Sidewinder 174 build and season ride report

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike.
98 RON in Europe is comparable to 93 in North America. You were good to go. I had stage2 on for a full year and ran it on Shell Premium. Now have Stage 3 and run it on same fuel. Its gonna be hard to hurt that engine.
Merry Christmas.
RS

way to crush the guy. geez lol

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike.
98 RON in Europe is comparable to 93 in North America. You were good to go. I had stage2 on for a full year and ran it on Shell Premium. Now have Stage 3 and run it on same fuel. Its gonna be hard to hurt that engine.
Merry Christmas.
RS

well that’s awesome LOL
Wish they would say that on their site.
thanks Randy

European octane hahaha

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gosh Darnit...
I'm still glad to have gone with the stage one, i don't chute climb anymore my bones hurt too much LOL.
[h=1]Octane rating conversions[/h]By PencilGeek on May 7, 2009 7:35 PM

Here's a set of conversion tables I worked up for octane ratings. The European octane rating is RON, where as the US octane rating is an average of (RON+MON)/2. The following table comes from the following web site:
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html

Actual octane rating table
EURO RONMONUS: (R+M)/2

Formula for converting EURO to US rating
I've also come up with a pretty good formula that approximates US octane rating based on EURO RON rating, and visa versa. The formula is US=RON*(21/22):

EURO RONUS (R+M)/2

Formula for converting US to EURO octane
And reversing that forumula, wet get: RON = US*(22/21)
US (R+M)/2EURO RON

Stage 2 upgrade kit
The turbo, fuel pump and injectors can handle more power.
And the engine show no sign of detonation with higer boost when using pump gas 98 octane RON.
So with just some more electronics to avoid the boost safety system, we can rise the pressure more.
At just over 200 kPa total pressure, (=15 PSI turbo pressure at sea level) the injectors are fully open at lambda 0,80.
The engine delivers 250 hp at this point.

stage2-300x145.jpg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So first day under the belt....sled ran flawlessly. I actually didn’t mind those 8LR weights, but snow conditions weren’t great. They do pull hard like Lund said.
A36C4A62-8D63-4F36-8A8A-4B47D2811AB9.jpg

Last edited:

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone selling a sidewinder? lol

I think my exact words were "that kind of fun shouldn't be legal". I was actually shaky from adrenaline when I got off, and that hasn't happened for a while.

That thing is a mans sled! It's a handful, The power is so addictive, this one's got the hurricane 270 kit on it and never missed a beat all day. I honestly think It might be a little much for what I want to do with it, 225 would probably be the ticket for me.(until I do it, then kick myself and want more) I feel if you were in the trees with this thing and got a bit off balance and punched it, or inadvertently panic revved it you'd be in a world of hurt, lol. Actually handled a lot better than I thought it would coming off my 155 axys, I wasn't about to go rip through the tight trees and risk bending something on my buddies brand new sled but the snow was decent enough to throw it around a bit, and I was pretty damn impressed. When you're not on the gas you feel the weight but just like any sled when you start making the power work for you, it handles like a sled

The thing I hate about it was the turbo lag, seemed to take forever to spool, not sure anything can be done about that other than trying to keep it spinning the whole time you're riding it. Throttle response plays a huge roll in the trees and that would take some getting used to. I think a couple inch taller riser and moving the bars forward a bit from where they were and I'd feel at home on this thing. Running boards pack with snow real bad so changing them out would be on the short list of things to do.

Wonder if the wife would be excited if I brought her home a brand new Yamaha. lol

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone selling a sidewinder? lol

I think my exact words were "that kind of fun shouldn't be legal". I was actually shaky from adrenaline when I got off, and that hasn't happened for a while.

That thing is a mans sled! It's a handful, The power is so addictive, this one's got the hurricane 270 kit on it and never missed a beat all day. I honestly think It might be a little much for what I want to do with it, 225 would probably be the ticket for me.(until I do it, then kick myself and want more) I feel if you were in the trees with this thing and got a bit off balance and punched it, or inadvertently panic revved it you'd be in a world of hurt, lol. Actually handled a lot better than I thought it would coming off my 155 axys, I wasn't about to go rip through the tight trees and risk bending something on my buddies brand new sled but the snow was decent enough to throw it around a bit, and I was pretty damn impressed. When you're not on the gas you feel the weight but just like any sled when you start making the power work for you, it handles like a sled

The thing I hate about it was the turbo lag, seemed to take forever to spool, not sure anything can be done about that other than trying to keep it spinning the whole time you're riding it. Throttle response plays a huge roll in the trees and that would take some getting used to. I think a couple inch taller riser and moving the bars forward a bit from where they were and I'd feel at home on this thing. Running boards pack with snow real bad so changing them out would be on the short list of things to do.

Wonder if the wife would be excited if I brought her home a brand new Yamaha. lol
Lag? Either you have a clutching thing going on or it’s something about the Hurricane tune. Mine has EVO’s stage 4 (King Cat),and it really has no noticeable turbo lag. I don’t recall ever hearing anyone complain about lag on the Sidewinder...

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lag is the time it takes for a turbo to spool to start building boost, not achieving full boost. But with the small turbo and the torque of the 4 stroke there should be no noticeable lag.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K, well that’s what I hate about it cause when I stabbed the throttle to get the front end to lift and come around it takes a second before it builds enough power to make it dance. And yes obviously all turbos will do the same. Not saying it’s abnormal just saying a shot of nos to make it spool faster would be sweet ;)

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then Clutching is fugged up... there is no lag!! I run the 270 Hurricane and I have no lag of what you speak of even with not perfect Clutching!!!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great discussion on the power ups fellas...If I was to run a power up definitely be MCX stg 2

Man I love this colour combo in the light of day. ...
View attachment 214459

Thats a sharp sled for sure. I've been wanting to throw a leg over a sidewinder for while now. From everything I've read/heard, Yamaha has a hit a home run with this unit. Hopefully Yamaha will do their power tour again this year and I can get an honest days ride on one and see if one of these things is in my future :)

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kids and I were out for a couple day....I jumped on my sons 600 pro rmk (has offset spindles and pro motion) to show it how to initiate a sidehill. First thought went through my head was ...man the Sidewinder is way easier to initiate a sidehill. The pro seemed clumsy compared to....
A4001167-E6A5-4F6D-91A0-851802CAD0B8.jpg

Top Bottom