Project 1968 GM truck

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there I haven't posted for a while. Summer is approaching and I have been busy working on my 68 gmc. Over the past few months I have installed a rebuilt 68 327 and rebuilt turbo 350. I thought the idea of keeping the truck original was what I wanted. I worked out some more bugs in the truck including a new carb and new driveshaft. Also spent a lot of time mounting a new alternator and power steering pump with no accessory bolt holes on the heads. Recently I had the truck on the dyno for a tune and it layed down 250 rwhp which impressed me. The dyno showed my fuel pump wasn't strong enough after 5000 rpm add another thing to the list. I spent a fair bit of time installing a new rad with a custom aluminum bracket holding twin fans. I have countless hours and a fair bit of $$$$$ tied up in this little truck. For the most part I have enjoyed the build and the knowledge that came with it. It is hard to find parts places that have any knowledge of a classic vehicle build. I have been chasing minor issues constantly and am about ready to pull the drivetrain back out. AM I CRAZY?!!! I am tossing the idea of an LS swap and 4l 80e. I do not have the knowledge for a swap of that magnitude however. Has anyone done one on here? The states have a few shops dedicated to exactly that. Would like to figure out a number $$$ wise so I can decide wether it is worth it. Driveability, reliability and horsepower would be great but my truck isn't perfect. Someone chat me up on your thoughts anyways. Should I continue with the route I chose or start over?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 327

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you wont regret the LS swap! They're an amazing engine, from the 4.8 to 8.1

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup do the ls swap. Find a 6.0L and trans and harness from a junkyard to keep cost down. Lots of places specialize in setting the factory harness up for a hot rod and then have someone tune it with efi live or hp tuners.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 68-72 blazer/jimmy for a while. 4x4 or 4x2, just love that removable top.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck. And ABSOLUTELY do the LS swap, LS's have rediculous potential and won't cost you your first born to build. You can get them with up to 638hp right from factory. A friend built a 409 stroker for under 5K last summer

Last edited:
Top Bottom