Sidewinder Effect - where does four stroke go from here?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree with oem boards they could use some modification for the super deep days, I've had straight pipe from day 1 as well it's defiantly on the loud side but weight loss and muff pot off set the noise. I am looking forward to my 250hp mcxpress tune showing up if anyone on here has some ideas for baseline clutching for that hp range let me know springs and weight combinations as it's so early those guys don't have that dialled yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also head of flat spots on roller secondary but it's all on the flat lander machines any other mountain guys see this yet?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a pro so the first thing I look for is more power. If you look at it from a money standpoint. Putting a aftermarket turbo on a 2 stroke is at least 4k, minimum. So that on a $16-$17k machine and your killing a $20k bill as well as warranty. This sidewinder has me intruiged. Durability with a factory turbo. I'm 6'6 and 285 lbs so not a small guy by any means. I've seen pricing from $18-$19k. That's actually not bad at all for that much warrantied hp. Love the thread. Just my 2 cents. Guys that like hp will spend a lot more than $20k. I don't think you will see the cost being the deal breaker on these. Getting them out there on the mountain for people to test an try is a lesson poo, doo an cat could all improve on.
Cheers

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a pro so the first thing I look for is more power. If you look at it from a money standpoint. Putting a aftermarket turbo on a 2 stroke is at least 4k, minimum. So that on a $16-$17k machine and your killing a $20k bill as well as warranty. This sidewinder has me intruiged. Durability with a factory turbo. I'm 6'6 and 285 lbs so not a small guy by any means. I've seen pricing from $18-$19k. That's actually not bad at all for that much warrantied hp. Love the thread. Just my 2 cents. Guys that like hp will spend a lot more than $20k. I don't think you will see the cost being the deal breaker on these. Getting them out there on the mountain for people to test an try is a lesson poo, doo an cat could all improve on.
Cheers
True story.

Plus a turbo 2 stroke is essentially a time bomb.

A really, really fun time bomb.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers

I'm surprised that Poo hold's together with a guy your size. You definitely will love a 4stroke, i don't doubt it.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers

Ya not hard to hit $21k on 2s bumping up power etc., my 14 proclimb has almost $22k into it and no turbo lol i really think this sidewinder and king cat are great offerings from both manufacturers and I would really like some seat time on one, I had a 13 1100 turbo and liked it but the lag and throttle control eventually beat a guy up to much on long days in marginal snow, this new sled seens like its the ticket

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree with oem boards they could use some modification for the super deep days, I've had straight pipe from day 1 as well it's defiantly on the loud side but weight loss and muff pot off set the noise. I am looking forward to my 250hp mcxpress tune showing up if anyone on here has some ideas for baseline clutching for that hp range let me know springs and weight combinations as it's so early those guys don't have that dialled yet.

Your boostup kit from MCX should show up with a clutching base line setup. Most all do.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't personally know any guys on 4 strokes right now, but when they say you can get the ECU reflashed, is this how there changing the factory boost? The salesman I was talking to told me there are several different re-flashes. My other question is in the 2 stroke market you are given the hp with the sale but most 2 strokes that get dynoed are actually less. I was told by 2 different guys that the sidewinder and king cat both dyno out at higher hp. Is this a 4 stroke selling feature. To me if the sled is 200 hp that's what it should be marketed at. Not 180. Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't personally know any guys on 4 strokes right now, but when they say you can get the ECU reflashed, is this how there changing the factory boost? The salesman I was talking to told me there are several different re-flashes. My other question is in the 2 stroke market you are given the hp with the sale but most 2 strokes that get dynoed are actually less. I was told by 2 different guys that the sidewinder and king cat both dyno out at higher hp. Is this a 4 stroke selling feature. To me if the sled is 200 hp that's what it should be marketed at. Not 180. Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

The Sidewinder was consistently dyno'd by MCX at 210HP - Arctic Cat claims 211HP

180HP was the MPI kit on the viper and not sure why they marketing below what it's actually producing for HP perhaps safety and or insurance reasons

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Sidewinder Effect... Well it's a good effect IMO.

The sidewinder flat out works and is dam near nimble as a 2 stroke! I've built many turbo sleds and this is a game changer.
Yes the KC has the DR Chain case with 8 tooth. (Which many US fellas are saying it works very well just like the 17 M8 DR)

They climb
They boondock
They tree ride"
They trail ride

Are they heavier yes.... Does it matter? Not to all... Can you shed 40-60 lbs reasonable YES.. Will it cost you.. No more than a pipe/can/Ypipe clutching combo on 2 stroke!!! Yup that's a fact..

Oh and for $1000.00 you can have 250-260 HP combo from EVO, Turbo Dynamics and MCX is releasing multiple stages with STA/Plenum/IC to mitigate high temps... All the above have tested to 280 hp +|- on Pump Gas, stock turbo, stock injectors, no head shim Oh that's another thing throttle response is truly amazing. (Don't quote me on MCX pricing I've only discussed with EVO & TD).

Some don't believe me on here and tend to shoot me down... but one day the 4S motors will be within 15-20% weight of 2S for consumers.. It's fact they are built tested and it's just wait and see! Interesting what you learn when you spend many months in California!!! Just saying. (Very unique the Yamee Toyota marriage). I guess if you follow MotoGP you will understand.

E-Zmoke will be able to elaborate on MCX Powerup kits... So with many tuners in the game this will be a very reasonable sled to have 250+ HP. I spent a full day on it and will be SC an 18 with a few other collegues I believe.

I hope our our friends are listening please just have a 174 for 2018!!!

FYI - I have been a Yamaha guy for years.. But went away to turbo pro and now ski-doo so I'm excited for 2018.

Anyways very unique sled that is being underestimated IMO. However Yamaha doing the Power Tours and getting biased peeps to throw leg over for full day is fantastic. Good Job E-Zmoke, JM...

Cheers

Oh and with any of the after market exhaust you can put on muff pot on 4S just like 2S... TBH that was the selling point!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom