Should I do this with a tarp?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey.... just asking you all if this is a good idea? I tarped up my tent trailer for the winter, never have done this before. My concern is moisture being trapped inside??, and mold? If any of you have experience with this sort of thing please let me know. The last few years I have left it "untarpped" and in spring the poplar trees make a mess of it, so this year after cleaning it really good I tarpped it up.

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• 2009_1108500IforsalePics0001.JPG
    2009_1108500IforsalePics0001.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 32

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
That's a beautiful thing. I've been wrapping my boat like that for years. Looks great in the spring.
If my sleds are outdoors in the summer I do basically the same thing over the covers.
Tarps....a great invention.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful thing. I've been wrapping my boat like that for years. Looks great in the spring.
If my sleds are outdoors in the summer I do basically the same thing over the covers.
Tarps....a great invention.

Sled Bunny, Thanks! I was, however, looking for a more scientific response to the moisture issue ??? :d:beer::beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey.... just asking you all if this is a good idea? I tarped up my tent trailer for the winter, never have done this before. My concern is moisture being trapped inside??, and mold? If any of you have experience with this sort of thing please let me know. The last few years I have left it "untarpped" and in spring the poplar trees make a mess of it, so this year after cleaning it really good I tarpped it up.

Scott I have heard both sides of the argument. I have also tarped my travel trailer and have had no issues whatsoever! I believe damaging UV rays from sunlight would be worse. Last couple years I have not tarped (too lazy) and can see the damage already. Going back to tarping! Think about it. You will not get moisture inside and all you get if any is some under the tarp. The trailer is waterproof and any mold would wash off easily. That said though I have never had mold period! I think our climate is too dry for it.

Just my two cents!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Oh ya don't forget to cover the tires if they recieve sun exposure! I just use a garbage bag on them! :beer::d:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
One more thing !!!

We are booked at the Continental in Valemount Dec. 27-29. Grab your brother and cousin and lets go sledding!! :d

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Norm!! :) Should'nt you be yanking someones tooth right now instead of yakkin with me? LOL

Thanks for the advise, I agree. I should take you up on the Valemount offer, last time was a blast.... we'll see :beer::beer:

PS still have'nt fixed the crack in my hood from the crash on the way down at Allen!! That was funny!, sort of?? ;)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Norm!! :) Should'nt you be yanking someones tooth right now instead of yakkin with me? LOL

Thanks for the advise, I agree. I should take you up on the Valemount offer, last time was a blast.... we'll see :beer::beer:

PS still have'nt fixed the crack in my hood from the crash on the way down at Allen!! That was funny!, sort of?? ;)

I got a whole new sled!! :eek::eek:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Candian Tire Blue tarps are truly water prroof for an extended period of time. The older they get they weather and the mesh lets in some standing water and lets in some air and water vapor. Since this is seasonal usage ( a few months ) I don't think is is going to be a big deal but it will keep the sun out and the popular sap out which is the main point. I think in your application it is a good thing to tarp your trailer. The benifits out weigh the cons. Let us know in the spring what you find.

:beer:

rob350

Reaction score
A good friend of mine works/ his parent's own a RV shop. After my parents bought a Holiday Trailer, they informed us that its a good idea to get a actual cover due to moister. So thats what we did. :beer:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My only issue would be moisture trapped in trailer with minimal chance to vent off. Better than leaving it out in the open.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would use it to cover your lime green cat so we don't have to look at.

hammerbike

Reaction score

I think it's a good idea, BUT I would lay a couple of 2X4's across the top, just to allow some air movement under the tarp. JMHO

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott,

Just a thought or two.....what about puting something underneath in the middle that will creat a peak so to speak so no pooling and air can circulate under there. Even thought you could put something in the middle along one or two sides to creat an airflow channel through the tarp.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure your cover is tight, you don't want the tarp to flap in the wind and scuff the sides of your trailer, talking from experience

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey... thanks to ALL of you for the great advice. I do have it nice and snug so the wind does'nt buffit the finsih etc. I think I will add a few 7 foot 2x2's under the tarp to allow some airflow.... mostly for the spring when things melt and the moisture is more promenant.

Thanks again for the imput :beer::beer:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hammerbike hit it on the head, lay a couple 2x4's on top for air flow....Have done it for years.....

Top Bottom