Shuswap Avys

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at Crowfoot a couple weeks ago-only been there a few times but am liking it more every time I go. Just curious, anyone know if there has ever been an avy in this area??

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't know that area well enough to say. Only been there once. However go to the Canadian Avy Center website and they will have links on the left of every avy this year. More importantly you can pull the report for the current conditions before you ride! :beer::d:beer:

cobbycat

Reaction score
Was at Crowfoot a couple weeks ago-only been there a few times but am liking it more every time I go. Just curious, anyone know if there has ever been an avy in this area??

are there hills there? if so then your answer is yes.

spike7ss

Reaction score
There is a few hills there. Everything is in the trees. Are you going over to grizzly too?

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last tragic accident that happened @ crowfoot was a person rode snowmobile off cliff in white-out conditions begining of this season I believe......

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The place the lady died was on the groomed trail-she off the side of it and the sled landed on her.

O know avy's are possible everywhere but they are more likely to happen in certain areas on certain mountains. If I had to guess which ones were higher risk and which ones were lower risk-I would say Crowfoot was a lower risk-but Im trying to confirm that. Crowfoot is only around 6000' and once you're up there, there aren't too many steep hills which I dont mind-I like boondocking through the trees and playing in the fresh pow-not really in to highmarking.

Here are a couple pics from our last trip....ok maybe not...anyone know why I get an error saying im missing security tokens??

cobbycat

Reaction score
Crowoot is a good riding area and I don't think I have ever heard of an avy there...............but we have avy conditions that havent been seen in 100 years so anywhere is possible. have heard of avys in areas that are very close to Crowfoot so be careful to stay in the area and not cross into Griz.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The place the lady died was on the groomed trail-she off the side of it and the sled landed on her.

O know avy's are possible everywhere but they are more likely to happen in certain areas on certain mountains. If I had to guess which ones were higher risk and which ones were lower risk-I would say Crowfoot was a lower risk-but Im trying to confirm that. Crowfoot is only around 6000' and once you're up there, there aren't too many steep hills which I dont mind-I like boondocking through the trees and playing in the fresh pow-not really in to highmarking.

Here are a couple pics from our last trip....ok maybe not...anyone know why I get an error saying im missing security tokens??

try uploading 1 pic at a time

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did make it over to the bottom of Grizz-not up to the cabin. What makes Grizz worse than Crowfoot?

Here are the pics...thanks for the hint powderslut

Attachments

• dave002.jpg
    dave002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
  • dave003.jpg
    dave003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 25
  • dave004.jpg
    dave004.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 28

spike7ss

Reaction score
What makes gizz worse for avys is there is actually some steep slopes on the far side of the mountain. There is lots of places to bomb throught the trees on crow foot with out getting into trouble.

Couple pics I have from years gone by

bctrip007.jpeg

shuswap-feb-003.jpg

someone else took these pics
crowfoot-powder.jpeg

crowfoot-powder-2.jpg

Top Bottom