Short Box 5th wheel hitch

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a must to have a slider hitch in a short box, i know that you may need it for really tight turns. I have heard that if the kingpin is slightly infront of the camper that a slider is not required. Just looking for some input on this issue.

Scuba

jeffso

Reaction score
I have a short box and i can go well over 90 degrees without hittting anything kingpin is out ahead of trailer 2008 cougar

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your king pin is in front of the unit and not under it, you stand a better chance of not hitting. Measure the distance from your pin to the truck then measure from the pin to the corner of the trailer. Also put a straight edge in the box the height of truck and tip it towards the trailer …what was the difference between

Pin to truck …………………..
Pin to trailer corner………

Difference if Pin to Truck is more is the gap you’ll have on a tight turn, will the still be a gap if the truck and trailer lean towards one another.

It’s not just a tight turn on flat ground that can get you in trouble, if you frequent off road camping places watch out for the dip and turn...ie your having to turn through a dip the truck the front end of the truck is on the high side while the back end is low it can drastically decrease distance between truck and trailer.

Does the profile of the front of your trailer stick out….your turning through a dip will they use up all of your gap?

Placement of the hitch is also important, ideally you want to have the pin 1 ½” to 2” ahead of the axle, I have seen some installs that but it directly over or even behind the axle in order to get a better turning radius. You don’t get enough weight transfer to the front wheels, it creates a real bouncing effect that is hard on front and rear suspension, tires and not to mention the passengers…it can appear to be overloading the truck when it is within the weight class of the truck.

Lots of short box trucks haul 5th wheel trailers, you just need to know what you have and know what to avoid. When I was using a short box, I had a manual two position hitch (most are) the idea was that if the terrain was full of dips and turns I could manually move it to the back position it would put the hitch over the axle but it would be slow maneuvering …..never did use it ….but it was there….

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a short box:d crew cab dodge cummins and i have a 35 foot fifth wheel and i dont have a slider

Top Bottom