Side by Side

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new side by side for the farm. I don't know anything about them other than the dealers that make them. What are some things to look out for and what Brand or model would you suggest for the farm. We need a work horse, not a race horse.

I know there will be the old honda versus polaris debate and such, but there must be some inherent things with these rigs a guy should know before buying.:confused:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They make both gas and diesel.Johndeer and Bobcat also make work type SxS as well.If you want to also play with it the yamaha Rhino would serve you well as they are very durable

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're going to be working it, the Rhino will piss you off all day. As will the RZR, Terex, and anything else you have to climb into. The Polaris Ranger is nice because it has a bench seat that you can slide in and across, versus climbing into it. The 700 efi is more than capable, now the 800 efi is available also. They are also great for the trails such. The payload and towing capacity are huge, I think 1500#.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work my Rhino and it has never pissed me off, it fits in my enclosed, doesn't have much of a problem going down quad trails and is an all around good machine. There are others with more power and other pros/cons but nothing is wrong with a Rhino. Keep in mind whenever somebody bashes a brand chances are they've never owned one.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the rhino all year round on the acreage . No issues getting in and out. It is quite the work horse. Have a 7ft wide plow for the winter and keeps the drive way clear no problems. Great for hauling fire wood. Even pull the 16ft car hauler around with it when doing projects.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On seismic lines my buddy said the Rhinos have been really good the mules not so much. Wasnt any Teryx or cats to compare those.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have their pro's and con's. All are good machines. I would base my decision on the dealer that will take care of you when it does come time to service the unit. I chose the AC prowler 1000 for no particular reason. Could have just as easily been the Rhino. Either way the dealer is what made me chose the machine I did. As it turns out he carries both lines.

I don't know what Kind of dealers you have in Athabasca but T&T Powersports In Bonnyville might be worth your while checking out.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not bashing anything, but I have spent some time in a few different sxs's. Quite a few friends have Rhinos and RZR's, and I find them tougher to climb in and out of than my wife's Ranger. A few times while you're bombing down the trails and such isn't that noticeable, but if you were in and out all day, say while stringing fence posts, you will notice the difference. The other sxs's are defineatly a lot sportier and more fun to drive. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my $0.02

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camrose cycle offers a farm discount also if you qualify. Think it was a couple grand off but a shorter warrenty

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
They all have their pro's and con's. All are good machines. I would base my decision on the dealer that will take care of you when it does come time to service the unit. I chose the AC prowler 1000 for no particular reason. Could have just as easily been the Rhino. Either way the dealer is what made me chose the machine I did. As it turns out he carries both lines.

I don't know what Kind of dealers you have in Athabasca but T&T Powersports In Bonnyville might be worth your while checking out.

I am also seriously considering a Prowler,because of your dealer:d

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sold a prowler 1000 xtz to a customer out of camrose and he picked it up in a ford f150 it didnt think it would fit but it did.... .... so yes you can

That would be nice, there's no way to get my teryx with the 27" xtr in my ram2500 unless I go over tailgate post and drop on to wheelwells.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a total work horse go with the Kabota diesel. I have one of there little yard tractors and the thing is amazing. I was looking at there diesel side by side and if it was a mule I was looking for I would of bought one of these. Dealer ship in Lamont is excellent

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
having replaced 2 cv axles in a kubota for a lady that never 4x4'd it at all, really dont like the cheesy drivetrain parts would never recommend a kubota unless you only ride/work on hard flat ground

Top Bottom