Sidewinder Effect - where does four stroke go from here?

Turbofly

Reaction score
well,.,,,, I have since 2012 been riding the twin cat turbo fourstroke with the speedwerx 240 kits.. 4 in five years demos,,, love the power handling and not afraid of the 4 stroke... put about 140 km on a 17 side winder mtx at newyears...here s my two bits
-
loved it, frontend is awesome , smooth and torque, loved the seat newer postion seams wider abit in a good way, headlight rocks.... riding again on 21 in McBride, feel free to ask any questions

whats on my wish list, - for me, simmons gen 1 skis, taller medium tint windshield- cause im older , front bumper just in case, gold finger lefty throttle - cause I need it... aftermarket muffler - like to hear the engine . more :)

Thats good to hear! So would you go back to riding the cat turbo after knowing now how the sidewinder performed for you?
Why would you go with the gen 1 skis?

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously there are not as many sidewinders out there as the ever popular Xm and the pro but it sure would nice to hear some rider reviews/vids etc. Cmon people lets hear some more about this machine! There has to be more guys out there that are riding em. It looks like a decent machine for those with an open mind but it's hard to know with so little owner/rider info.

I'll chime in...I just rolled over the 1000KM mark. I have been riding this sled as hard as I possibly can, and can honestly say not one issue to report. I have rode it in handlebar deep snow to marginal snow conditions. The sled pulls like a freight train in all conditions and makes some serious track speed in the deep snow. It will do 90MPH on the trail with confidence and there isn't anything that can keep up with it that I have seen yet. The suspension is much like a Cadillac and handles the whoops well. It does like to lift the skis while climbing but it is not excessive if you have good throttle control. It would benefit from a high quality coil over shock in the rear Skid and or a coupler device.

When you get it stuck it rolls out the same as any two stroke. I am not a big guy I am a featherweight and do not have any issues getting this sled unstuck by myself or rolling it over. I feel very confident on this machine in the trees and will not hesitate to put it anywhere. It will go wherever you want it to go.

I have been running a straight down pipe on it since the very first time I pulled it out of the trailer and am pulling slightly higher RPMS then stock. I am not running any extra fuel controller and have not seen any codes or had even the slightest hiccup in performance. I have only ever ran shell V power pump premium octane. I run this sled out of fuel almost every time I ride it. Once the fuel light is on it will give you just enough time to go back to the truck before running out I'm on the throttle and pushing its limits and I am very pleased to report this sled is the real deal.

The LED headlights are awesome at night and the hand warmers have been a saving grace in this cold weather we have been having they work very well and heat up quick unlike all of my 2 strokes

Best out of the box sled I have ever ridden! I'm all about modifying my machines and the only thing I would do to this machine is put a lower seat and a cold air intake on it

All I ever get is compliments on the machines looks, and sounds, many have ridden it and everyone says the same thing "wow" and then they are left speechless

a2adf070db0d46be2d085c4486d452d2.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in...I just rolled over the 1000KM mark. I have been riding this sled as hard as I possibly can, and can honestly say not one issue to report. I have rode it in handlebar deep snow to marginal snow conditions. The sled pulls like a freight train in all conditions and makes some serious track speed in the deep snow. It will do 90MPH on the trail with confidence and there isn't anything that can keep up with it that I have seen yet. The suspension is much like a Cadillac and handles the whoops well. It does like to lift the skis while climbing but it is not excessive if you have good throttle control. It would benefit from a high quality coil over shock in the rear Skid and or a coupler device.

When you get it stuck it rolls out the same as any two stroke. I am not a big guy I am a featherweight and do not have any issues getting this sled unstuck by myself or rolling it over. I feel very confident on this machine in the trees and will not hesitate to put it anywhere. It will go wherever you want it to go.

I have been running a straight down pipe on it since the very first time I pulled it out of the trailer and am pulling slightly higher RPMS then stock. I am not running any extra fuel controller and have not seen any codes or had even the slightest hiccup in performance. I have only ever ran shell V power pump premium octane. I run this sled out of fuel almost every time I ride it. Once the fuel light is on it will give you just enough time to go back to the truck before running out I'm on the throttle and pushing its limits and I am very pleased to report this sled is the real deal.

The LED headlights are awesome at night and the hand warmers have been a saving grace in this cold weather we have been having they work very well and heat up quick unlike all of my 2 strokes

Best out of the box sled I have ever ridden! I'm all about modifying my machines and the only thing I would do to this machine is put a lower seat and a cold air intake on it

All I ever get is compliments on the machines looks, and sounds, many have ridden it and everyone says the same thing "wow" and then they are left speechless

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/a2adf070db0d46be2d085c4486d452d2.jpg

Whats your opinion on the running boards and ski's?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats your opinion on the running boards and ski's?

Do they have the same skis as a cat or does Yamaha make a different ski?

What's everyone's size and weight that are driving these sleds? More I read more I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think unfortunately I will go back to my twin cat turbo, this is definitely the next step up, nor will I be looking for a big power add ons, with the new front end its easy to control and seems as light, as far as the simmons gen 1 skis, I prefer the dual keel style with the concave center which pulls you up on the snow but also graps the trail hard or pulls you in the direction you want for powder. How ever I do also have a king cat 9000 as a demo and cant wait to compare the two .

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you find that the boards clear snow well enough and while riding do you feel any flexing or are they solid as honestly part of the chassi?
I wear 13 size boots and slightly over 6ft, the boards for me are an important part of the sled or they will bend.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/a2adf070db0d46be2d085c4486d452d2.jpg
I heard the cold air intake requires a reflash cause it leans out so much but provides the potential for large power gains?

Is this gonna be a Yamaha option or an after market deal?

Saskgrizz

Reaction score
Cold air intake will give you serious overboost problems, and a free flowing muffler should have a reflash as it results in a wot lean issue. Lots of aftermarket development going on for this motor. Damned interesting times we live in!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Canuck5. That is good to know. Looking forward to giving one a try. Thanks to Niner I checked into a demo and may have a chance to give one a go. I have the 240 kit now on my nytro but I feel that I don't use it to the full potential and for that reason hoping that the 180-200 stock ponies will be enough.

I will have a sidewinder mtx and kinq Cat in McBride at MountainMania Jan 21-23 if you are looking to try one look me up.....

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Canuck5. That is good to know. Looking forward to giving one a try. Thanks to Niner I checked into a demo and may have a chance to give one a go. I have the 240 kit now on my nytro but I feel that I don't use it to the full potential and for that reason hoping that the 180

we will be in mbre onjan21-23 for mountain mania if any one is interested we will have a sidewinder and a kingcat. if anyone wants a closer look :)

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
size 9 boots, no prob with snow on boards so far, but not a lot of huge powder miles yet either. no flex

Do you find that the boards clear snow well enough and while riding do you feel any flexing or are they solid as honestly part of the chassi?
I wear 13 size boots and slightly over 6ft, the boards for me are an important part of the sled or they will bend.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boards are solid. They are the same as the viper boards. They clear snow pretty easily but only if you kick them out. Otherwise on deep days I've found they pack pretty bad. I'm 6'1" and about 230lbs without any gear

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boards are solid. They are the same as the viper boards. They clear snow pretty easily but only if you kick them out. Otherwise on deep days I've found they pack pretty bad. I'm 6'1" and about 230lbs without any gear

Thank you very much, that is the type of info i look for. I suspected the exact result you are telling me about them. They are solid but DO pack snow.
Doo, Yamaha/Cat used stamped boards which imo are a crap. All three should learn from Polaris who actually build the best boards from extruded machined aluminum, truly design for mountain sleds.
So CR boards are a must for upgrade.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, that is the type of info i look for. I suspected the exact result you are telling me about them. They are solid but DO pack snow.
Doo, Yamaha/Cat used stamped boards which imo are a crap. All three should learn from Polaris who actually build the best boards from extruded machined aluminum, truly design for mountain sleds.
So CR boards are a must for upgrade.

Personally I think pipe boards are better than the Polaris ones.

Top Bottom