Should I turbo?

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried this on Skidoo - Turbo, but I thought I would try it here to see if I could get more input. I have a 2015 summit T3. I have always wanted a turbo but have been Leary due to reliability and having to mess with tuning. I see lots of guys build them and then sell them within a season or so. this makes me wonder how reliable are they. I don't want to run huge boost, Just enough for around 200HP. My Question is can a guy be happy with a turbo? Can I run my sled with a turbo for several years? I know it will require more then normal maintence but will it be relatively reliable? Thanks for any input. Also why are 4 strokes better to turbo then 2 strokes? Thanks guys.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mountain magic will answer all your questions. I ride with a couple guys that have an areocharger system 5lbs boost from mountain magic and they are a blast. Very reliable and next to no tuning. The only tuning I have seen them do is add or take away a bit of fuel. Mountain magic have those systems dialled I n pretty good.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A boosted 4 stroke motor will last 8 times longer then a boosted 2 stroke. Just that you have to settle for the extra weight thing.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you should turbo. Generally they do require more maintenance, it is harder on belts, clutches, tracks, and of course motor parts. I generally pull the top end of my Polaris motor down every fall to check everything out, I have 2400km on it with the turbo and no turbo related issues, i do have to service the clutch bushings more frequently but nothing major. Mostly I do the top end for peace of mind. Which turbo kit you get will also have a lot to do with it, if you get a good kit that can precisely control fueling it will both perform well and have little risk of melting down the motor. If you cheap out you are likely to spend considerably more down the road in frustration with broken parts and other issues, pay the money up front. You will also pay more for fuel as you will likely require AVGas or racefuel to ensure enough octane to prevent detonation.

Personally I would recommend you talk to Neil at Boost-It, he has absolutely superb customer service and a kit that runs like no other. Plus he is based here in Alberta.

Check out some of his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jJwePL-Z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgKr7dJfadE

fixx

Reaction score
Three words.....

Yes you should. :D
�������������� ok I can't stop lmfao!!!!!!!!!!����������... Ya sure you should ����������..... Well my advise is to ride with this guy first ..... If he makes it out of the parking lot lmao ,,,,,

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few big bores run pretty strong and had 0 tuning with them.. I have ran many turbos also and had a aerocharger on my 14 xm, it ran ok but don't ever think there is no tuning involved or extra maintenance also, those wet damp days are the worst, very hard to get them to run as clean as a stocker forsure..

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
�������������� ok I can't stop lmfao!!!!!!!!!!����������... Ya sure you should ����������..... Well my advise is to ride with this guy first ..... If he makes it out of the parking lot lmao ,,,,,

WTF you taking about, you have never seen this sled down. I killed an engine after riding 21 kms of ice and it won't make it out of the parking lot :confused:It drove to the trailer that day. :loser:

My advise is don't waste your money on cheap kits. Spend the money and get a kit that has been tested to death.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Yes to turbo, love mine for sure. Definitely buy the best kit you can but do your research as the ski-doo in particular is really sensitive to detonation and the rods like to go through the block which gets expensive, saw a few sleds down last year because of it. Not slamming the doo at all but rather giving you the facts that all kits are not equal. I would also give thumbs up to boost it and aerocharger but as for some of the others.......well you should figure that out.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your other buddies have boost and you need or want to keep up then yes to best. If your the first in your group they will hate you cause they will have to spend thousands to have as much fun as you. I have have the hate on for catman, this turbo game is $$$$$$$$!!!but I'm sure I'll forgive him after the first 1/2 hr on the hill.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should I Turbo?? What kind of a stupid question is that??? That is kinda like asking if I should have sex with Kate Upton.

YES damn it! Always YES to the turbo question!! LOL

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should I Turbo?? What kind of a stupid question is that??? That is kinda like asking if I should have sex with Kate Upton.

YES damn it! Always YES to the turbo question!! LOL
Didn't know who Kate Upton was - Jesus! I don't know if I could handle a turbo :)

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbos are absolutely addictive! When they are set up well and working the way they are supposed to a turbo is a massive rush! Similar to putting a jet engine between your legs. Beware though, low boost tubos are a gateway drug that will lead to bigger, better, faster, more HP, more boost in no time! Soon you will be mainlining 17 lbs boost daily and justifying to yourself why another $15000 in upgrades is money well spent. Enjoy!

Top Bottom