takes it up to a 660 or you can go to a 685. I pesonally have never rode one that was done but a guy told me that he always buys the 600s and does the big bore kit on them. There is about 20 of them in this group and they all do it. He said that it pulls away from the 8s with a vengeance. From his write up I would say that it is a killer kit. It is from a place called carls cycle. call them and see what they have to say.

Stocky

Reaction score
I have an '03 800 that blew the crank in Revy last week. Turns out it scored the cylinder as well necessitating a rebuild. Quote in Revy was $2200, quote in Calgary is $1500. Getting it done tomorrow. :mad:

Volksnutt

Reaction score
My rebuild is going to be around 1600 or so. My piston siezed in the cylinder. They say it was a cold start but my sled ran for 20 mins before I hit the trail.

powderpusher

Reaction score
piston seized in the cylinder sounds more like carb or injector problems,i have a 99 rmk 600 with well over 7700 miles on it ,disconected oil pump at 5800 miles still runs good ,did compression test on it today still runs 126 psi per side ,id say pretty good for original engine no rebuild yet,but i learned from a old fellow years ago to put tranny oil in cylinders at end of season for storage and have always run about 200 mils of tranny fluid in my gas since day one its supposed to stop any heat glazing and carbon build up in cylinders and on pistons

Volksnutt

Reaction score
Thats right powderpusher.

I bought this sled used. The jets put in where from the orginal owner
wich was the guy I bought it off of. The dealer put 310 jets in which are for 6000 to 8000 feet. I was ridding the same place the original owner always road,he never had problems. But when Iwas out in Golden that is where i had the problems. So when i rebuildt it I put 340 jets in which cover off 5000 to 6000 Feet. Its running alot better now.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
piston seized in the cylinder sounds more like carb or injector problems,i have a 99 rmk 600 with well over 7700 miles on it ,disconected oil pump at 5800 miles still runs good ,did compression test on it today still runs 126 psi per side ,id say pretty good for original engine no rebuild yet,but i learned from a old fellow years ago to put tranny oil in cylinders at end of season for storage and have always run about 200 mils of tranny fluid in my gas since day one its supposed to stop any heat glazing and carbon build up in cylinders and on pistons

The old big block 600 engine is very reliable. My wife and I are currently a little over 11000 miles on our 99 RMK600s. I replaced the top end at 7500 miles as a precaution on both but pistons looked excellent at that point anyway. I just use the oil pump to supply oil.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats right powderpusher.

I bought this sled used. The jets put in where from the orginal owner
wich was the guy I bought it off of. The dealer put 310 jets in which are for 6000 to 8000 feet. I was ridding the same place the original owner always road,he never had problems. But when Iwas out in Golden that is where i had the problems. So when i rebuildt it I put 340 jets in which cover off 5000 to 6000 Feet. Its running alot better now.

Sure sounds like you had a lean seizure. I think elevations at most staging areas is less than 6000 feet.

Top Bottom