Sidewinder Effect - where does four stroke go from here?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund you crack me up. There's nothing wrong with the sidewinder chassis. Would you prefer a chassis like the new doo that looks like Ronda Rousey after 45 seconds. When we did our ride Ezsmoke SMOKED a tree while sidehilling. No damage. I agree the seat is horrible. The running boards are terrible but can be replaced. Leave the chassis alone for now it's finally working awesome.

I should of worded it differently, i didn't mean the whole chassi but meant improvements on certain aspect of the chassi. Such as you stated and are in agreement the running boards and the seat.
What you think of the A-arms setup? I haven't rode a Sidewinder but have rode a 16 Cat 800 with these A-arms, found them great in a trail setting but wasn't sold on them for backcountry.
Plus you don't think a better suited track would compliment the power of this sled?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chassis wise I think the weight game is over, durability will be lost, but simple weight savings are still there seat etc.. More track options for this sled would be nice and I suspect we will see them for next year.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chassis wise I think the weight game is over, durability will be lost, but simple weight savings are still there seat etc.. More track options for this sled would be nice and I suspect we will see them for next year.

I completely agree on the weight thing. The last thing i want is the crap Doo and Poo guys have to deal with. Durability in my book always has trump the weight thing. What is more important is the feel of the sled, if the sled feels light when you ride it and hides its weight well, its a winner hands down.
The Cat design chassi is the toughest in the industry and from what i hear Yamaha has done well in hiding the weight of the 4stroke but the Cat chassi imo needs updating in the aspects i already mentioned.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit stuff with my Nytro that deformed the ski, no other damage, I will take a little weight and added strength any day.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring it out let's go got some stuff!! I'll take anyone of my 4S and we can line em up... I have got some serious collisions notched on the bedpost, and usually I get home...usually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turbofly

Reaction score
Hey Guys, first post here and I think this site is great. Lots of good debates here. I think there are obvious advantages to both 2s and 4s sleds and each to their own. I have an 08 turbo mod nytro and it's a heavier sled for sure. I have tried a couple different 2 strokes and I think there is a huge difference in many things between these sleds. The power on the 4s is seriously addicting and I will always want one just because of that alone. I get on a 2S and it feels like really doggy to me comparatively. However, the handling and weight of these 2 strokes is very addictive as well. I am not a big guy and don't have as much riding experience as many of you, but have managed to figure out a riding style with the heavier machine that works ok for me. So what do I get to ride...? My solution....I will have one of both! Lol there are times where I really want a good handling lighter sled too. Does anyone else do this? Seems like it takes the polar opposite decisions out of the equation.

What I would really like to know from Yamaha riders is if the viper/sidewinder is really that much better chassis which improves the handling over the nytro? I have had some tell me to keep the nytro cause the sidewinder isn't much better....

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, first post here and I think this site is great. Lots of good debates here. I think there are obvious advantages to both 2s and 4s sleds and each to their own. I have an 08 turbo mod nytro and it's a heavier sled for sure. I have tried a couple different 2 strokes and I think there is a huge difference in many things between these sleds. The power on the 4s is seriously addicting and I will always want one just because of that alone. I get on a 2S and it feels like really doggy to me comparatively. However, the handling and weight of these 2 strokes is very addictive as well. I am not a big guy and don't have as much riding experience as many of you, but have managed to figure out a riding style with the heavier machine that works ok for me. So what do I get to ride...? My solution....I will have one of both! Lol there are times where I really want a good handling lighter sled too. Does anyone else do this? Seems like it takes the polar opposite decisions out of the equation.

What I would really like to know from Yamaha riders is if the viper/sidewinder is really that much better chassis which improves the handling over the nytro? I have had some tell me to keep the nytro cause the sidewinder isn't much better....

Welcome to the site Turbofly

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think I am in a good position to respond to this one, as I have logged about 5000kms on a 190 turbo Nytro, and now have some days on the 'Winder under my belt. Just for calibration, my nytro was a 2010 with stock skid and a Skinz front end and rider forward post. The Sidewinder is head and shoulders better than the Nytro in every way I can think of. It rides waaaaaay better on rough trails, is easier to get on the side in techy sidehills, and more responsive overall. Power is similar to my 190, but delivery is smoother and seems to pull harder on top. The only mod I have made so far is putting on an 8.5" riser instead of the 6" they come with for my height, and of course a tether.

My only complaint is that it's far too quiet...gonna need a snarlier exhaust on it for my tastes. :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum
There is alot of stuff you can do to a Nytro to improve its handling and help hide its weight but does a guy really want to do that to an older chassi?
I have pretty much done every imaginable changes that can be done next to just replacing the chassi to a Powerhouse tube chassi and now i will be getting into a new sled.
Doing the proper changes will cost you a lot of coin, i'm able to do this as i get my custom parts at material cost from CR and at times for nothing.
I think over all you need to balance your current situation on what you have in your Nytro and what it will cost you to get in to a newer chassi. The newer chassi i'm sure will need up grades, i see that with the Sidewinder for my application, so i will be spending time at Cr building parts for it. But that me.

BTW, i do have a 2stroke Cat as a secondary and wife also uses it. Honestly i never ride it, once you become accustom to the 4stroke the 2stroke will sit. At least that is my experience, the 2stroke is a bore to ride and when i do i find myself wishing i had taken the 4stroke. ANY snow condition.

Last edited:

Turbofly

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My nytro has many upgrades and I purchased it used so I don't have a lot invested in it as far as this sport can go to eat up the cash. So what I'm thinking is to get a new sidewinder (or Viper?) and then pick up a good used 2 stroke. That will give me the best of both sides I think.

Where can I go to demo a Yamaha? The last dealer I went to inquire about a demo ride said they just don't let anyone take a machine out to try. I guess that included me....haha. So even if I had to rent one for a couple days is fine. Just want to try before buy. Any suggestions?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to get on the power tour. Your local dealer might be able to book it. Not sure when it will be around again. But it is a awesome day. You spend all day on the sled not just 15 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 277

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only thing with knocking a cylinder off is it will have to be a high revving motor to produce the power. And it will lack bottom end unless engagement is at a high rpm. Making it hard on belts/clutching.

To be honest what I would like to see is a V block like in a twin motorcycle/ATV. That would allow for a lot narrower body panel, lose the transmission and stick on a CVT like on a sled.

Have a V block two stroke, one large throttle body, direct injection, short vertical air intake up by the gauge, big single pipe. It would open room up to run a water to air cooler with a 12v fan in the front and a bulkhead cooler.

Having an inline motor would mean a narrower bulkhead, allowing for longer control arms, shocks and more travel, making a better ride. Probably raise the centre of gravity a bit but I'm sure there would be over 20lbs weight loss involved having a shorter lighter crank, single throttle body, short air intake.

Then since you have such a narrow bulkhead, you could tighten up the tunnel, justifying a narrower track, losing weight again, shorter shafts even more weight loss. Snowbikes are doing fine. Maybe not as well in the bottomless but it's an option.

The only thing that one would have to have is a vertical steering post, with an extra knuckle giving it a little bit of slop in comparison to the systems most sleds have now. I just kinda rambled away. That's my idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally, a Snowbike Exhaust Cooker! (And complete custom CVT bike) - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

Did you build this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol no I did not. But looking at that build that's interesting it's like a snow hawk. It's too wide. That's why I think the vtwin motor would fit that so well. Throttle body in between the cylinders by the heads. Snorkel right up the top. I think that would be a game changer.

Build it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to get on the power tour. Your local dealer might be able to book it. Not sure when it will be around again. But it is a awesome day. You spend all day on the sled not just 15 minutes.

Definitely would be interested in checking these out. Not too many yammies around my neck of the woods.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were any of these turned up to north of 250?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were any of these turned up to north of 250?

Ours were bone stock. PDI the night before. 0 kms at the start of the day. Eric's had a straight pipe that was 20+ hp and -20 ish lbs. His sounded sweet.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I spent 6000km on my nytro and now have 500km on sidewinder it's it so much easier to ride than my nytro it's unbelievable. Many a times I go to give it the nytro pull and it has come right over. I have straight pipe on mine as well the thing pulls hard but I will eventually be headed to the 250 hp range where these yammies really start to purr. I buy 4 strokes strictly because of reliability I enjoy riding more than wrenching. That said I do believe the engine in the 850 is on track to produce more reliable 2 strokes.

Top Bottom